Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I understood that the issue was the oil vapor was recirculated and would then build up on the back of the valves. With direct injection there is no flow over the valves to clean them off so it would build up.

With the addition of port injection on the 2.7 part of the air/gas mixture flows through the intake manifold where it can clean the back of the valves as it passes over them negating the need for a catch can.

But I am no expert.. others more qualified will surely pitch in better information.

Also this is a direct injection issue.. not a Ford issue. All direct injection motors have this potential.

I think Toyota also has the direct/port system? Can't remember exactly
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Most mechanics couldn't identify a catch can so it will not be an issue.

BTW .. I have never know anyone to be denied a warranty over a catch can. BTW, a catch actually helps the engine run cleaner.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It really depends on whether the dealership you use to get the vehicle serviced at are dbags lol. To be safe, ask your service department if they would have an issue with it.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealer (on behalf of Ford) would have to prove that an after part caused the issue in question, in my experience. It may take a small claims judge to decide, but generally, unless there is very specific causation, the tie would go to the individual, not the manufacturer.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Because it would mean another item you would have to service. Most peeps never change their oil and now you have to ask them to empty a can full of oil in their engine bay?

BTW .. ford engineer know it's a problem. The 3.5 when it 1st came out had issues with stuck valves due to carbon build up and instead of just adding a catch can Ford redesigned the 3.5 with port injection.

If catch cans are needed why do we not see it on any motor from the factory? ?‍♂

Sponsored

MachingBird

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If the engine has dual fuel delivery, a catch can system is completely unnecessary. I had an early design (2015) 3.5TT that had only direct injection. I live in the Buffalo, NY area. In the summer it collected oil, fuel and moisture/water. In the winter it collected only water condensation. Problem was the condensation collected quickly(2-4 days) in extreme cold and froze in the can/line causing a vacuum issue and purging oil from the lubrication system and out through the valve cover to the tune of purging "4" quarts of oil from my pan/engine, after emptying the catch can only 2 days prior. I removed the catch can system IMMEDIATELY. Ford changed the engine/fuel system to remedy the reason why a catch can was necessary. I will NEVER install one again.

Last edited:

BAMBALAM

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a JLT on my 2.7 and it collects a couple ounces between each oil change. Super easy install and quality part.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That Ford offers in their performance division an oil catch can which retains factory engine warranty would give you an overwhelmingly strong legal case by using the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

They would need to prove that the modification was the cause for whatever failure happened.

Ultimately this "could" be something your local dealership doesn't want to touch (for whatever reason), but you just go to the regional service manager and it will be taken care of.

Plus, dealerships LOVE IT when you go to the regional service manager because they are being obtuse.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mr. Ashley every car forum in the US talks about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. The issue is that you better have deep pockets to goto to court with Ford and their lawyers to prove that your mods did not cause whatever issue Ford said it did.

I know you will have a wise response BUT again you better back it up with DEEP POCKERS if you plan to defend yourself in court.

That Ford offers in their performance division an oil catch can which retains factory engine warranty would give you an overwhelmingly strong legal case by using the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

They would need to prove that the modification was the cause for whatever failure happened.

Ultimately this "could" be something your local dealership doesn't want to touch (for whatever reason), but you just go to the regional service manager and it will be taken care of.

Plus, dealerships LOVE IT when you go to the regional service manager because they are being obtuse.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Sponsored

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
a catch can is tiny. It is smaller than a can of mini coke. Trust me .. there is room and it is an easy install. It will take you less than 10 mins to install it at least the one from JLT.

Going to take a pic of the one in my 2019 Raptor and show you .. brb

JLT Catch Can on 2019 Raptor. It comes with hoses and all the necessary fittings. It actually uses Ford OEM quick connect hoses so literally you twist and pull off. You don't need to cut any hoses as it comes with the correct size. I am sure they will make one for the Bronco in both engines:

Ford Bronco Oil Catch Can?? 1600191642664
That is awesome. I’m going all in on the manual so I’ll have the 2.3L and I’d like a clean install like that!

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A23
Ford Performance catch can for 2.3 mustang. Might have one for the Ranger...not sure. Expect eventually to see one for Bronco...assume same can just vehicle specific hoses/connectors and brackets. Ill probably go aftermarket from a different company. Ford's legal disclaimer is for emissions I believe not violation of warranty. Couple of other threads on this forum thrashing around all the same comments and containing useful information. Use search function find more.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For warranty concerns, all you would have to do is reinstall the factory plumbing before any service. 10 Min tops.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For warranty concerns, all you would have to do is reinstall the factory plumbing before any service. 10 Min tops.
I just installed a catch can on my 2.3L Ranger this weekend. You do not want to ever touch this again. Yes, it was a 5 minute hose swap on the Mustang, but for the 2.3L you have to take off the driver's side wheel, unbolt an engine access panel, disconnect an electrical harness and unclip a bunch of hoses, contort yourself like some circus freak and route the new hoses up through the engine bay from the bottom of the engine / intake manifold. My husband and I are knuckleheads and it took us damn near 4 hours.

That said, a catch can couldn't affect warranty unless you failed to empty it. Only damage directly caused by an aftermarket swap could void a warranty and no serious mechanic could make a claim for something as trivial as a catch can.

I'm dreading it, but this is one of the first mods I will do on my Bronco...

[edit] Here's what you're dealing with. Unless you're an experienced mechanic it's not a 1.5hr job.
Sponsored