Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
AB2B20E0-E396-4D0E-9210-361D5F99A0D1.png

I guess I don't see the point.
10 decibels is the equivalent of quiet/routine breathing.

So the difference between the F150 and the Bronco soft top (up) at 70mph is an extra passenger minding their own business quietly breathing?
Sponsored

Bled656

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f150 ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made a couple of trips in my bronco and I don’t find it too loud, i could have a conversation without having to be raising my voice

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

AB2B20E0-E396-4D0E-9210-361D5F99A0D1.png

I guess I don't see the point.
I have a 2018 expedition max and a soft top bronco. At 75 mph the expedition is 68 dBs, the bronco is 76-78 dBs. The annoying noise in a bronco is road noise coming thru the plastic windows. A semi on the highway is like standing by a railroad crossing when the orange blossom special is rolling thru.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
10 decibels is the equivalent of quiet/routine breathing.

So the difference between the F150 and the Bronco soft top (up) at 70mph is an extra passenger minding their own business quietly breathing?
That's not how that works.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see the point in stretching the fabric and putting a blanket above my head. The roof comes off the bronco, it's never going to be as quiet as a vehicle with a solid roof.

Reality vs expectations 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Brice, as my dear old Dad used to say, "That's using your head for something besides a hat rack". Damn good idea you had there bud......:)

Sponsored

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What noise? I have the Grateful Dead channel cranked up!.. Kudos for a great idea.

pharden

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Drove from SLC to St Geroge and back after Christmas. The road noise was almost unbearable. After a couple hours we did get used to it. Once home I bought a blanket to throw between the bimini and the soft top. Amazingly this works really well. Much quieter ride. Plus if I ever get stranded I have an extra blanket. When I open the top the blanket is small enough to be tucked just about anywhere.

Gearshade bimini top and a cheap IKEA blanket.

PXL_20220104_211232216.jpg
Is that the Ford Bimini top or another brand?

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's not how that works.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't see the point in stretching the fabric and putting a blanket above my head. The roof comes off the bronco, it's never going to be as quiet as a vehicle with a solid roof.

Reality vs expectations 🤷🏻‍♂️
Haha I know it isn't how it works - you posted the chart trying to show the difference is only 8db.

70db is 2x as loud as 60db so it's really a significant difference between F150 and top up soft top.

I don't personally care - it's what I signed up for - but your chart is misleading in that folks might see it and say it's only 10db what's the difference?

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first thing I did when I got my Bronco back in October was roll it down the highway at 80mph and used a decibel meter to compare it against my 2015 VW GTI at the same speed. I was shocked that the Bronco was only 5db higher on average. Did it again during the rain and the sound was more evenly matched.

The soft top is much quieter than I anticipated. I’ve put about 5K miles into mine so far, most of which are highway miles along the east coast. Trucks passing by def sound louder but otherwise the thing is surprisingly good at blocking our sound IMO. I guess it just depends on what you’re used to. I never considered my GTI loud, but I guess it was?

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha I know it isn't how it works - you posted the chart trying to show the difference is only 8db.

70db is 2x as loud as 60db so it's really a significant difference between F150 and top up soft top.

I don't personally care - it's what I signed up for - but your chart is misleading in that folks might see it and say it's only 10db what's the difference?
I guess that wasn't the point, I can't fix those who don't know what a difference in decibels are. The point was the difference between a hard top and soft top. Or that people think this is going to be a whisper quiet vehicle.

Sponsored

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I drove from South Florida to Central Illinois over Thanksgiving. I did this with moving blankets on the way back, and it was a night and day difference from the trip there. The top doesn't bother me, but my wife complained so I tried it, and it does make a big difference.

sage729

Big Bend
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Big Bend soft top, Area 51, non SAS, mid pack
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Who knew Ikea made Bronco accessories?!?

OP
OP
iKore

iKore

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Jeep TJ, 80 Series Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Brice, as my dear old Dad used to say, "That's using your head for something besides a hat rack". Damn good idea you had there bud......:)
lol My dad would say the same!
Thanks

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We need a thick windjammer but one that works with the top up. If we could block off the rear trunk area it would be much quieter on the hIghway. I’d get one just for long trips. Last week I went on a 2 hour road trip driving 75 to 80mph and my ears rang the whole trip. Guess I must have sensitive hearing. I did buy a gear shade to do the blanket mod but planning to get a sound blanket to get the most out of using it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iKore

iKore

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Jeep TJ, 80 Series Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In UT the speed limit is 80 so we were going +85

I thought about using a moving blanket but I wanted something lighter.

It is the Gearshade bimini, I suppose the Ford one would work as well.

As to where the noise is coming from, I THINK it is coming from over the rear doors. When the top is closed the sides do not lock down over the doors thus a good cross wind can separate the top from the roll bar. And we did have a good cross wind that weekend. So at a minimum maybe something along each side of the soft top.

Yes, turning up SiriusXM Classic Rewind makes it ALL go away!

I dunno really, just my real world, red neck, jack of all experience. :LOL:
Sponsored