StrainedCMOS

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been reading tire swap discussions for hours and most talk about getting to near SAS specs, but I wanted to know people's opinion on this use case. I would like to upgrade to something like 285/75/R18 tires with these parameters
  • Will keep the aluminum stock 18" wheels
  • No plan for leveling or lifts for now
  • 4.27 ratio from the factory
  • Will want to begin offroading, mainly mud, mountain trail, and be snow capable. No rock crawling or baja as I am a tired dad but go a few times a year.
Being in Canada the selections in this size aren't that plentiful, mostly limited to Goodyear, Toyo or Nitto tires. Options like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratec seem a bit overkill but wanted to see if anyone has any options about this scenario.
Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hereā€™s my advice, one tired dad to another šŸ˜‚

Largest tire upsize Iā€™ve seen on stock OBX wheels with no lift is 275/70R18. That will give you a nice looking 33ā€ tire with no further modifications needed. Anything wider will have trouble mounting on that wheel any anything taller will risk rubbing.

I personally went with 275/65R18 Toyo AT3ā€™s. Keeps the tire diameter so my speedo doesnā€™t need a recal. Tire looks good and has performed great in every condition without crazy road noise.

Asking for tire recs will no doubt get you a dozen different opinions. A lot of guys like BFG and Nitto. Iā€™d stay away from stiff E Load tires if you can help it since it may make the ride a bit harsh.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
go with Coopers . I have the same wheel & went with 275/70/18 made for an awesome look on my 2door ,low noise yet aggressive & one of the best warranty out there. PS. i also am running on 4.27 gears . the speedo recal. is not a must do for me as it only made a 3MPH difference and ford never sent a memo that it was off.
285's I think is doable but not sure about crash bars , i didn't go there I don't think Cooper made a tire in 285's /70/18 and I was set on coopers.
Ford Bronco Opinions on tire upsizing on OBX 18in stock wheels 68670584302__250E76D2-A525-466B-907C-42D18867B151

Last edited:

Rob_Broncowski

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX, Ducati Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm running General Grabber ATX (275/70/R18) on my OBX and I'm quite happy with them (stock wheels, no lift, 4.27 gears). They are also available in standard load (SL) which is what I went with. I just wanted something capable in the snow/sand that can handle some light trails. Since I daily drive my Bronco I didn't want the extra weight / stiffness of a higher load rated tire.

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been reading tire swap discussions for hours and most talk about getting to near SAS specs, but I wanted to know people's opinion on this use case. I would like to upgrade to something like 285/75/R18 tires with these parameters
  • Will keep the aluminum stock 18" wheels
  • No plan for leveling or lifts for now
  • 4.27 ratio from the factory
  • Will want to begin offroading, mainly mud, mountain trail, and be snow capable. No rock crawling or baja as I am a tired dad but go a few times a year.
Being in Canada the selections in this size aren't that plentiful, mostly limited to Goodyear, Toyo or Nitto tires. Options like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratec seem a bit overkill but wanted to see if anyone has any options about this scenario.
From what I've found If you're sticking with the stock 18's you'll be a little more limited in options. I you go 17's you can go with a little bigger tire.

I put together this spreadsheet awhile ago that showcases OBX builds from this forum. In it you can see if they put a lift on or not as well as what size tire and wheel they went with. Hope it's helpful.

https://tinyurl.com/OBXBroncoWheels

Sponsored

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
StrainedCMOS

StrainedCMOS

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for all of these inputs. I definitely will check out the OBX sheet for confirmed working options. I'm not that worried about speedo differences but given my location north of the border my tire options seem slightly more limited.

Any other opinions about aggressive tread patterns? I would think they would increase road noise and lessen fuel economy but I think the enhanced capability when I might need it outweigh the impacts as a daily driver.

reschilling

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From what I've found If you're sticking with the stock 18's you'll be a little more limited in options. I you go 17's you can go with a little bigger tire.

I put together this spreadsheet awhile ago that showcases OBX builds from this forum. In it you can see if they put a lift on or not as well as what size tire and wheel they went with. Hope it's helpful.

https://tinyurl.com/OBXBroncoWheels
Awesome spreadsheet! Thank you!
Sponsored