Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One of the things I got really pumped about owning a Bronco was the fact that there's some BLM land basically across the road from where I work - a pretty extensive OHV trail network (largely for dirt bikes) - called Hubbard Mesa Open Space. It doesn't have anything too difficult for the most part, but it's not too bad to kind of learn your vehicle. It's basically on my way home from work, so I was excited about the possibility of swinging through to destress after dealing with teenagers all day.

Yesterday afternoon, I did just that for the first time (although, it's honestly some of the other adults much more than it is the students who cause the stress). We had a pretty rocking thunderstorm last week, and more rain in a single storm than I've ever seen here, so I figured there would be some good mud to get through. At first, things were going pretty great...

But in that last mud hole, I managed to get myself high-centered. I intended to take a line on the high side of the mud hole (passenger), but got pulled in pretty quickly because of how rutted out it was. The water was too deep to see where I needed to adjust. In hindsight, I realized I made three mistakes:

1. I didn't commit hard enough to just pushing through the mud (i.e. momentum). I was really close to pulling out on the initial attempt.
2. I didn't focus enough on keeping the passenger side tires on the high side.
3. Although it very nearly got me out of the mess I was in, backing up was probably a mistake.

As a good friend said, "You're not trying if you don't ever get stuck." I bought a Bronco to have fun doing something I always wanted to get into, not to have it sit in my driveway and look pretty, so getting stuck doesn't seem like too big a deal. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way, I guess. 😂

Ford Bronco On my overconfidence (got stuck in mud) at Hubbard Mesa Open Space, CO 1000000955
Ford Bronco On my overconfidence (got stuck in mud) at Hubbard Mesa Open Space, CO 1000000967
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem I have with this video is that it puts the Bronco in a bad light. Jeepers are gonna see this and say "look Broncos can't even make it through small mud holes, ha ha". The issue is you have tiny AT tires and (I'm guessing) no lockers. ANY Sasquatch Bronco shouldn't have had a problem with that patch of mud.

I mean the real problem is most out there in the off-road community have Jeeps and look for any reason to tear the Bronco down. The exact same thing would have happened to a stock JL Sport...

I guess I need to start making content since I do stuff off-road that shows the higher end what the Bronco can do (like Holy Cross).

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The problem I have with this video is that it puts the Bronco in a bad light. Jeepers are gonna see this and say "look Broncos can't even make it through small mud holes, ha ha". The issue is you have tiny AT tires and (I'm guessing) no lockers. ANY Sasquatch Bronco shouldn't have had a problem with that patch of mud.

I mean the real problem is most out there in the off-road community have Jeeps and look for any reason to tear the Bronco down. The exact same thing would have happened to a stock JL Sport...

I guess I need to start making REAL content since I actually do stuff off-road that shows what the Bronco can really do (like Holy Cross).
I'm far from an expert but OP's is a BD with the stock General 32's so it has a rear locker, would a squatch on 35s really helped much when he high centered riding in the ruts?

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I need to start making REAL content since I actually do stuff off-road that shows what the Bronco can really do (like Holy Cross).
do you really care that much about what Jeepers or anyone else for that matter think?? i thought Nate's post was an honest candid report of a few mistakes he made -- something a lot of us can learn from.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't talk 'bout it, be 'bout it. 👀 😁 Also, yes please!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I enjoyed your video. Yeah, you attack mud with momentum. It almost looked like you sat it down in that mud hole, er, rut.

Frankly, not a fan of mud and water holes. Too much to go wrong. Muddy ruts are one thing, but you never know what's in that water/mud or how deep it is. And then you gotta clean it off... Texas black dirt's like rubber cement, and the limestone dirt cakes/stains bad. 😱

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After getting stuck twice when my 2dr BD slipped off the top of the ruts I was trying to straddle I purchased a pair of recovery boards and a winch. Haven’t had to use them yet but at least know I’m not stranded if it happens again.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No. Tires are fine for mud and he has a rear locker. Just picked a bad line and got hung up.

Ford Bronco On my overconfidence (got stuck in mud) at Hubbard Mesa Open Space, CO PXL_20230311_225122869

Punchy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I usually don't participate much here... but I feel the need to defend this member. Almost anyone that has been off-roading extensively has gotten stuck, even if they won't admit it. There's nothing wrong with this video or the driver or the Bronco. They are learning! We need more content like this, not less. And showing others your mistakes is great for the community. This is REAL content and calling it otherwise does a disservice to the community. Jeeps get stuck too. And the idea that our community should be ashamed somehow if a Bronco gets stuck is not right.

Thanks for sharing, Nate Train!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I usually don't participate much here... but I feel the need to defend this member. Almost anyone that has been off-roading extensively has gotten stuck, even if they won't admit it. There's nothing wrong with this video or the driver or the Bronco. They are learning! We need more content like this, not less. And showing others your mistakes is great for the community. This is REAL content and calling it otherwise does a disservice to the community. Jeeps get stuck too. And the idea that our community should be ashamed somehow if a Bronco gets stuck is not right.

Thanks for sharing, Nate Train!
Funny story: I got stuck off road in my 2010 2dr Chevy (2wd). Only time I've ever gotten stuck! I, uh, pulled over to text my sister a picture of the pretty Talimena Scenic Byway and didn't realize the fall roadside was like mud covered in fuzz-like grass and it only looked solid. Waited an hour and half early in the morning for a kind old gentleman from Louisiana to pull me out. (His wife was not happy he stopped.)

Off roading amiright? lol :whistle:

OP
OP
Nate Train

Nate Train

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I've thought about that while making videos - worried about making something that will make Bronco look bad. I love my Bronco, so I wouldn't want to do that.

However, I've sort of realized that if you do this (off road) long enough, you're going to get stuck at some point.

That said, the video doesn't really capture how nasty those ruts are. The water is too high to see it, and I didn't show the other side. It's also extra sticky mud - took a lot more effort on the power washer to get it off than usual.

I do have a rear locker. And it was on. And it didn't get me out. I'll chalk that up to the nature of the mud/ruts and my own inexperience.

OP
OP
Nate Train

Nate Train

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Also, I'm not getting enough views right now for the Jeep guys to even see it. 😂

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I've thought about that while making videos - worried about making something that will make Bronco look bad. I love my Bronco, so I wouldn't want to do that.

However, I've sort of realized that if you do this (off road) long enough, you're going to get stuck at some point.

That said, the video doesn't really capture how nasty those ruts are. The water is too high to see it, and I didn't show the other side. It's also extra sticky mud - took a lot more effort on the power washer to get it off than usual.

I do have a rear locker. And it was on. And it didn't get me out. I'll chalk that up to the nature of the mud/ruts and my own inexperience.
I could have chosen my words better and I apologize for that. I'll be the first person to tell you my faults and one of my faults is I tend to be a little too forward (and I'm an asshole, as my wife would put it). "Real content" wasn't the best description. "Stock vehicle content" would be a better description.

And as to everyone out there with the "Who cares what Jeepers think" line of thought: You should care, they are a part of the same off-road community. I'm on the board of directors for an off-road club with over 700 members, MOST are Jeeps. I feel like I'm always having to prove myself. I battle that every time I go out, and WIN that battle most of the time. I agree EVERYONE gets stuck sometimes. I've had to winch in a lot of cases. I just don't like to give them easy targets. If you're gonna see me fail, it's going to be doing something where a Rubicon on 37's is likely also going to fail. Yes this was a stock Bronco, yes it was a high centered issue because of ruts under water (worse than it looks), yes a stock JL Sport also would have been stuck, BUT it does look easy and it looks like the Bronco isn't very good off-road. Is that a fair assessment, NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, but that's what it is.

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Also, I'm not getting enough views right now for the Jeep guys to even see it. 😂
Well you're trending on the site, you'll be viral by tonight and on all the click bait car sites by the morning! 😉

Ford Bronco On my overconfidence (got stuck in mud) at Hubbard Mesa Open Space, CO Screenshot_20230901-095410
Sponsored