JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And most blocks would have at least two guys that could do it.

But that's just not a thing any more.

Pretty sure you can buy a full rebuild kit for a 350 for like 200 bucks still lol
both me and my neighbor can build a small block with our eyes closed. me on Ford, him on piles of junk with a bowtie. He has alot more experience though.....wonder why?
Sponsored

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 bronco. 2018 chevy z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
300,000 miles is far beyond our engineering targets, and frankly, no one in the industry designs for that kind of durability in a light-duty vehicle. Commercial vehicles are a different story. But our light-duty vehicles are usually engineered with 150,000 mile life before major repairs are needed. I think you will find that to be pretty standard in the industry.
my 350 vortec was sold at 460k , it wasa a better truck than i bought, buddy has a gm v6 with 560k, he got free oil changes just so they could see it, was a standard tranny too . he passed away last year, itried to get the truck but it was scrapped bu his idiot son.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ok, I can live with that I think. So now it is, how hard to swap the 2.3 for a 2.7 crate. Bellhousing will be part of this.
2.7 shares a bellhousing with the 3.5NA, 3.7NA, and 3.5EB. The only manual transmission made for that bellhousing was the MT-82 in the V6 Mustang. Adapting it to a transfer case would be a hassle, you'd probably be better off using a divorced transfer case setup.

It'd be slightly simpler (though still not easy) to engineer a bellhousing adapter plate that would let you bolt the Bronco 7 speed to the V6. You'd need a custom flywheel to get the starter ring gear and flywheel friction surface all in the right locations. You couldn't necessarily use the factory engine mounts, as even if the transmission mating face is in the same front-to-back location on both the V6 and 4cyl, when you add the thickness of the adapter plate, you either have to push the engine forward or the transmission backward. So that means you either compress the accessory drive up front (and possibly sacrifice cooling) or you push the trans back and then deal with shifter location and custom driveshaft lengths.

Plus you'd have to deal with tuning - so much of the engine and transmission control is intertwined. To get a stock 2.7 ECU to run the engine without going into limp mode or throwing fault codes because it can't find and control the transmission would take a pretty significant feat of engineering.

I'd hardly be worth the effort for someone to do on their own without the backing of an OEM engineering team.

wxsquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How is this possible? Aren't they blacklisted? Or was that just clickbait? ?
These are from the media packet anyone can download off the Ford site. I grabbed them some an earlier post in this thread. Great detail ...

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Slide-out gate was in the accessory part of the video, so I'm guessing it's not standard.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 shares a bellhousing with the 3.5NA, 3.7NA, and 3.5EB. The only manual transmission made for that bellhousing was the MT-82 in the V6 Mustang. Adapting it to a transfer case would be a hassle, you'd probably be better off using a divorced transfer case setup.

It'd be slightly simpler (though still not easy) to engineer a bellhousing adapter plate that would let you bolt the Bronco 7 speed to the V6. You'd need a custom flywheel to get the starter ring gear and flywheel friction surface all in the right locations. You couldn't necessarily use the factory engine mounts, as even if the transmission mating face is in the same front-to-back location on both the V6 and 4cyl, when you add the thickness of the adapter plate, you either have to push the engine forward or the transmission backward. So that means you either compress the accessory drive up front (and possibly sacrifice cooling) or you push the trans back and then deal with shifter location and custom driveshaft lengths.

Plus you'd have to deal with tuning - so much of the engine and transmission control is intertwined. To get a stock 2.7 ECU to run the engine without going into limp mode or throwing fault codes because it can't find and control the transmission would take a pretty significant feat of engineering.

I'd hardly be worth the effort for someone to do on their own without the backing of an OEM engineering team.
well, with the bellhousing not matching yeah, it is very likely a no-go unfortunately, I would have been ok with the 2.7. Maybe Ford will provide options in a year or 3. The software isn't much of an issue, many companies are mating software from different stuff together in various fashions.

Wolfsburg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F-150, 1968 Ford Mustang California Special, 1969 Ford Mustang coupe, 1963 Volkswagen Beetle
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well overall I'm liking what I see (minus the expected missing V8 of course), but my biggest surprise is the pricing! It's far more affordable than what some had suggested and a 28k base is fantastic. Very competitive pricing with Jeep in a hopefully superior package.

Last edited:

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
At least it's not true old school.

Because those burned a quart of oil a week and needed a full rebuild before 100k miles.
mine didn't burn oil , busted a crank shaft though, bought a wrecked bronco for parts and replaced my engine,

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
well, with the bellhousing not matching yeah, it is very likely a no-go unfortunately, I would have been ok with the 2.7. Maybe Ford will provide options in a year or 3. The software isn't much of an issue, many companies are mating software from different stuff together in various fashions.
Don't be so quick to just hand-wave tuning away as a magic cure-all. Read about these people that swapped an Infiniti from an auto to a manual. And keep in mind this was on a vehicle that had a flywheel and transmission that bolted straight up with no adaptation. It takes time, knowledge, and persistence to get that sort of thing working, and I doubt you'd be willing to self-fund the R&D to accomplish it.

https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/installing-a-manual-transmission-in-the-infiniti-q60-red-sport/

Sponsored

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Slide-out gate was in the accessory part of the video, so I'm guessing it's not standard.
wonder what weight capacity on the slide out is, i was hoping for a tailgate , spent a lot of time on one visiting with friends,

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nothing mentioned about the hybrid...

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wonder what weight capacity on the slide out is, i was hoping for a tailgate , spent a lot of time on one visiting with friends,
Was said here a couple days ago that 2 adults could sit on it

edit: @laj.tuxmek is too fast

PAPA old school

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I said this in another thread, but I will repeat it here. It will easily hold two full-sized adults, as long as those adults aren't morbidly obese.
so still no weight limit ? what is your definition of morbidly obese?