Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I brought my Bronco in at 5k miles for its first oil change and tire rotation.

I’ve never owned a car with a full size spare on the back. I guess I assumed the dealership was going to put the spare into the tire rotation. I looked (after I got home) and it appears the new tire markings are still on my spare and they did not put it into rotation.

Is that something I should’ve specifically asked for or should have they done that for me?

The dealership is 20 minutes away so I’m thinking of just having a local shop swap the tire. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Two trains of thought here. Rotate with 4 and keep your spare fresh and pristine. Or rotate with all 5 wheels to get full usage out of all tires evenly over time. Either way is fine. But whichever way you choose, stick to the same rotation pattern each time.

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Rotation Question 1661357641579

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

With full sized spare and matching wheel I always ask for 5 tire rotation. A quick trip to a local Discount Tire could fix this, or yeah go back and tell them they didn't do it right and make them fix it.

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I looked at both rotation diagrams - I thought you were not supposed to reverse directions of the tires. In both diagrams, when you criss cross to the front the wheels will rotate the opposite direction. Always heard this messes with the internal belts of the tire? (Or) are you actually supposed to remove the tire from the rim and remount so it is going the same direction? I don't ever remember any shop doing the latter.

I have always done front to back and then back to front on the same side and usually get over 50k BFG At's with pretty balanced wear.

Shawn_1121

Outer Banks
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco OBX A51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

does the 5th tire/spare come with a tpms sensor? when i had my jeep I didnt have a tpms therefore never included it in the rotation. when it came time to buy new tires? only had to buy 4.

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I looked at both rotation diagrams - I thought you were not supposed to reverse directions of the tires. In both diagrams, when you criss cross to the front the wheels will rotate the opposite direction. Always heard this messes with the internal belts of the tire? (Or) are you actually supposed to remove the tire from the rim and remount so it is going the same direction? I don't ever remember any shop doing the latter.

I have always done front to back and then back to front on the same side and usually get over 50k BFG At's with pretty balanced wear.
The tires on the Bronco are not directional.

does the 5th tire/spare come with a tpms sensor? when i had my jeep I didnt have a tpms therefore never included it in the rotation. when it came time to buy new tires? only had to buy 4.
The spare includes a TPMS sensor.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Only with directional tires. Only time I had directional were on my Corvette. But you couldn't rotate those anyway as the fronts were smaller than the rear's and they were directional. The Bronco's tires are not directional and can be used either way, so you do the patterns shown, provides more even wear.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it depends on the service department. Mine asked me if I wanted to rotate the spare in, others may leave it up to the customer to mention if they want to or not.

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've always preferred rotating with all five of them. Lasts longer and when it comes time for a new set of tires you wont need to deal with getting rid of that one new tire if you plan on switching tire size, style or brand.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you take it to the dealer or tire shop, chalk the inside of the tires with their current location (DF=Driver front, PF=passenger, etc etc). That way you can see if they actually rotated them.

Highly recommend 5 tire rotation. If you don't, after 30-40k, you'll only want to use the spare… sparingly. As in, only to get you off the trail or to the tire shop - the size difference from a new spare to a tread that's ready to be replaced won't play nice with your diffs w/regular use.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You already basically got your answer, so I'll keep it brief—

If you do a 5-tire rotation you can effectively increase the lifespan of that set of tires by 20%.

And because it is a 5-tire rotation, you can easily do it yourself in your driveway with a single jack. Don't need multiple jacks, don't need jack stands. You don't even need to buy a jack—your Bronco has an emergency jack included in the rear of the vehicle.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two trains of thought here. Rotate with 4 and keep your spare fresh and pristine. Or rotate with all 5 wheels to get full usage out of all tires evenly over time. Either way is fine. But whichever way you choose, stick to the same rotation pattern each time.

1661357641579.png
FYI— That's the typical pattern for front-wheel drive vehicles. Rear-wheel drive vehicles (like the Bronco) don't utilize a cross.
  • Front Wheel Drive
    • Spare > P/R > D/F > D/R > P/F
  • Rear Wheel Drive
    • Spare > P/R > P/F > D/R > D/F
Does it really matter?? Not sure to be honest, I haven't done the research.

EDIT— I'm an idiot, if I had actually read the diagram I would have noticed it said "for front wheel drive vehicles". Here is diagram for a rear wheel drive vehicle:

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Rotation Question 1661370705003

Last edited:

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the 5 tire camp for many reasons stated above. But I'd use this diagram (G) for the sequence (Rear/ 4 wheel drive vehicles).

The spare has a tpms but you have to program them following the rotation. The unit is <$20 from Amazon and is easy to do.

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Rotation Question 45A6439D-8288-4127-A6D4-03077696C484_4_5005_c

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in the 5 tire camp for many reasons stated above. But I'd use this diagram (G) for the sequence (Rear/ 4 wheel drive vehicles).

The spare has a tpms but you have to program them following the rotation. The unit is <$20 from Amazon and is easy to do.

Ford Bronco Spare Tire Rotation Question 45A6439D-8288-4127-A6D4-03077696C484_4_5005_c
Re: TPMS Programming

I've read that the programming tool isn't necessary as the sensors will be recognized after driving the first time. I've also seen the tool that you described linked in another discussion. I have no experience with Ford's TPMS sensors so I can only go by what I read by others. I guess I'll find out soon enough as my first rotation is coming up.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put my spare in rotation and didn't have to do anything for the TPMS to work.
Sponsored