First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since you asked, I think you have way too much stuff. 72 hours requires very little; shelter, signal, water.

As an example, you have at least four ways to cut wood. That Fiskars saw is probably the best little saw you can buy for the size and weight; it'll cut to length and provide fire starter as you do it (saw dust) but the chain saw is just extra weight. You may need fire, but you don't need to cook. You state you'll be remote, where "traditional radio/cell/satellite (especially when in the valleys) may not work". Then don't take any more batteries than you need for one flashlight. One fixed blade knife, or a multi-tool.

You literally have enough gear for a month, not 72 hours.

No offense meant, but it really looks like a tacti-cool set up and not a well thought-out set up to me; it's not a 72-hour kit. Less is more; slow is smooth.
Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lithium batteries rule - shelf life, cold, lightweight, don’t leak. I have personally pulled a lithium powered flashlight out my backup bag on a cold night after 15 years storage and it still worked like new.
Forget about alkaline.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

First aid meds: keep it simple with the following basics:
  • Tylenol
  • Ibuprofen
  • Pepto (pills)
  • Bandages
Optional:
  • Silvadene cream for burns (this stuff work!)
  • QuickClot to stop severe bleeding
  • Benadryl

Last edited:

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Since you asked, I think you have way too much stuff. 72 hours requires very little; shelter, signal, water.

As an example, you have at least four ways to cut wood. That Fiskars saw is probably the best little saw you can buy for the size and weight; it'll cut to length and provide fire starter as you do it (saw dust) but the chain saw is just extra weight. You may need fire, but you don't need to cook. You state you'll be remote, where "traditional radio/cell/satellite (especially when in the valleys) may not work". Then don't take any more batteries than you need for one flashlight. One fixed blade knife, or a multi-tool.

You literally have enough gear for a month, not 72 hours.

No offense meant, but it really looks like a tacti-cool set up and not a well thought-out set up to me; it's not a 72-hour kit. Less is more; slow is smooth.
I've been enjoying reading this thread, and I did see a couple things I might add to my gear....

But I agree. It seems more like a bugout bag than a 72-hour kit. I love it, but it sounds like what I take for a week or more.

Really, really important:
That silly, tiny, folded-up foil blanket. And not just for cold. We knew some guys who got lost and the rescuers found them quickly because they set a flashlight on the blanket and they spotted that from the air.

Plus I cannot stress enough the importance of Benadryl.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One thing that I've seen some people pack in their bag.

A jar of peanut butter.

It's compact, it keeps for a while (though you want to replace it on a somewhat regular basis), it provides protein and carbohydrates to keep you going for a couple of days.
Sponsored