First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for publishing for folks to consider and discuss.

One item that makes no sense is the slippery mode and 4A. It says driveline issues can occur on dry pavement. That is flat wrong. The 4A allows for slippage between the front and rear drivelines. Heck Sport mode uses 4A on dry pavement.
I downloaded and printed out the whole 2022 Bronco manual and have skipped around in it. Lots of useful information in there, and yes, some scary stuff for the beginner! I should have the whole thing committed to memory by the time my 2024 Bronco arrives.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

a minor Note
- I did not presume to post this thread as ' PSA '

this morning my thread Title was :
' QUIZ - How Much Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? '

then about 20-minutes later the Mods changed it to the present thread Title
' PSA: Transmission drivetrain damage can . . . '

which is okay by me - prob should be PSA

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's one of those things that might happen not it well .
Baja in 2w is beast mode. Makes sport look like eco. Disables traction control, holds shifts a lot longer, you pedal it like a stick without it auto changing gears and the power really hits holding the rpm’s. 2w with a open locker, won’t be any issues.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Owner's Manual over 550 pages - have people read it

True or False ?
. . driving regular streets can cause major damage if,

A) . . select the wrong G.O.A.T. Mode ?

B) . . push the wrong 4WD button ?

C) . . dash buttons Front or Rear Lockers ?

D) . . dash button Trail Turn Assist ?

Answer
- all True
- these easy mistakes can damage the transmission drivetrain

A) GOAT Modes ' Sand ', ' Mud/Ruts ', ' Rock Crawl ', and ' Baja ' default to mechanically locked 4WD - and ' Slippery ' also w Part-Time 4x4
- these Modes are not made for regular dry pavement

- dry pavement advisable GOAT Modes are ' Normal ', ' Eco ', & ' Sport '

B) Four-wheel High ( 4H ) and Four-wheel Low ( 4L ) use mechanically locked 4WD
- these are not made for dry pavement

C) the Front & Rear ' Lockers ' mechanically lock your differentials. These prevent the normal differential slip when making turns - these are not for dry pavement

D) Trail Turn Assist requires 4H or 4L 4WD
- this is not for dry pavement

A driver could be new to 4x4's - not familiar w 4-wheel drive
- maybe your 17-year-old wants to take the Bronco for burgers & fries. Can they really resist all those neat buttons & fancy lights ?

Reading the manual has some surprises. For example the various GOAT Mode defaults. These also depend which transmission you have. Wanted to document some of these drivetrain features/variations as a reminder -
Bronco has fantastic 4x4 technology and deserves a driver who knows how to use it
- some highlighted pages

'22 Owners Man 183.jpg

'22 Owners Man 186.jpg

'22 Owners Man 242.jpg

'22 Owners Man 243.jpg

'22 Owners Man 244.jpg

'22 Owners Man 245.jpg

'22 Owners Man 246.jpg

'22 Owners Man 190.jpg

'22 Owners Man 191.jpg

'22 Owners Man 212.jpg
Wait a minute you opened the book!!!!

Sponsored

Rkeally

Badlands
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco off roadeo in vegas was really valuable in learning the 4x4 features of the bronco and how to properly use them. Such a great event and experience. It’s one thing to read through the manual and another to be shown proper use and function when driving through real trail conditions

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco PSA:  How Much Drivetrain Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? used-2021-jeep-wrangler-4x4highaltitudeunlimitednavlthrseatsremotestart-7224-20726437-31-1024

I love tech, but some things are just way over thought. Just give me one of these and the baisic 2x4/4x4 condition rules. There is no accidently choosing the wrong 'mode'.
Shift into 4h or 4L as needed then set brain to sand, mud, rocks etc. I want to drive my vehicle not just press the skinny pedal and let the 'puter figure it out. Where's the fun - or skill - in that?

TenSeven

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
none of this would be 'common sense' for someone who's never had a 4wd/off road vehicle though. It'd be like me criticizing someone who's never used a camera, for changing lenses with the camera body facing upwards.
Wait why is that bad
Now I want to know too. Will it burst into flame? Electrical shock hazard?

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco PSA:  How Much Drivetrain Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? used-2021-jeep-wrangler-4x4highaltitudeunlimitednavlthrseatsremotestart-7224-20726437-31-1024

I love tech, but some things are just way over thought. Just give me one of these and the baisic 2x4/4x4 condition rules. There is no accidently choosing the wrong 'mode'.
Shift into 4h or 4L as needed then set brain to sand, mud, rocks etc. I want to drive my vehicle not just press the skinny pedal and let the 'puter figure it out. Where's the fun - or skill - in that?
If you're going to go there, go big or go home.

Ford Bronco PSA:  How Much Drivetrain Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? 416_firetruck_06

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco PSA:  How Much Drivetrain Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? 416_firetruck_06

Some would say, that if you want to drive your vehicle, then why don't you have a stick?

Sponsored

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some would say, that if you want to drive your vehicle, then why don't you have a stick?
Because the ZF 8-speed is a brilliant transmission!

.....and, manual not an option on the turbo.....

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because the ZF 8-speed is a brilliant transmission!

.....and, manual not an option on the turbo.....
What are you on about? The automatic is a Ford made 10 speed, not a ZF 8 speed. The manual comes with a 2.3L turbocharged engine.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Owner's Manual over 550 pages - have people read it

True or False ?
. . driving regular streets can cause major damage if,

A) . . select the wrong G.O.A.T. Mode ?

B) . . push the wrong 4WD button ?

C) . . dash buttons Front or Rear Lockers ?

D) . . dash button Trail Turn Assist ?

Answer
- all True
- these easy mistakes can damage the transmission drivetrain

A) GOAT Modes ' Sand ', ' Mud/Ruts ', ' Rock Crawl ', and ' Baja ' default to mechanically locked 4WD - and ' Slippery ' also w Part-Time 4x4
- these Modes are not made for regular dry pavement

- dry pavement advisable GOAT Modes are ' Normal ', ' Eco ', & ' Sport '

B) Four-wheel High ( 4H ) and Four-wheel Low ( 4L ) use mechanically locked 4WD
- these are not made for dry pavement

C) the Front & Rear ' Lockers ' mechanically lock your differentials. These prevent the normal differential slip when making turns - these are not for dry pavement

D) Trail Turn Assist requires 4H or 4L 4WD
- this is not for dry pavement

A driver could be new to 4x4's - not familiar w 4-wheel drive
- maybe your 17-year-old wants to take the Bronco for burgers & fries. Can they really resist all those neat buttons & fancy lights ?

Reading the manual has some surprises. For example the various GOAT Mode defaults. These also depend which transmission you have. Wanted to document some of these drivetrain features/variations as a reminder -
Bronco has fantastic 4x4 technology and deserves a driver who knows how to use it
- some highlighted pages

Ford Bronco PSA:  How Much Drivetrain Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? images

Ford Bronco PSA:  How Much Drivetrain Damage can happen from pushing the wrong Button ? images

You are the BEST.

Thank you!

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What are you on about? The automatic is a Ford made 10 speed, not a ZF 8 speed. The manual comes with a 2.3L turbocharged engine.
The picture and lazerus were referring to the Jeep with their 2.0L turbocharged engine which isn't available with the manual, only the pentastar 3.6L V6 was. The Jeep Wrangler uses the ZF 8 speed
Sponsored