First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm looking to finally purchase a set of wheels. I've always wanted to do a spare-tire delete but at the same time I see the value in a spare.

My question is: Are there alt-size spares I can purchase that I could store in my garage and bring along for the odd trail run or long trips?

I can't seem to find a steelie that are the same specs as the wheel I want to buy, 17x8.5 ET-10. I do plan on running a 285/70 tire.

Is there an alternate wheel / tire size combo I can run for my spare that would be good to run in the event of a flat?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are most likely several different sizes that would work. Main concern would be to match the same diameter as the rest of the tires.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are most likely several different sizes that would work. Main concern would be to match the same diameter as the rest of the tires.
Matching the tire diameter is the key. The width and offset are not relevant.
Probably a naive question, but if it's a spare in the traditional sense, how important is diameter? If you get something close but not exact, it's still good enough to get home or get to a shop, right?

I'm assuming diameter is important if it's intended to potentially be used off-roading

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably a naive question, but if it's a spare in the traditional sense, how important is diameter? If you get something close but not exact, it's still good enough to get home or get to a shop, right?

I'm assuming diameter is important if it's intended to potentially be used off-roading
Correct, it doesn't need to match exactly but should be close, say within 1/2".

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The diameter is important on road or off. You do not want the tires rotating at different RPM. If your rig happens to have a limited slip diff the different sized tires can burn it up pretty quick. If you are off road and have lockers, that will cause issues as well. Spend the money and get a correctly sized tire. It is far cheaper than the repairs you would face if you don't.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The diameter is important on road or off. You do not want the tires rotating at different RPM. If your rig happens to have a limited slip diff the different sized tires can burn it up pretty quick. If you are off road and have lockers, that will cause issues as well. Spend the money and get a correctly sized tire. It is far cheaper than the repairs you would face if you don't.
Almost all cars come with a donut that definitely is not the same diameter. But the purpose isn't to drive on it long. Just to get home/to a shop. That's why they say less than 50 miles?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look for a Soft 8/D window steelie, most are around 0, I've seen -6, either will be close enough.

OP
OP

xiLLeNtz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Correct, it doesn't need to match exactly but should be close, say within 1/2".
Seeing that my stock OBX setup would likely never sell.. LOL.. The tire setup I'm looking to change to is approximately 32.7" in diameter.

If I changed out the tire on my stock OBX to lets say.. 285/65 on an 18 vs 285/70 on an 17 are 32.6" vs 32.7" as per the tire size calculator on tiresize.com.

Obviously the wheel itself is a different size and different offset. Would this be suitable for a spare?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing that my stock OBX setup would likely never sell.. LOL.. The tire setup I'm looking to change to is approximately 32.7" in diameter.

If I changed out the tire on my stock OBX to lets say.. 285/65 on an 18 and 285/70 on an 18 are 32.6" vs 32.7" as per the tire size calculator on tiresize.com.

Obviously the wheel itself is a different size and different offset. Would this be suitable for a spare?
It's close enough and would be fine.

Here's a 17x8 -6 like I was describing. https://viciousoffroad.com/products...-5-4-25bs-6mm-off-set-gloss-black-p-n-51-7883
Sponsored