Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I am a little hesitant to post for the potential flaming, but here it goes… I picked up a 4-door Badlands over the weekend. I have two reservations, a very early (day 2 I think) and an October Granger one. I didn’t place an order in the first round because I have been fully on board the BaseManSquatch train essentially since they announced it. However, the more things have pushed out, the worse that decision seemed to get. I actually reached out to my local dealer and asked them to give me first dibs if anyone decided they didn’t want their order when it came in, but I figured it would be a long shot to get a combination of options I wanted. That said, the only thing I was really completely committed to was a manual transmission. Well, late last week a dealer in another state had a customer decline to take their order. It was a manual Area 51 Badlands, which I really like. I was pretty set on a 2-door, but figured I could always trade it later for the BaseManSquatch. So the moral of the story is that if you’re really ready for a Bronco and fairly flexible on options, pay attention and just be ready to pull the trigger quickly. I did not get a deal, but I paid MSRP with no ADM or prep fees. I think in this market that is very fair. Also, after taking one look in person and driving it for a few days, I am not likely going to trade it. Pictures really just don’t do any justice to Broncos. They look so much better in person. Right off the bat, I can say it definitely drives better than our 2020 JLU on the highway. It’s noticeable, but I don’t mind the solid axle on the Jeep and never found it to be as bad as some people make it out to be. I find it humorous all the strong opinions on the differences between the two vehicles. They are so similar. The Bronco is definitely better in some ways and I think the Jeep is better in some ways, but I love both of them. Not really having a huge brand loyalty, I feel like I can answer questions objectively if anyone has any. I am really looking forward to comparing the off-road performance and will try to post up some info when I can get around to that.

One thing this forum will get a kick out of, the Jeep developed the dreaded rear main seal leak literally on the way to pick up the Bronco. In response, the Bronco decided to give me the airbag light. I assumed the Bronco would have some minor issues given how early we are in production. So, not really unexpected…. Oh, one last point, the Jeep crushed the Bronco in fuel economy on the way home. I’m not sure how much that’s impacted by hardtop Jeep vs big wind-catching open convertible top on the Bronco, but a 4ish hour highway trip yielded 19.2mpg in the Bronco and almost 27mpg in the Jeep. I don’t really care about fuel economy, but I thought it was an interesting stat.

Quick edit: I meant to add that this is a straight up bare Badlands. It has zero options. No mid, nothing. But it does not at all feel like a stripped vehicle. After driving this, I honestly think even a base with no options would feel well-equipped. The only thing I wish I had was heated seats and that’s easy enough to add.

D167C532-4ABA-4628-AD13-E02FD1317C17.jpeg
BCE9E580-A5F8-4D91-AA00-747314237DC1.jpeg
Congratulations! I think you played the game well. There will be a lot of orders not claimed. If Ford made the deposit just a few hundred more there wouldn't have been so many reservations, IMHO.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Why the heck would somebody order a Badlands then not even put at least mid on it? I guess if one felt the need for sway bar disco but damn they could have done even a base/BB or BD with Squatch cheaper and still got mid on BB/BD.

edit* didn't notice it was a manual so not Sasquatch on lower options but still, damn.
You have to respect someone ordering a vehicle just for capability, and not for creature comfort. This was a pure utilitarian order. I would not be surprised if the reservation holder bought a base Rubicon instead.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Rcarpen22 - got around to reading this a little late, but congrats and a great write up. I actually agree that The Bronco and the Jeep are closer than a lot of people want to accept (on both sides), and it will be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

When I drove the 7MT badlands high at my dealer, I came away with three impressions:

1) the Bronco is louder than I thought it would be, not as bad as my JKUR on half used 34” tires, but I would bet similar in comparison to a new JLUR.
2) the Bronco on 5100 based shocks rides truck like—not uncomfortable, but more noticeable than a on road SUV—petty much like my JKUR rides on 5100 shocks.
3) the difference is the steering precision.

Oh also: the windscreen and dash are farther away, and I have more left shoulder room.

Finally: what kind of Jeeper are you: rent a transmission jack and get under there wrenching on that RMS. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Rcarpen22

Finally: what kind of Jeeper are you: rent a transmission jack and get under there wrenching on that RMS. :ROFLMAO:
Ha ha, I just pulled the T90 and Dana 18 out of my old CJ5 for a rebuild. But I’m not about to do Chrysler’s work for them by wrenching on a new vehicle with a warranty!

PS, I have Porsches, so I have replaced many rear main seals in my day🙄

Sponsored

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha ha, I just pulled the T90 and Dana 18 out of my old CJ5 for a rebuild. But I’m not about to do Chrysler’s work for them by wrenching on a new vehicle with a warranty!

PS, I have Porsches, so I have replaced many rear main seals in my day🙄
"...PS, I have Porsches..." eww, who admits to that in public.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"...PS, I have Porsches..." eww, who admits to that in public.
Not sure what the point of this post is. Porsches are awesome. I love my fox Mustangs from the same era, but you’d have to modify the chassis on the V8 Mustangs and replace every suspension and braking component to make them competitive with essentially stock 4 cylinder Porsches on a race track.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where are you located in Maryland? I am on the Eastern Shore. My badlands is supposed to be built Wednesday. After receipt and breakin, we have a few fun local areas near Annapolis to get the tires dirty!
Mine is supposed to be built in a couple of days - Ellicott City here - where in Annapolis ?

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am in Kent Island.
Looking for the offroading sites near Annapolis - last time I went offroading in a non-designated area, I got a ticket for offroading on state property.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking for the offroading sites near Annapolis - last time I went offroading in a non-designated area, I got a ticket for offroading on state property.
I’m out west and there are decent places in the PA/MD/WV area. I know it’s a long trek out here, but it beats getting busted by the fuzz!

Tadel001

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘87 Defender 110 RHD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a fun place near Annapolis to go. Once we get our trucks, let’s connect and I will take you out there. I see you have an LR now. I have a Defender (soon for sale). The connection to the local place was initially through LR vehicles.

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure what the point of this post is. Porsches are awesome. I love my fox Mustangs from the same era, but you’d have to modify the chassis on the V8 Mustangs and replace every suspension and braking component to make them competitive with essentially stock 4 cylinder Porsches on a race track.
Many things are awesome. This is a Bronco Forum, not a brag page for other cars. Jus' sayin'.

OP
OP
Rcarpen22

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many things are awesome. This is a Bronco Forum, not a brag page for other cars. Jus' sayin'.
That is one of the pettiest “contributions” to a thread I’ve ever seen. I dub thee Troll. This is my thread and I will talk about whatever I want.

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is one of the pettiest “contributions” to a thread I’ve ever seen. I dub thee Troll. This is my thread and I will talk about whatever I want.
Yes, you will. Call me what you want, child.
Sponsored