Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford adds it to the B&P and warranties it, I'll put one on no problem. If not, it won't see one. The 6.4 in my avatar will never see a catch can.
Hopefully for those that go 2.3l, it will be in the Ford Performance catalog day 1. It seems to get harder and harder to justify the 2.3 unless you have to have the manual. Assuming the Ford tune is $800 (probably more) and the catch can is $200 (probably more) you are only about $600 less than the 2.7 and you give up 50 lb. ft. of additional torque. If you go higher hp tune, it requires higher octane fuel and your cost savings completely disappears. The 2.7 also has a much higher potential for tuning in the future as well. I am still curious about how the handling and off road performance varies with the lighter weight and better packaging of the 2.3. We won’t get those answers prior to oredering ??
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Hopefully for those that go 2.3l, it will be in the Ford Performance catalog day 1. It seems to get harder and harder to justify the 2.3 unless you have to have the manual. Assuming the Ford tune is $800 (probably more) and the catch can is $200 (probably more) you are only about $600 less than the 2.7 and you give up 50 lb. ft. of additional torque. If you go higher hp tune, it requires higher octane fuel and your cost savings completely disappears. The 2.7 also has a much higher potential for tuning in the future as well. I am still curious about how the handling and off road performance varies with the lighter weight and better packaging of the 2.3. We won’t get those answers prior to oredering ??
The hp and torque quoted by Ford is with premium fuel so a tune isn't going to require more than you would have already been fueling with. The V6 requires the auto, so factor that cost in as well if you're comparing the numbers.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Alright guys I'll sum up everything so this dead horse can finally be buried.

Catch can w/2.3L i4 = Yes, it can't hurt unless you never maintenance your vehicle on time.
Catch can w/2.7L V6 with port injection = No, the port injectors clean the back side of the valves with gasoline.

If your local Ford dealership ever tries to hose you due to a catch can being installed, just simply take the vehicle to another Ford dealership with a reputable service department. Good to go!

Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF.gif

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hp and torque quoted by Ford is with premium fuel so a tune isn't going to require more than you would have already been fueling with. The V6 requires the auto, so factor that cost in as well if you're comparing the numbers.
Neither the 2.3 or 2.7 requires premium fuel "stock". Where did you find that Ford uses higher octane fuel in their engine ratings? Typically, with conservative factory tunes, higher octane does not deliver more power, but I may be missing something. I am assuming auto to auto comparison of cost (personally I want auto either way and if I go OBX, it comes with the trim level). I just looked at the Ranger tune and at 325HP already requires 91 octane. Again, for those that want a manual, I think the tune makes sense and will be a really fun, reliable and capable motor. If you are going auto, the 2.7 seems to make better sense, long term.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Neither the 2.3 or 2.7 requires premium fuel "stock". Where did you find that Ford uses higher octane fuel in their engine ratings? Typically, with conservative factory tunes, higher octane does not deliver more power, but I may be missing something. I am assuming auto to auto comparison of cost (personally I want auto either way and if I go OBX, it comes with the trim level). I just looked at the Ranger tune and at 325HP already requires 91 octane. Again, for those that want a manual, I think the tune makes sense and will be a really fun, reliable and capable motor. If you are going auto, the 2.7 seems to make better sense, long term.
Power question already answered but yes, auto to auto the offset cost is better spent on the V6 imo. If I was forced into an auto I'd have to factor the bigger engine and squatch, luckily I get a choice with a manual BL and maybe a tune if I can't keep up with traffic.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Power question already answered but yes, auto to auto the offset cost is better spent on the V6 imo. If I was forced into an auto I'd have to factor the bigger engine and squatch, luckily I get a choice with a manual BL and maybe a tune if I can't keep up with traffic.
I have to go auto. Messed up my knees in the Army. Since I have to go auto, 2.7 and squatch are given as well. Only thing I don't like is that the squatch comes with MT. I'll have to spend more and put AT on it. I learned my lesson with my Willys. Those MT tires were awful on the road. I just need to narrow down what model I want.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe that a catch can is absolutely essential on these engines. Heck, I have one on my N/A Grand Cherokee and I dump about 1/2 quart out of it between oil changes. That's 4+ quarts of oil being sucked through the intake manifold over 80,000 miles.

Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe that a catch can is absolutely essential on these engines. Heck, I have one on my N/A Grand Cherokee and I dump about 1/2 quart out of it between oil changes. That's 4+ quarts of oil being sucked through the intake manifold over 80,000 miles.
I watched a video of the installation of a catch can on a Ranger. They took the vapor line from the included air-oil separator to feed the catch can. The air-oil separator does what a catch can does except it dumps the oil back into the crankcase so there is nothing to empty. All the catch can can collect then is mostly water vapor which would go through the intake no problem.
if the Bronco 2.3 already has the air-oil separator then an additional catch-can is not needed. If it doesn’t have the air-oil separator then I’d say buy one from Ford or after-market that does dump the removed oil back to the crankcase.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not sure how similar the 2.3L in the Bronco is going to be to the 2.3L in my Focus RS but all of the DI EcoBoost engines definitely benefit from having one, that was the first "mod" I did on the RS.

Upgraded baffle plate will likely also be a commonly recommended swap for these - http://www.radiumauto.com/PCV-Baffle-Plate-Ford-EcoBoost-Duratec-Mazda-MZR-P1162.aspx

Top manufacturer and good explanation below the products: http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-Kit-2013-Focus-EcoBoost-P1110.aspx

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anyone believe Catch Cans are "required" equipment on the Ecoboost engines? I have had a 3.5L Ecoboost for 8 years without a CC, but I have had the engine shudder issues in the past with it...but still never installed one. I did have to replace a turbo on it, but not sure if that is related or not...

Has anyone installed on an Ecoboost? Going to install again for your Bronco?

DYI project or wait for a complete kit to come out specifically for the Bronco?

I have read they are more important for Direct Injection engines, so this would apply to both the 2.3 and 2.7 engines in the Bronco.

Also, what are other Mods that are recommended for Ecoboost engines, for reliability and/or performance?
Hopefully Billet Technologies comes out with one....they have some of the nicest looking ones in many colors and hose options too.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.... just wondering..... if there was a Dedicated Section for the 2.3L, where items related to it could be discussed..... so that this Dedicated Section for the 2.7L wouldn't get dragged into unrelated information..... that would be great...

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😒

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My son just bought a 2020 EcoBoost Mustang (about to graduate / first new car / had to replace the Jeep his brother totaled).

I was looking at the 2.3 and trying to figure this out. (Not as obvious as my Jeep 3.8L.) Mishimoto makes kits for both the Ranger and the Mustang so I would expect they’ll have one for the Bronco.
Sponsored