Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi yall, I know this os a bit outdated but here's a product that finally works on our broncos. Easy install , seems pretty secure. I understand all the arguments ts against them, unfortunately for me, I got vandalized and they slashed all 4 tires and poured sugar in my tank. I got lucky the tank is on the other side making the tube long, and noticed it before running the engine too much (ran for 5 minutes to run the on-board compressor) but don't want to risk my motor again. Waiting for the diagnosis was stressful

HIBRONGO Locking Gas Caps Fuel Filler Plug Cover w/Key for Capless Systems Compatible with Ford Bronco 2021 2022 2023 Accessories https://a.co/d/0ftjC94

20231019_133334.jpg

20231026_151820.jpg
Sooooo…….. 😗

You gonna tell us what you did to her to make her pour sugar in your tank? Bad break up, mad ex, or divorce? Or is she just a party girl who takes things too far, what?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi yall, I know this os a bit outdated but here's a product that finally works on our broncos. Easy install , seems pretty secure. I understand all the arguments ts against them, unfortunately for me, I got vandalized and they slashed all 4 tires and poured sugar in my tank. I got lucky the tank is on the other side making the tube long, and noticed it before running the engine too much (ran for 5 minutes to run the on-board compressor) but don't want to risk my motor again. Waiting for the diagnosis was stressful

HIBRONGO Locking Gas Caps Fuel Filler Plug Cover w/Key for Capless Systems Compatible with Ford Bronco 2021 2022 2023 Accessories https://a.co/d/0ftjC94

20231019_133334.jpg

20231026_151820.jpg
Thanks. I'll check out that locking cap.

People who haven't had their car vandalized maybe don't understand. It's not so much about stealing gasoline (although that happened to me a few times back in college with my 1965 Mustang).

It's about when some jerk poured a quart of oil I had laying in my CJ, down the fuel filler, probably just for kicks. (Thankfully I didn't have a bottle of soda or something in the Jeep.) I only noticed because the bottle was moved when I got back to the Jeep, then I noticed it was empty, and then on a hunch I inspected the fuel filler, and saw the oil spilled around and in the filler.

These sort of precautions are not for keeping a determined thief out. Rather they are protection from the garden variety crime of opportunity and mischief makers.

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Most people stealing gas nowadays just drill a hole in the tank and capture in a bucket. We’ve had it happen a few times on our company ride-share vans. Most vehicles have an anti-siphon valve so a hose is useless.
Oddly, this has happened enough times that I carry a couple of expanding rubber plugs in various sizes in the toolkit. Works well enough that the last time I had to use one, I left it in for 2-3 weeks while I waited for a new gas tank. Took so long that I ended up just putting a valve on the tank. Thank you gas thief that left a nice clean hole, used a 1/2" drill bit instead of some oddball size, and put it in an accesible flat spot. The courtesy of thieves these days is so appreciative.

Honestly though, I was quite happy with the last theivery situation. Several years back someone smashed a window, damaged the door frame, and dented the door around the handle in the process. They must have either been in a hurry or a little overweight since the back slider was wide open.

Last edited:

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just seeing this. I like the locking plug idea. Why? Well...

I was in Colorado a few years ago for a camping trip in my '20 Tundra. Vehicle was left at a trailhead for a day. Get back into town and need to get some gas and a wadded up plastic Coke bottle was left behind the filler door. I had no idea whether someone had poured anything in it, or it was just someone being a dick by putting their trash in my vehicle. So for the entire trip back home, 1000 miles, my butt was puckering wondering if my engine was going to be trashed.

So all that said to say that you don't have to have a scorned ex to screw with your property.
Sponsored