First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After over 2.5 years, my Badlands Sasquatch should get to the dealer by next week or so. During that time, I purchased and built a Jeep Rubicon to overland. I purchased\built most of the parts with the idea of moving it over to the Bronco when I get it. I’ll start a build thread to show my progress.
For those that have drawers and a bunch of equipment in the back, is rear suspension sagging an issue? Did you have to install taller springs? I had to do this to the Jeep. I lifted it with 2.5 springs in the front and 3.5 in the rear.
Sponsored

BlackDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

check out Barry Bonds' Raptor build on instagram. Great looking build without a budget. He's a pretty regular overlander. Great build without a budget looks sweet.

OP
OP
sunpro2010

sunpro2010

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Raptor (9-7 build day)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

check out Barry Bonds' Raptor build on instagram. Great looking build without a budget. He's a pretty regular overlander. Great build without a budget looks sweet.
can you link it please

Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess it is old-fashioned car camping :)
Yes. Call it what you will but "overlanding" is just rebranded car camping really. You just pay exponentially more for the gear these days. It's hard to beat a capable truck for the purpose in imo.

Been doing it for so long that I got burned out. Became so focused on the gear and gadgets that I had to take a conscious step backwards with our bronco. Super basic and functional - Slightly raised sleeping platform with storage underneath / Dometic fridge-freezer / a few Rubbermaid storage bins with camping gear that stay ready to go in the garage for quick escapes and that's it. The range on the 4dr bronco is almost 400 miles so no need for extra fuel cans or other stuff. Loaded and on the road in under 10 minutes.

That being said this a sweet set-up @Elonmsk ...not too busy or overdone with unnecessary gadgets...just right. Hands down a 12V fridge/freezer is the #1 and first upgrade you should make. Saves space compared to a Yeti, stays colder, no searching for ice every few days, and no soggy tortillas.
Ford Bronco Overland Bronco Builds? 1672416647262

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. Call it what you will but "overlanding" is just rebranded car camping really. You just pay exponentially more for the gear these days. It's hard to beat a capable truck for the purpose in imo.

Been doing it for so long that I got burned out. Became so focused on the gear and gadgets that I had to take a conscious step backwards with our bronco. Super basic and functional - Slightly raised sleeping platform with storage underneath / Dometic fridge-freezer / a few Rubbermaid storage bins with camping gear that stay ready to go in the garage for quick escapes and that's it. The range on the 4dr bronco is almost 400 miles so no need for extra fuel cans or other stuff. Loaded and on the road in under 10 minutes.

That being said this a sweet set-up @Elonmsk ...not too busy or overdone with unnecessary gadgets...just right. Hands down a 12V fridge/freezer is the #1 and first upgrade you should make. Saves space compared to a Yeti, stays colder, no searching for ice every few days, and no soggy tortillas.
So my problem with the fridge/freezer is the space they take up. I prefer using an old-fashioned cooler and if I am going to be away from civilization that long that the ice melts, I will be eating mountain house freeze dried food.

When it is just me, I prefer to sleep in the back of the truck so I can't give up that much space for a powered fridge. The cooler I have in the photo is perfect for my needs. Holds plenty of stuff (with ice), keeps things cold for several days, and I can sleep on the "wide side" in the back.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So my problem with the fridge/freezer is the space they take up. I prefer using an old-fashioned cooler and if I am going to be away from civilization that long that the ice melts, I will be eating mountain house freeze dried food.

When it is just me, I prefer to sleep in the back of the truck so I can't give up that much space for a powered fridge. The cooler I have in the photo is perfect for my needs. Holds plenty of stuff (with ice), keeps things cold for several days, and I can sleep on the "wide side" in the back.
I’m struggling with this decision myself. I don’t know if a cooler or 12v fridge/freezer is better for me just yet because I don’t know all of the trips I’m going on yet (and I’m new to overlanding/vehicle camping)…

it seems like if you want to be on your own, detached from most of society, for a period of time longer than a week, maybe 10 days, you’re better off with a 12v fridge/freezer. But if you’re doing mostly extended weekend trips (10 days or less), a heavier duty cooler with proper preparation should work just fine

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Understood. I was able to downsize because with less ice you can go with a lot smaller cooler. Or at least the same size because of the compressor.

Sponsored

Elonmsk

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, F430, Viper GTS ACR, E60 M5, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Thanks! We use our Bronco for a lot of beach activities and hunting, but I couldn’t go anywhere without the fridge/freezer combo - an absolute must. I also installed the cargo drawer system from AAL, I remove it when not in use. Here’s a quick pic.

Ford Bronco Overland Bronco Builds? 4492E5A1-B9A0-4B4B-8370-F31EE27E3703

Dickzip

Everglades
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Ford Bronco Overland Bronco Builds? 4492E5A1-B9A0-4B4B-8370-F31EE27E3703

I don’t think any description is necessary! I’ve been overlanding before they started calling overlanding. Don’t need anything fancy.
Glad to see the pop tarts, can’t go without them

OP
OP
sunpro2010

sunpro2010

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Raptor (9-7 build day)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I can't believe this just clicked for me. He was one of my favorite players when I was a kid!! :oops:

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Understood. I was able to downsize because with less ice you can go with a lot smaller cooler. Or at least the same size because of the compressor.
If there is a 12v fridge/freezer that doesn’t cost and arm and a leg and can fit on the narrow side of my Bronco I would consider it.
Sponsored