Sponsored

Planning a trip to Moab. Which armor to add next?

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a Black Diamond with standard Ford skid plates and Barnes rear shock skids. I can budget for one more piece of armor before trip. I'm thinking rear differential. Is that a good choice or should I protect something else first? Thanks.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Be aware there's some strong feelings this topic.

@Bird Dog Off Road has a video and guidance on skid plates. I believe there's a gap the stock plates don't cover where the transmission is, and RCI sells a plate for that. It might be more than you have to spend.

I've ordered rear shock and diff skids but haven't gotten them yet. The diff skid I've seen some differing opinions; there are also hardened diff covers.

You might get under and check it out yourself, if you haven't already. A lot of it is about what can be reached in the first place, so you might do best to have a good idea what you might be concerned with.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Be aware there's some strong feelings this topic.

@Bird Dog Off Road has a video and guidance on skid plates. I believe there's a gap the stock plates don't cover where the transmission is, and RCI sells a plate for that. It might be more than you have to spend.

I've ordered rear shock and diff skids but haven't gotten them yet. The diff skid I've seen some differing opinions; there are also hardened diff covers.

You might get under and check it out yourself, if you haven't already. A lot of it is about what can be reached in the first place, so you might do best to have a good idea what you might be concerned with.
I did get under there and measured clearance. The rear shocks were an easy spot for the low point, that's why I started there. It seems the rear differential and front lower control arm are the next lowest points at just under 11 inches squatched. Transmission pan is up there but that would suck if that took a rock.

Sponsored

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on which trails you plan to do. If you’re not out there to do any rock crawling, then tbh you should be fine … maybe add cross member skids since. If you plan on doing some crawling it just depends which trails so we can get a better idea on what you may need due to the obstacles

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on which trails you plan to do. If you’re not out there to do any rock crawling, then tbh you should be fine … maybe add cross member skids since. If you plan on doing some crawling it just depends which trails so we can get a better idea on what you may need due to the obstacles
I was going to start with Fins and Things and go from there.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you're running the 2.7L engine, something to beef up the transmission crossmember wouldn't be a bad idea.

if you don't already have the factory rock rails, that would be a cheap bit of insurance

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would go Talon Garage (3/16) severe duty or Lod (10 guage) mild duty. From the price point your at LOD will probably be your best bet.

I run a modified Talon Garage skid, definitely the most full coverage skid that isn't a full skid system.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would go Talon Garage (3/16) severe duty or Lod (10 guage) mild duty. From the price point your at LOD will probably be your best bet.

I run a modified Talon Garage skid, definitely the most full coverage skid that isn't a full skid system.
I like these options. Seems to take care of the crossmembers also :)

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like these options. Seems to take care of the crossmembers also :)
@SS Bronco has beat his LOD skid pretty good and it's definitely a decent product for the price. If you go Talon pm me if you want my $50 off code.

Keep an eye on your rear bumper, mine is hammered. Be prepared to glue/screw/wire tie your license plate on!
Sponsored