Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
a catch can is tiny. It is smaller than a can of mini coke. Trust me .. there is room and it is an easy install. It will take you less than 10 mins to install it ... at least the one from JLT.

Going to take a pic of the one in my 2019 Raptor and show you .. brb

JLT Catch Can on 2019 Raptor. It comes with hoses and all the necessary fittings. It actually uses Ford OEM quick connect hoses so literally you twist and pull off. You don't need to cut any hoses as it comes with the correct size. I am sure they will make one for the Bronco in both engines:

1600183811205.png
Why is this not a standard piece of equipment from Ford?
Sponsored

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

a catch can will be the first thing i do to this car and very early at that. keep that intake manifold clean.

Wouldn't want any danger to manifold, it could cause my floorboard to fall out while i am drag racing Dom in his RX-7.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Don't know but I am guessing it has to do with emissions and also most peeps barely change their oil and you would have to periodically check the catch can and empty it.

Why is this not a standard piece of equipment from Ford?

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something I saw online. Would this mean an Oil Catch Can might not be as necessary as pre-2018?

The EcoBoost F-150 is built Ford tough, is very well put together, and fairly low maintenance. The only real issue with the EcoBoost F-150 is with the direct injection in the engine. Direct fuel injection can cause excess carbon to build up on the valves which can harm engine performance.

Although it is not a widespread problem, Ford has revised the design of their 2.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost engine for 2018 going forward to include a high pressure direct, low pressure port hybrid fuel injection system. This hybrid fuel injection system is designed to keep the valves clean and not allow excess carbon to build up.

OP
OP
VelocityBronco

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something I saw online. Would this mean an Oil Catch Can might not be as necessary as pre-2018?

The EcoBoost F-150 is built Ford tough, is very well put together, and fairly low maintenance. The only real issue with the EcoBoost F-150 is with the direct injection in the engine. Direct fuel injection can cause excess carbon to build up on the valves which can harm engine performance.

Although it is not a widespread problem, Ford has revised the design of their 2.7L and 3.5L EcoBoost engine for 2018 going forward to include a high pressure direct, low pressure port hybrid fuel injection system. This hybrid fuel injection system is designed to keep the valves clean and not allow excess carbon to build up.
They fixed the problem for the 2.7 and 3.5, I assume the 3.0, but not on the 2.3, which is still only Direct Injected.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mr. Ashley every car forum in the US talks about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. The issue is that you better have deep pockets to goto to court with Ford and their lawyers to prove that your mods did not cause whatever issue Ford said it did.

I know you will have a wise response BUT again you better back it up with DEEP POCKERS if you plan to defend yourself in court.
Being aware of the MMWA and being able to site why a specific dealerships service manager should honor the warranty will resolve 90% of all problems. Bringing in the regional service manager will resolve another 9% of problems. 0.9% will go further up the chain of command for resolution and 0.1% will go to trial.

That ratio hasn't changed in the past 30 years.

If your mods are genuinely to blame and you're just trying to get warranty coverage to save money then you won't fall into any of the above and it's all anecdotal from that point as to what they will do for you (if anything).

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I could be mistaken, but I think there are some (if not all) turbo Porsche that run an Air Oil Separator/ Catch Can from the factory. Since I've only seen a couple turbo Porsche, I can't say for sure.
I have one on my Sti and drain it every oil change.

I've owned the car for 9 years now and the inter-cooler piping is fairly oil residue free.

I do plan on getting one as soon as I can for that extra piece of mind, since oil mist in the intake charge actually lowers the fuels octane rating and increases the chance of detonation.

Also, long time lurker that finally registered. Howdy.

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They fixed the problem for the 2.7 and 3.5, I assume the 3.0, but not on the 2.3, which is still only Direct Injected.
Fixed might be a debatable term in this case. Doubling the number of injectors, adding another low pressure injection pump, the added piping, hoses, connectors, seals, control wiring could also be considered a complicated bandaid for the only apparent concern...intake valve carbon build up. I'm going to take my chances with 4 injectors, good fuel, timely oil changes with highest quality oil and a catch can verses the 12 injectors option. Believe hp and torque on 2.3L will be sufficient for my needs as well

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I understand, its not a carbon buildup issue, more of a oil getting sucked out of your crankcase and put into the intake manifold, than collects in the inter-cooler and intake valves, gunking them up.
Has anyone had the shudder happen to them with the 2.7? It was a well known issue for the 3.5 F-150 for a while.
Oil getting into the combustion chamber reduces affective fuel octane which can lead to knock which then causes the engine to retard timing reducing power. It’s beneficial in even engines without forced induction. I had them on my GT350. I would routinely capture oil in them between oil changes, especially on track days. All engines will push some oil into the combustion chamber the more they are pushed.

Sponsored

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the 2.0 liter eco boost you have to pull the intake manifold to access the PCV valve which is bolted to the side of the block and connect a hose there. It’s the same for a 2.3. Just a bigger version of the same motor. I put one on my son’s Focus ST when I rebuilt it after it ate a piston at 80k miles. I’m getting the 2.7L in my bronco.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Have one in my oil burning 3.8L Jeep, and based on the discussions on here will be adding one to my 2.3L Bronco.

(Discussions Ford doesn’t like, or of non-Ford modifications are why Bronco Nation will go away and the pineapple pizza crowd at Bronco6g will rule.)

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the engine has dual fuel delivery, a catch can system is completely unnecessary. I had an early design (2015) 3.5TT that had only direct injection. I live in the Buffalo, NY area. In the summer it collected oil, fuel and moisture/water. In the winter it collected only water condensation. Problem was the condensation collected quickly(2-4 days) in extreme cold and froze in the can/line causing a vacuum issue and purging oil from the lubrication system and out through the valve cover to the tune of purging "4" quarts of oil from my pan/engine, after emptying the catch can only 2 days prior. I removed the catch can system IMMEDIATELY. Ford changed the engine/fuel system to remedy the reason why a catch can was necessary. I will NEVER install one again.
Dang, I want to install a catch can, but live in the MN cold. Making me think twice now. Can at least use for summer months only I guess.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You’re probably more experienced wrenching than me. We had clearance issues that made it difficult to connect one of the new PCV hoses for the can. It’s extremely tight under the engine and you can barely see it. I had to run out to Autozone to buy a shop light and we found another small cable back there that was interfering with the hose clamp preventing it from seating.

The other issue was simply getting the coolant lines disconnected from a sort of hook clamp so we could move it out of the way. The clamp was very firmly seated and took a lot of finessing and second guessing to remove without damaging anything.
Sponsored