First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put my spare in rotation and didn't have to do anything for the TPMS to work.
I was going to try as well but just did the programming. Did you verify all 4 match the dash readout in the correct location after a 5 tire rotation?

The owners manual leads you to believe it will recognize a 4 tire but needs programming after a 5.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I always do a 5 tire rotation when I have 5 matching wheels, but then I do it myself so there’s never a question of it being done correctly.
All 5 of my TPMS work as expected. Nothing needed other than to drive after rotation.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bronco reads the tpms sensor almost immediately once tires spin. Its not reading the spare. It has to be spinning or it will stop reading.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I brought my Bronco in at 5k miles for its first oil change and tire rotation.

I’ve never owned a car with a full size spare on the back. I guess I assumed the dealership was going to put the spare into the tire rotation. I looked (after I got home) and it appears the new tire markings are still on my spare and they did not put it into rotation.

Is that something I should’ve specifically asked for or should have they done that for me?

The dealership is 20 minutes away so I’m thinking of just having a local shop swap the tire. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah they should've rotated the spare. I'd take it back to them and ask if they'll do the spare for free since you did the other four.

Kyukidoeric

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (former 69 & 77 Bronco owner)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A page from the owners manual. When I bought the bronco, we had a deal for 2 oil changes and tire rotations. They changed the oil, but would not rotate the tires, so I'm on my own because I took the man's word, and I can't find it in writing.

Screenshot_20221103-010631.png

Sponsored

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I looked at both rotation diagrams - I thought you were not supposed to reverse directions of the tires. In both diagrams, when you criss cross to the front the wheels will rotate the opposite direction. Always heard this messes with the internal belts of the tire? (Or) are you actually supposed to remove the tire from the rim and remount so it is going the same direction? I don't ever remember any shop doing the latter.

I have always done front to back and then back to front on the same side and usually get over 50k BFG At's with pretty balanced wear.
Old wives tale....cross rotate to the non-drive axle is the norm.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The tires on the Bronco are not directional.

The spare includes a TPMS sensor.
However the vehicle ignores it or is clueless about it until it is in a wheel opening. For those that rotate 5 or even just to know if the spare is ready to go including the spare position in the sensor display would be handy

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think it was mentioned, but if you have the 4A transfer case, this is potentially an even bigger issue. If you damage a tire, you can rotate your 5th into the damaged position, buy 1 new and then do 4 tire u til they are worn. If you have the spare as new and the other 3 are worn, you Could have an issue with speed sensors and or rotation differences side to side or front to rear. I had it happen on our Explorer and ended up replacing 4 tires when the OE tires till had at least 20k left. So, 5 tire is much better, particularly with the 4A transfer case.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think it was mentioned, but if you have the 4A transfer case, this is potentially an even bigger issue. If you damage a tire, you can rotate your 5th into the damaged position, buy 1 new and then do 4 tire u til they are worn. If you have the spare as new and the other 3 are worn, you Could have an issue with speed sensors and or rotation differences side to side or front to rear. I had it happen on our Explorer and ended up replacing 4 tires when the OE tires till had at least 20k left. So, 5 tire is much better, particularly with the 4A transfer case.
Agreed, 5 tire is the way to go, especially since you only need to jack up on corner at a time (for those without a lift). Nice time to fully clean behind that spare, and don't forget to inspect those brakes!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Old wives tale....cross rotate to the non-drive axle is the norm.

Not an old wives tale. In the early 70s, when most tires were still bias plies, some radials would potentially separate belts if changed direction. That problem was fixed in the 70s though, so it no longer applies, but it was a concern then.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Go with a 5 tire rotation. I did my first one at 1500 myself, will do it every 2500 so it keeps the wear more or less even. Tires are super heavy you will find out. My wife had to help me get the spare back on. I have sasquatch. No re-programing spare has a TPMS so very straight forward.

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not an old wives tale. In the early 70s, when most tires were still bias plies, some radials would potentially separate belts if changed direction. That problem was fixed in the 70s though, so it no longer applies, but it was a concern then.
I used to sell tires in the mid-80's, was told at a major corporations tire training seminar that it was never an issue but was used as an excuse by retailers that didn't want to warranty tires and instead blamed the "damage" on improper rotation.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used to sell tires in the mid-80's, was told at a major corporations tire training seminar that it was never an issue but was used as an excuse by retailers that didn't want to warranty tires and instead blamed the "damage" on improper rotation.

It was the actual manufacturers in the 70s who said not to do it, not tire shops. Belt separation was a real thing in early radials. Regardless, it's no longer an issue.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the 5 tire camp for many reasons stated above. But I'd use this diagram (G) for the sequence (Rear/ 4 wheel drive vehicles).

The spare has a tpms but you have to program them following the rotation. The unit is <$20 from Amazon and is easy to do.

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Rotation Question Screenshot_20221103-010631
I put on wheels from a different bronco entirely and the TPMS just worked :)
Sponsored