Sponsored

oem roof rack question: covers for the rear clamp bolts wont go in?

f3d

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX 2.7 Squatch HT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Im sure i installed this wrong somehow - i was in a rush this morning as I picked the rack up from another members house. I managed to get it installed easily enough, but I think i did something funky with the back attachment points. The triangle bolts are all the way in and torqued using the special tool, but theres almost zero room for the little cover flap to go in and keep the covers on. The rack also doesnt feel firm and can wiggle a little (it stayed put at highway speeds for over an hour), but I def botched something up. Any advice?

IMG_4551 2.jpg

IMG_4550 2.jpg
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's probably sitting a little funny and the bolts torque out before they were actually set. I'd undo all six, wiggle it around a bit, and re-torque them all. I found that the angle of the bolts seemed to rise a little as they went in so if they went in straight for you they may not be in right.
Best of luck!

Reactions: f3d
OP
OP
f3d

f3d

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX 2.7 Squatch HT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That was it... the bolts tighten a slide/bracket inside the housing but depending on how you put it on (in my case the wrong way), the slide tabs can be underneath the housing they are supposed to slide within. This creates interference and it torques out early. I took it all off and inspected/cleaned/reseated everything and it went back on perfectly - tightening down snugly as one would expect for a roof rack. just writing this up in case someone does the same stupid thing I did in the future and ends up searching. :)

OP
OP
f3d

f3d

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX 2.7 Squatch HT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Someone posted yesterday here and deleted asking about the triangle head bolt tool from ford. Here's the part no. but I also found that a 7mm socket might actually work. That last parts prob poor advice, but these shouldn't be torqued down too tight anyway.

IMG_6184.jpg

Sponsored

Jmgeiger

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Someone posted yesterday here and deleted asking about the triangle head bolt tool from ford. Here's the part no. but I also found that a 7mm socket might actually work. That last parts prob poor advice, but these shouldn't be torqued down too tight anyway.

Ford Bronco oem roof rack question: covers for the rear clamp bolts wont go in? IMG_6184
It was me, thanks for providing!

TTUHoopsFans

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Ford Bronco oem roof rack question: covers for the rear clamp bolts wont go in? IMG_6184
So we can use a 7mm socket and not the triangular tool?

OP
OP
f3d

f3d

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX 2.7 Squatch HT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So we can use a 7mm socket and not the triangular tool?
That's an option I found to work.. be careful with it though all of this stuff seems prone to stripping and being a PITA if it does. It doesnt need a lot of torque. YMMV.
Sponsored