Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t have a lot of experience with Fords, my last one was a 2000 F250 SD 7.3. You wouldn’t notice a shudder with that beast banging and clattering away.

I did experience the shudder with my 2010 VW Golf TDI. The intercooler would collect oil and moisture from the EGR valve until it filled and blocked the intake side. I’d jump in hit the start button wait while gauges did their sweep and glow plugs warmed up, foot on the brake, hit the button again, and...
instead of nice cold air it would suck up a gulp of sludge, motor would shake like a washing machine off balance, big cloud of steam and vapor out the exhaust. I’m not sure what it was doing to the engine internals but it didn’t feel good.
Ford Bronco Oil Catch Can?? 1616937830285

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...is-your-intercooler-frozen-check-here.302863/
Sponsored

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll definitely be installing one. I have one on my 2019 3.5 Ecoboost, and if people could see what I drain out of it every few months it would be a no-brainer installation. The port injection on the 2.7 only helps with the build-up on the intake valves, it doesn’t solve all the other issues that the catch can helps with (the biggest being the buildup in the inner cooler). I installed an easy drain on my (NPR brand), it takes literally 20 seconds from start to finish to drain. I plan to take my laziness to the next level on the Bandlands and use one of the pre-installed switches and hook it to an electrically controlled solenoid valve...just flip the switch to drain

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the presence of an oil catch can cause issues at resale or for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owners who may not be aware that the 1st owner installed one?

I can tell you that I never even heard of a catch can until I joined these forums and I don't change my own oil so it seems like it could be a problem as I'm a 2nd owner ony current car.

Dewreckingcrew

Badlands
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 3.5 Boost and 2009 6.4 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the presence of an oil catch can cause issues at resale or for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th owners who may not be aware that the 1st owner installed one?

I can tell you that I never even heard of a catch can until I joined these forums and I don't change my own oil so it seems like it could be a problem as I'm a 2nd owner ony current car.
IMO, to keep it short and sweet, it would be just like you had no catch can...

Sponsored

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does anyone believe Catch Cans are "required" equipment on the Ecoboost engines? I have had a 3.5L Ecoboost for 8 years without a CC, but I have had the engine shudder issues in the past with it...but still never installed one. I did have to replace a turbo on it, but not sure if that is related or not...

Has anyone installed on an Ecoboost? Going to install again for your Bronco?

DYI project or wait for a complete kit to come out specifically for the Bronco?

I have read they are more important for Direct Injection engines, so this would apply to both the 2.3 and 2.7 engines in the Bronco.

Also, what are other Mods that are recommended for Ecoboost engines, for reliability and/or performance?
2.7L is a direct and port injection motor. Having said that....I will install a catch can to remove as much debris from the pvc system before it goes back into the intake

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like someone said above... You can:t trust the end-user to empty them.
CARB regulations. The factory can’t bypass the pcv system because of pollution regulations. CARBregulations are not the norm in all states But it’s easier for the factory to abide by them.
Psst! Don’t ask, don’t tell! 😂
Sponsored