Sponsored

Question about rear speakers

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a local car audio shop upgrade my speakers and add an amp. I’ve noticed the rear speakers still have little sound despite me telling them they need to wire into the front kick panel speakers. I emailed and asked about this and received this in response:

“If we want to have a full range system on the rears… we need to add a DSP processor… only take signal from the factory front, and then repartition the sounds how we want to”

Does that make sense? Seems everyone has just been wiring to the front. Want to make sure I’m not being conned. Thanks!
Sponsored

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most factory audio systems only use 2 channels that are digitally split to front/rear/center/sub. Which is all you really need unless you like to watch action movies on your lunch break. Rears are typically tuned down in volume compared to front. What your installer stated is correct. A good quality DSP can properly split the front 2 channels into however many you need. Alternatively you could go with something like JLAudio TWK-88 series and use all channels as inputs, use the software to setup and balance each channel to your liking. But that is lots of wiring and tuning. If you want something more basic, you can find a 2 channel input to X channel output, where X is how ever many channels you want, like 4+sub or 6+sub etc. All depends on how much money and time you want to throw at it.

OP
OP
fv9

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most factory audio systems only use 2 channels that are digitally split to front/rear/center/sub. Which is all you really need unless you like to watch action movies on your lunch break. Rears are typically tuned down in volume compared to front. What your installer stated is correct. A good quality DSP can properly split the front 2 channels into however many you need. Alternatively you could go with something like JLAudio TWK-88 series and use all channels as inputs, use the software to setup and balance each channel to your liking. But that is lots of wiring and tuning. If you want something more basic, you can find a 2 channel input to X channel output, where X is how ever many channels you want, like 4+sub or 6+sub etc. All depends on how much money and time you want to throw at it.
Thanks for the info. I had them install Audison speakers and a sub in the ford factory enclosure I purchased. Here is his full response on what he did when I asked about the rears:

We used the 5ch amplifier for the front dash, kick panels and subwoofer, and left the rears on the factory system. If we want to have a full range system on the rears… we need to add a DSP processor… only take signal from the factory front, and then repartition the sounds how we want to.

We didn’t need bass blockers on the rear since they don’t play full range. We use the electronic crossovers in the amplifier to split the sound ranges between dash, midbass and subwoofer

We used Dynamat Extreme on all speaker locations and subwoofer enclosure to allow higher sound levels without hearing the rattling of the plastic enclosures.”

So sounds like everything I good to go. I don’t think I need the rears to be be altered, just wish I had saved the money on them and didn’t install Audison back there as it seems like a waste. They also sound pretty bright to my ears so May need to go back and have them tweak things.

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Remember, those are only 4“ speakers back there. I had same problem where I wanted more sound from the rears. You probably want to get bigger speakers. MTI has 6.5” pods for the rears but not cheap. Definitely will boost your sound. I opted to add 2 6.5” marine alpine pods. That did the trick especially since I have a soft top and like to ride with the top off. Good luck.

Reactions: fv9

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went off the front kicks for my inputs. Split 1 into 3 on a 6 channel. Ran all new wires.
1 front left and rear left
2 front right and rear right
3 left kick
4 right kick
5 and 6 sub.
Fronts and backs are the same speakers. They blended perfect setup like that and let me drive the kicks a whole lot more. Those morel 6.5’s sound like subs in the kicks now.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Remember, those are only 4“ speakers back there. I had same problem where I wanted more sound from the rears. You probably want to get bigger speakers. MTI has 6.5” pods for the rears but not cheap. Definitely will boost your sound. I opted to add 2 6.5” marine alpine pods. That did the trick especially since I have a soft top and like to ride with the top off. Good luck.
How do you like the Alpine 6.5 pods? Did they add a lot of sound quality and bass vs the 4" aftermarket rears?

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How do you like the Alpine 6.5 pods? Did they add a lot of sound quality and bass vs the 4" aftermarket rears?
It's AWESOME... I have two 12" subs so bass is plenty overall. So I can't determine how much base is from the 6.5" pods, but I can say that the sound is more full and loud. When the top is off and I am on the highway, it makes a huge difference. Overall, I highly recommend.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's AWESOME... I have two 12" subs so bass is plenty overall. So I can't determine how much base is from the 6.5" pods, but I can say that the sound is more full and loud. When the top is off and I am on the highway, it makes a huge difference. Overall, I highly recommend.
Thank you. I'm going to get them. 15% off of 350 so not bad. Also getting my ARB Zenith bumper this week and that was 15% off. Damn Bronco is too cool not to keep upgrading.

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How did you modify the Alpine pod to install in the Bronco?

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is brilliant! I just checked out your build... very nice! Looks like I can keep the 4" and add a 6 1/2" similar to the front setup (just tap oof and split the speaker line coming into the pod). My amp sends 100 watts to each channel so that's enough to power the 2 speakers.

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Need your help. I have everything installed seemingly correctly and I feel the stereo does not play loud. Seems I have to turn it past 20 to get any real volume out of it. (Not blow your ears out volume, just loud enough to hear it well with the windows down. Any advice on what the issue might be? I have the Audio Control 5 1300 amp so there is plenty of power. thanks
Sponsored