MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some steel wool and some 9 volt batteries. Touching the batteries to the steel wool makes a fantastic and simple fire starter.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

or a M1A
but really all that is needed is a good 22lr with xtra shells for food gathering and self defense .
When I was a kid, I always wanted an AR-7. Maybe it was James Bond influence, maybe it looked cool in the Sears catalog (It was a thick paper thing, the most exciting of which came out just before Christmas, and Sears was like the Amazon of the day because you could buy anything in that catalog and have it mailed to your house wherever you lived...). Anyway apparently takedown camp guns are still a thing: https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/takedown-camp-guns/

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How do you like that solar charger? Iā€™ve been meaning to pick one of those up, but have been jaded by past portable ā€œchargersā€ that barely maintain charge let alone add to it.
That charger has been in my bag for over 6 months. I checked the charge and it was down only 1 (of five) bars. I havenā€™t tested out the whole recharge in sunlight trick. I guess I should do that, but the reviews were positive.
[/QUOTE]

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Y'all are too butch for me. šŸ˜

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bag is pretty heavy, 47 pounds I believe. Stuff that should help me should I get stuck out in the woods. Any thoughts on what I am missing or stuff that is too redunant? Consider that I am called out on a moments notice, hours away up in the mountains and in locations where traditional radio/cell/satellite (especially when in the valleys) may not work, but have dispatch who would respond if they haven't been in contact with us in a pre-determined time.
Outstanding.

Only things that in my opinion may make difference that are in mine:
-I have a small handheld diamond stone knife sharpener. Dull knives are a recipe for disaster.
-I have H20 purification straws and collapsible containment bags that you can affix to catch rainwater as well.
-I try and avoid stuff that takes batteries. If I have them, I use rechargeable batteries and carry a couple of solar chargers.
-wind-up weather radio/flashlight/strobe combo off Amazon.
-Suture kits in addition to the first aid stuff you listed. Plus a collapsible splint.
-snake bite kit (you may have listed it).
-emergency foil body blanket (folds up to the size of a deck of cards. Until you use it and you'll never get it folded back small like that again.)
-Paracord and some plastic toothed tarp-clamps (can make an impromptu shelter pretty quick or a means to gather rainwater as a funnel).
-spare ammo/mags
-Smallest set of binoculars that are usable. Night vision capable is a plus.
-Spare glasses/contacts if you are vision impaired. A broken set of glasses is no bueno if you can't see what you are up against.
-Couple of tubes of super glue (also handy as a last-ditch first aid in the event it is needed)

Sponsored

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Outstanding.

Only things that in my opinion may make difference that are in mine:
-I have a small handheld diamond stone knife sharpener. Dull knives are a recipe for disaster.
-I have H20 purification straws and collapsible containment bags that you can affix to catch rainwater as well.
-I try and avoid stuff that takes batteries. If I have them, I use rechargeable batteries and carry a couple of solar chargers.
-wind-up weather radio/flashlight/strobe combo off Amazon.
-Suture kits in addition to the first aid stuff you listed. Plus a collapsible splint.
-snake bite kit (you may have listed it).
-emergency foil body blanket (folds up to the size of a deck of cards. Until you use it and you'll never get it folded back small like that again.)
-Paracord and some plastic toothed tarp-clamps (can make an impromptu shelter pretty quick or a means to gather rainwater as a funnel).
-spare ammo/mags
-Smallest set of binoculars that are usable. Night vision capable is a plus.
-Spare glasses/contacts if you are vision impaired. A broken set of glasses is no bueno if you can't see what you are up against.
-Couple of tubes of super glue (also handy as a last-ditch first aid in the event it is needed)
Really excellent list, with one objection (my opinion, YMMV).

While they don't take up much room in your bag, I disagree on including a snake bite kit. Wildlife and medical professionals believe kits that include a suction device can do more harm than good and that not understanding when to employ a tourniquet can cause you to lose a limb. Everyone should make up their own mind based on educating themselves, of course. IMO, this is worth reading:

How to survive a snakebite in the wilderness ā€” The Asclepius Snakebite Foundation

Snakebite Kits ā€¦ Do They Work? | True North Wilderness Survival School (exploretruenorth.com)

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Outstanding.
-snake bite kit (you may have listed it
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to incorporate these. Rechargeable batteries I will have to look into. Precious attempts left me disappointed with performance and power storage times.
Recently moved into snake country. Any recommendations on snake bit kits?

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently moved into snake country. Any recommendations on snake bit kits?
I personally don't think they are worth buying/carrying. The kits advertised on Amazon or at Cabelas can give a false sense of security, IMO. The curator of the wildlife center I work at has worked with snakes for 15+ years. She said something that really stuck in my head (paraphrasing here): The knowledge you educate yourself with about how to react to a bite is far more valuable in saving your life and limbs than any snake bite kit could ever be.

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

personally don't think they are worth buying/carrying. The kits advertised on Amazon or at Cabelas can give a false sense of security, IMO. The curator of the wildlife center I work at has worked with snakes for 15+ years. She said something that really stuck in my head (paraphrasing here): The knowledge you educate yourself with about how to react to a bite is far more valuable in saving your life and limbs than any snake bite kit could ever be.
After doing a lot of research on snake bites, I came to the same conclusion. I was told the most valuable piece of kit for a snake bike is a Sharpie and knowledge.

If you get bit, circle the wound, write down the time, and the name or distinct markings of the snake. Update your markings as swelling or symptoms get worse, etc. If you are found unconscious or disoriented, this information can be invaluable for folks that find you. It also gives you something to focus on so you don't panic, take off running, and get injured worse.

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

not sure whatā€™s in first aid kit but would include Benadryl for allergic reactions,
Came here to say this. The #1 thing I give out are allergy related.

I studied pure sciences including herpetology (work in tech engineering but many reptiles still at home). Lots of friends in zoos and field science teams - the kits are not useful IMO. Colorado has both haemotoxin and nurotoxin snakes (look up range and how to ID Crotalus concolor because they have an especially nasty neurotoxin).

The sharpie and timer advice above is useful and REALLY try to get a good ID/photo on what bit you. Antivenins are not universal. This seems like a good article for CO: https://kool1079.com/colorado-deadlly-snake-midget-faded-rattlesnake/ If you come down to Big Bend country in TX you'll be exposed to pretty much every category of venom and that goes for much of the Desert SW region from BB over to the Mojave.

Also, it has been decades since I packed a personal shovel. Do you keep an extraction tool/shovel on your rig? Great list and thread!

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really excellent list, with one objection (my opinion, YMMV).

While they don't take up much room in your bag, I disagree on including a snake bite kit. Wildlife and medical professionals believe kits that include a suction device can do more harm than good and that not understanding when to employ a tourniquet can cause you to lose a limb. Everyone should make up their own mind based on educating themselves, of course. IMO, this is worth reading:

How to survive a snakebite in the wilderness ā€” The Asclepius Snakebite Foundation

Snakebite Kits ā€¦ Do They Work? | True North Wilderness Survival School (exploretruenorth.com)
Hmm.
Very sound advice in that first link, especially.
I may trash the kits knowing this.
I just incorporated them with the tribal knowledge I guess we all have that they work.
Sounds like a bad day and makes sense that it might concentrate the toxin in a small area and cause more tissue damage.
So yeah, no snakebite kits!

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Came here to say this. The #1 thing I give out are allergy related.

I studied pure sciences including herpetology (work in tech engineering but many reptiles still at home). Lots of friends in zoos and field science teams - the kits are not useful IMO. Colorado has both haemotoxin and nurotoxin snakes (look up range and how to ID Crotalus concolor because they have an especially nasty neurotoxin).

The sharpie and timer advice above is useful and REALLY try to get a good ID/photo on what bit you. Antivenins are not universal. This seems like a good article for CO: https://kool1079.com/colorado-deadlly-snake-midget-faded-rattlesnake/ If you come down to Big Bend country in TX you'll be exposed to pretty much every category of venom and that goes for much of the Desert SW region from BB over to the Mojave.

Also, it has been decades since I packed a personal shovel. Do you keep an extraction tool/shovel on your rig? Great list and thread!
Great perspective. Really appreciate the input from someone with scientific knowledge.

Benadryl is good to have in the FAK no matter what.

I carry a 4-foot-long shovel with a fiberglass handle using QuikFists on my roof rack. In my area, having a long handle is key if I need to throw dirt on a fire from a safe distance. And if I go shooting, a long-handled shovel actually is required on federal lands. I also carry a folding metal trowel in my emergency survival bag. I also have a shovel with a blade that has tooth points on it, called a Krazy Beaver, that my son gave me as a present. It works well in some rocky soils or frozen ground, but is not the greatest for sand, so I only carry it at certain times. It's Krazy Expensive, too, so I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Last edited:

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very informative write up and response's

I have given my son in laws both military style compasses to which they hold up their cellphones

Hopefully they tuck them away some where

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trail marking tape and portable jump starter. You can use the portable jump starter to charge quite a few things as well.
Sponsored