Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Bronco will be my first vehicle capable of offroading so I've been trying to do research on different options. I won't be offroading enough to warrant the sasquatch package (although I love the way it looks) but I've been looking at adding rear locking differential to my BB build. I've read a lot about how it will be helpful and it seems like an easy add for $800, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Will there be any negative side effects to adding this?
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Bronco will be my first vehicle capable of offroading so I've been trying to do research on different options. I won't be offroading enough to warrant the sasquatch package (although I love the way it looks) but I've been looking at adding rear locking differential to my BB build. I've read a lot about how it will be helpful and it seems like an easy add for $800, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Will there be any negative side effects to adding this?
Rear locker at least is a must in my opinion. Nothing worse than seeing a vehicle stuck only spinning one wheel in the back and one in the front.

Kenny

Big Bend
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since you can turn it off, I can’t really think of an issue for my use. I’m in mud a lot. Don’t have rocks or desert. I want all 4 wheels pulling when I get in some gumbo.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Even if you never intend to use it, it will improve resale. But also consider it as cheap insurance for those situations when you need it. Better to have it and not use it then to need it and not have it.
The extra benefit are the lower gears. If you ever intend to tow or wheel larger tires, the lower gears will be a benefit. They aren't so low that your gas mileage will suffer and the higher rpms at highway speed may be 100 rpm at most. There are other threads with gear calculators indicating rpms at differing speeds and differing tire size.

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The rear differential will act the same as an open differential when not locked. You'll have no adverse affects or problems, and it will drive the same as a model without the locking rear differential. You'll only need to lock the diff in low traction situations and at low speeds. Based of the $800 price, I'm guessing you are getting an automatic, so you will also have the change from a 3.73 open differential to 4.27 locking. Beach_Bum describes those benefits above.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Rear locker is a MUST. When your wheels are slipping and you're not moving, simply engage the locker and you'll keep going. $795 is money well spent! As stated earlier, do NOT engage the locker on pavement or other dry surface with traction as you can damage the vehicle.

Sasquatch and Badlands have overkill capability that 90% of buyers will never use. Most everyone will benefit from having a rear locker at some point if they own the vehicle for any length of time.

Just do it!

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Never had one, never really needed one. A tight limited slip has done me well on the trail.

Our Black Diamond will have one, didn't specifically seek it out but hey... not going to turn it away either.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never had one, never really needed one. A tight limited slip has done me well on the trail.

Our Black Diamond will have one, didn't specifically seek it out but hey... not going to turn it away either.
You will love the selectable locker. Never wonder again if it is engaged. I have broken limited slips before and needed to upgrade clutches and springs.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You will love the selectable locker. Never wonder again if it is engaged. I have broken limited slips before and needed to upgrade clutches and springs.
This is her thing, I will still be rocking the limited slip on the trail.

It will be my ace in the hole if she gets it stuck though. ;)

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail...

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is when a rear diff locker is nice to have. My momentum would have kept me going but I wanted to attempt a pic posing...rear tires spun, locked up rear diff with the "easy button" and out I went.

PXL_20201005_182231904.jpg

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can't have a mechanical limited slip and a locker in one unit. It's an either or.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can't have a mechanical limited slip and a locker in one unit. It's an either or.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes...

I will be in my Ranger with the limited slip, she will be in the Bronco with the locker. I didn't really clarify that well. The Bronco will be her baby, not mine.
Sponsored