J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m gonna fly solo then. Im pretty pumped.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ll ask in advance that you please forgive me for being slow…but is there a book or a starting point to learn about going off roading and what equipment is needed? When providing ideas please keep in mind that I am from Virginia and don’t read so good. Thanks
I'd recommend:
1) Ask around about some trails that are not too difficult, and go hit them. That's how I started out, before classes and stuff became a thing, just go do it.
2) Avoid buying a bunch of gear until after getting some off-roading under your belt. That way you'll have experience and buy what you actually need instead of burning money doing the over-equip thing.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just choose the Bronco towards the front or the one that looks like it will head out first and the instructor will most likely ride with you. Don't worry about trying to get into your same model or specific color. We were left with an Iconic Silver Bronco and it off-roaded just fine.

JBKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also like this book and there is a more recent edition out for cheaper: The Four-Wheeler's Bible: The Complete Guide to Off-Road and Overland Adventure Driving, Revised & Updated (Motorbooks Workshop) https://a.co/d/cJvVJkl
Judging a book by it's cover… it's a shame they replaced the Bronco on the front of the newer edition.

I've got the older edition though, and it's a good one.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Off-roading for dummies?

You should find this helpful and informative:

Sponsored

JBKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to Moab solo, and it was great. I rode lead w/ the instructor (Jamie), and got plenty of time to ask all of the questions I could think of. He was great to talk to, and put up every little thing I could think of to ask.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you go to Texas Off Roadeo, make sure and call and ask to get Ace as your guide, she's great at the instruction part. Then show up early and be ready to get the first Bronco, which is what she'll ride in. We did not have a second instructor, so my brother and I were tail gunner. I hear if you go during the week and not weekend, you can get into smaller groups.

I would also recommend going to Merus on a weekend Jonathan is the green guide. He's a good instructor. With Merus, you'll be in a group and get hours of off roading. You may consider blues, but with too little experience, they can be challenging.

You can also call Hidden Falls and see if they have guided runs or instruction available.

Make sure and get OnX and actually zoom in and look around for off roading nearby. The Breckenridge Byway isn't too thrilling (I've been on it), but it can be interesting/pretty and does give you some wheel time.

Know if you go out yourself, you want to stay within your experience, so 2-3/10 should be good to learn on. Always have a plan in mind, like being able to back out. Get out and look, better to go slow than get stuck by yourself if you're not winch ready. This time of year watch out for water/mud; you may get stuck and need a winch or recovery boards. If you're out in a park with others, there's usually someone able to help. On your own, you may be calling a wrecker (probably getting stuck in mud more than wedged on a rock), which can be expensive.

OP
OP
JRMFFL531

JRMFFL531

Wildtrak
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dude you’re like a Master Jedi of this shit. I love it.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Roger that. I just need to pick a day and go down to the one in Texas. Was trying to find a wingman to roll down there with. But I’m ready to get after it.
Go solo to the Off Rodeo. More than likely you’ll be able to drive your assigned Bronco all day and the instructor rides with you. Not to mention, you are first in line with the group of broncos. I went solo and experienced exactly that.

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll ask in advance that you please forgive me for being slow…but is there a book or a starting point to learn about going off roading and what equipment is needed? When providing ideas please keep in mind that I am from Virginia and don’t read so good. Thanks
I recommend searching YouTube. There are some excellent videos from Overlanding channels. Trail Recon, Justin McBride, Ozark Overland, etc.

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just. Send. It.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go solo to the Off Rodeo. More than likely you’ll be able to drive your assigned Bronco all day and the instructor rides with you. Not to mention, you are first in line with the group of broncos. I went solo and experienced exactly that.
My experience too!
Sponsored