OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Back in the day there used to be ski racks that attached to a spare tire and the skis were vertical. Very simple design and easy to use. Anyone see anything like that for a Bronco? I know I hear about salt on your skis but I will use binding covers

Ty
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting. Will be watching this thread.

I know there is hitch-mounted ski racks (like this one from Thule). My brother uses a Yakima hitch-mounted ski rack on his Wrangler (that Yakima no longer sells). But never seen a rack that mounts to the spare tire itself.

OP
OP
OuterJersey

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think they were made for Jeep’s awhile back.

Simple Man

Black Diamond
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Subaru Outback MT,'70 F-250 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's called the Thule Spare Me (which they still make) with ski/snowboard attachment that they call the Tram that holds up to 6pr of skis or 4snoboards. I had this setup for my '97 TJ, but don't see the new setupworking with the backup camera which is where it mounts. Here's an example of both on a JK.

Ford Bronco Rear Spare tire vertical ski rack ? 1671518001867

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I made it work with the Thule Tram and the Hollywood Racks SR1. If you don’t want to do drilling and modification, it will still work (and it’s incredibly sturdy) but it can look a little bit messy. I got both parts just in time for a trip, so I didn’t drill new bolt holes, I just assembled as is.
I have gone 85 with skis in it, no extra noise coming from the back and they didn’t move at all. I did put a piece of wood on the bottom of the Thule because I didn’t like where the bolt heads were resting on the sidewall, but I ordered rubber bumpers to get rid of the wood. Just have to wait for them to come in.
The downside of not drilling new bolt holes is that the Thule and SR1 have to interlock to fit together, where the Thule sits behind the SR1 on bottom.
The upside is that it will cost a just a bit more than a hitch alone if you buy both used, the camera works great, and the tailgate is still fully functional!

Ford Bronco Rear Spare tire vertical ski rack ? B353D70A-ED81-450D-8442-CC0095A213F9

Ford Bronco Rear Spare tire vertical ski rack ? DB721134-0B7C-4D2F-8129-D9F7A29232E2

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need something similar for oars when I go to the boat. Fabricating a basket off the receiver hitch and some sort of loop mounted to the spare tire should work.

wheretheheckisjoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same exact question months ago and did a deep-dive on this topic. First of all, hitch- mounted ski racks kinda suck, even with a long hitch extender! The swing-out tailgate with the Sasquatch tire still makes contact with the rack, preventing it from opening up fully. Pain in the butt!

One of the most intriguing solutions I came across was the "Fabbri Gringo" ski rack, though I don't see any particularly easy way to buy these in the USA. Furthermore, it appears the design would hamper the backup camera as well, just like the Thule solution. It's also pretty expensive to have it shipped from Europe.

https://www.fabbri.info/en/collezioni/gringo-ski-gringo-ski-board/

Overall, @jolson1228 looks like he found the best solution. I'll have to take a look at that!
Sponsored