Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So with no gas cap...how do you keep dirt and debris from getting in? Do you wipe it off every time before you stick the nozzle in it? Seems like you would be constantly forcing crap into your tank.
Sponsored

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have seen the inside of every fuel door on every vehicle I have ever owned filled with snow and or dust. I do not want that **** in my fuel tank. And no, a little flap in the filler is not going to stop it.

I will happily deal with twisting a cap on and off to prevent water and rock grit from getting into my fuel system.

This is a system designed to appease people who won't go off road on an ostensibly off-road vehicle.
Ford's have a silicone seal around the door. Regardless of how I pressure wash my truck, no water gets in there. I know because after each was, my drying includes, door jambs, under hood, tailgate jam and fuel door, inside and out. I think your good.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s locked by proximity key. If doors are “locked” so is the fuel door. Once doors are “unlocked” then that allows you to push pop it open. Pretty standard on most vehicles these days.
Yeah, I don't think this is true. I know in some makes it is, but for Ford, I believe the gas door doesn't have a locking mechanism on it.

My Focus RS's gas door was able to be opened with doors locked and unlocked.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So with no gas cap...how do you keep dirt and debris from getting in? Do you wipe it off every time before you stick the nozzle in it? Seems like you would be constantly forcing crap into your tank.
On Ford's capless system there are two tabs that you have to press for the flap to open. The tabs are spaced exactly the size of a standard filler nozzle. On the 2nd gen versions, there's a second flap behind the first as well.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is one small feature I'm really looking forward too. We got a few small Transit Connects in our work fleet with the capless fueling and it's a small blessing in the freezing cold. Especially compared to my JK with a standard gas cap with no door just caked full of slush all winter long.

Had a locking gas cap on my previous car and it was a endless headache that I never want to revisit again.

Sponsored

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wouldn’t say there is a “fault” with the Ford cap less system. I understand wanting to add an extra layer of safety. I put this in the same category as wheel locks. If it adds piece of mind, you will not see it as inconvenient. While it won’t stop somebody who is determined to do something bad, It may be just inconvenient for a bad guy to move on to the next vehicle.

As for the “special” funnel... those things have been around for so long now there is nothing special about them anymore.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a capless fuel access and I never want to go back. Having a cap you twist off and potentially lose is a waste of time.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
With the Ford capless neck you need a funnel designed to unlock the top valve to even pour something into the tank. Every Ford vehicle now comes with capless necks and small white filler funnels in case you need to fill from a gas can.
And the likelihood of adding fuel on the trail or in camp is high. Don’t lose your white funnel. I was impressed that my son’s Jeep appeared to be an old school fill neck, so adding fuel wasn’t a problem.
“Sh!t. Lost my funnel!”
“I have mine.”
Can I borrow it.”
“Dunno. How much beer you got left, Yeti Boy?”

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is this considered ok? Anyone could walk right up and easily dump something into your gas tank...
You would be surprised how difficult it would be to pour something into your tank with anything less than an actual fuel nozzle. I can tell you from experience its nearly impossible to fill a Ford tank with a regular gas can without using the nozzle adapter that Ford supplies for this purpose. I have had these capless systems for over ten years on my various Fords with zero issues.

Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the Fords are anything like my Camaro, after the top flap there are two filters/screens that only liquid can pass by, not debris or any other siphoning mechanism. They would be blocked by these screens. The only crappy thing someone could do it put sugar water ect. in your tank if they're really out to get you but I'm pretty certain siphoning isn't an option.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even my old 1995 Trans Am had anti siphon stuff and my Fusion which has no lock or cap requires that oddly long and skinny funnel in the trunk to put any additives in the fuel tank. I'm personally more concerned with pillbillies snatching the catalytic converters on Broncos.

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2020 Explorer, with intelligent access, just check the fuel door with vehicle locked and key inside house, opened right up.

2019 GMC Canyon, basic key fob entry..same result
My 2008 Infiniti fx35 had a locking gas door, I didn’t realize this and ended up breaking the lock
Ford Bronco Locking fuel door 1620606482283

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How is this considered ok? Anyone could walk right up and easily dump something into your gas tank...
...or shatter your windshield, slash your tires, slash your soft top, key your car...literally anything could be done if a vandal is so inclined.
Sponsored