First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not sure. Perhaps it has something to do putting too much stress on the clutch, causing premature wear and potential failure. But that's just my guess.
Can't count on the drivers to not hammer through it while slipping the clutch LOL
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
you get WAY more power than the 3.6L Wrangler. So if the 2.7L being auto only is a deal breaker, where are you going to go? An even less powerful Wrangler? I just don't understand...
Not getting a Bronco is an option. The Bronco was going to be a fun, stick daily that could offroad a bit and pull a racecar. With no manual on the good engine and no more towing capacity than the 2.7 EcoBoost MKX I already own, it offers no advantage to me.

I'm well aware of area under the curve. I am a Ford engineer who does powertrain development for a living. The 2.3L develops great torque at low RPM. Peak torque comes at 3000 RPM. The 3.6L doesn't hit peak torque until 4800 RPM.
"Power under the curve matters." Then you immediately try and call out peak numbers?

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Even if the peak hits at 4600, it's still a very very flat torque curve from 2500 on up. Obviously the 2.3EB makes more, but trying to pretend that the Pentastar is peaky or you have to rev it to 4600rpm to make torque is disingenuous.

I just think a lot of the negative Nancys on here need to actual DRIVE THE VEHICLE before they decide they won't buy one.
Because the 4cyl EcoBoost is hot thrashy garbage. I've driven bunches of them, including on Lincolns, where you think they'd care about NVH, but they feel exactly like driving my parents' old '99 Contour - they vibrate, there's an echo-y hollow, buzzy intake sound, and the exhaust sounds horrible. Sure by the numbers it's fine, but the actual driving experience is terrible.

I believe they have different bellhousings. Plus the max torque rating on the manual transmission may not have been sufficient for the 2.7L.
A Ford powertrain engineer doesn't even know bellhousings?

what the heck is part time selective engagement in the base 4x4, if i put it in 4wd, i want 4wd not part time.
"Part time" 4x4 is regular, traditional locking 4x4, the kind you want - "4H" on the dial. "Full time" 4x4 is automatic 4wd, the kind that is useful in snow and other on-road driving - "4A" on the dial. Every Bronco has "Part time," some have "Full time."

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah I see. I misinterpreted what you were saying. You are correct. My apologies!
I do apologize if I am coming across somewhat assholish, I am a bit aggrivated. between these two gripes, which are both related to the manual, and the subscription nav, Ford got SO SO close to nearly perfect.

Of course 5 years down the road this may be a simple solution, depending on bellhousings, not sure on the bolt patterns for the 2.3 and 2.7, but I for once would like to get an off-road toy with a warranty.

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 bronco. 2018 chevy z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
So what's the deal with the white top and white grill in these? Is that somehow included in the Sasquatch package that spans all trims? Absolutely have to have the white.
yes the white top is so much cooler when your baking in the sun

Sponsored

SloppyCory07

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 FSB, 14 F350, 19 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OMG! I've been lurking this forum for years on and off and have appreciated a lot of you... So thanks. Only thing I'm disappointed with is the manual not being available on the 2.7 because that is my 2nd favorite Ford engine after the 5.2. I can live with the 10 spd though and will be buying a Black Diamond 2 door with the Sasquatch package and color is TBD because I have to let the wife decide one thing about this vehicle.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Haha. You know what I meant!
ok... um... a Bronco with a white roof? That any better? ?

Are you sure you don't own a Jeep? Cuz you're kinda being stupid like a Jeep fanboy right now!

Seriously though, you're making this way too easy for me right now, I'm cracking myself up.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My understanding is that it utilizes the traction control system and ABS to brake the inside wheel. So I guess you could probably find a way to flash different software to the ABS module to enable it and then add the physical switch. I'm sure someone will figure this out after they go on sale.
ok, I can live with that I think. So now it is, how hard to swap the 2.3 for a 2.7 crate. Bellhousing will be part of this.

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 bronco. 2018 chevy z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
300,000 miles is far beyond our engineering targets, and frankly, no one in the industry designs for that kind of durability in a light-duty vehicle. Commercial vehicles are a different story. But our light-duty vehicles are usually engineered with 150,000 mile life before major repairs are needed. I think you will find that to be pretty standard in the industry.
150k on the clock , your just about getting it paid for, and time for major repairs, the v8 isnt that way,
i I know that isnt an option, i understand that at 150 k its time to buy a new one.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
150k on the clock , your just about getting it paid for, and time for major repairs, the v8 isnt that way,
i I know that isnt an option, i understand that at 150 k its time to buy a new one.
At least it's not true old school.

Because those burned a quart of oil a week and needed a full rebuild before 100k miles.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At least it's not true old school.

Because those burned a quart of oil a week and needed a full rebuild before 100k miles.
granted that was a $500 rebuild that took a weekend if nothing was really busted.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
granted that was a $500 rebuild that took a weekend if nothing was really busted.
And most blocks would have at least two guys that could do it.

But that's just not a thing any more.

Pretty sure you can buy a full rebuild kit for a 350 for like 200 bucks still lol