First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Bronco/2022 Explorer XLT 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Had my oil change today by my local Ford dealership and was in the process of dumping my catch can like I normally do after each oil change. Once I got the can loose I was greeted by this:
Ford Bronco Oil change at 20k, and found this in my catch can IMG_4647

Ford Bronco Oil change at 20k, and found this in my catch can IMG_4648

This if the first time I have seen the residue this much and this creamed coffee look. Most times it's very minimal and still relatively black. Wondering if any of you guys have seen this before and if I should be worried about what was left in the can. First time I have had a turbo engine much less having to maintain a catch can. Thanks all!

Edit: this is the Mishimoto catch can for the 2.3L.
Sponsored

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks like water contamination.
Agreed. In the winter you will sometimes see condensation water in a catch can. The first quick check to make is see if your oil in the pan exhibits the same water contamination or heaven forbid in your radiator.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Had my oil change today by my local Ford dealership and was in the process of dumping my catch can like I normally do after each oil change. Once I got the can loose I was greeted by this:

This if the first time I have seen the residue this much and this creamed coffee look. Most times it's very minimal and still relatively black. Wondering if any of you guys have seen this before and if I should be worried about what was left in the can. First time I have had a turbo engine much less having to maintain a catch can. Thanks all!

Dang. I've seen a number of posts in the forum, people showing they don't find much if anything in their catch cans. Now you show this yikes. I might have to get me a catch can! :eek:

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Water(Condensation) mixed with Oil Blowby (EGR/Recirc). Pretty standard for winter.

I often accumulate moisture to the point of emptying the can half way between OCI’s.

As long as you regularly run your rig to full operating temps(trips longer than 30 minutes), you’ll naturally burn off accumulated moisture and fuel that dilutes the Engine Oil.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
That looks like the result of a lot of short trips. We used to be able to tell if a customer drove short trips as soon as we removed the oil fill cap. The underside would be milky sludge….might want to look at yours

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just emptied mine today while changing the oil and it looked the exact same. Just the catch can doing its job.

OP
OP
Meanrat75

Meanrat75

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Bronco/2022 Explorer XLT 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks all, we have just gotten through all that snow and crap so that may have contributed to the mess. Just kinda shocked me.

nabronco21

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco/2008 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost 4 ounces I got from mine early last year, it's definitely worse in cold weather. There really isn't much collected in the warm months. This reminds me to give mine a check.
Ford Bronco Oil change at 20k, and found this in my catch can 20230304_153857

Sponsored

Swacer

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor; 2018 Shelby GT350; 2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Its water, due to condensation inside the head. Pretty normal in areas that see snow.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Oil change at 20k, and found this in my catch can IMG_1329

Ford Bronco Oil change at 20k, and found this in my catch can IMG_1329

Short trip driving in winter condensation. It’s good to try to drive far enough to get to full operating temperature at least once a day to dry the condensation out. If your oil fill cap doesn’t the same way you’re probably fine. If it looks that way you need to drive further, take the long way home from work.

williamshafer

Black Diamond
First Name
William Shafer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seen the same in my 2.3l. 2.7 has much less in it. I run 93 most of the time and not even sure that has an effect (clearly, I'm not a mechanic). I live in the Midwest.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If anyone is interested I have the Mishimoto catch can set up for the 2.7 available...complete with very low miles. Even with just under 2,000 mi I got oil out of both cans. I sold my Bronco, and hastily took the parts off that I knew weren't going to get me any extra money during the sale. I initially wanted only one can, but then when I realized they released both cans I had the additional parts shipped to me after I paid the difference so I have everything including everything for either a single or dual can setup. I live in Thousand Oaks and I prefer local pickup... I have them listed in the for sale section for 175.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seen the same in my 2.3l. 2.7 has much less in it. I run 93 most of the time and not even sure that has an effect (clearly, I'm not a mechanic). I live in the Midwest.
Fuel octane won’t affect crankcase condensation. It’s strictly a cold weather/short trip condition.
Sponsored