4runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi Everyone:

I'd like to add a 2" Hitch receiver and have it hanging below the spare tire so that I can use an off the shelf bike rack and have the bike rack rear door and spare tire all swing out at once without the need to have a bike rack on the standard hitch receiver below the spare tire where a swing out mechanism would need to be added to allow for the rear cargo door to open.

The main question I have is where can I find information about weight limits on how much weight the rear door can accommodate (if any) when swung out, I'd like to get at least 2 bikes on there maybe even 4 ?

Any insight info or links to what I am trying to accomplish either with an off the shelf product or just weight limits so I can design myself greatly appreciate ! I'm not looking for bike rack suggestions I'm looking for suggestions or off the shelf products that would put a hitch receiver where I can use any hitch mounted bike rack on the rear door.

Thank you in advance. Attached is a picture of a toyota with the idea.

Ford Bronco Rear Swing out Door Bike Carrier Idea and Weight Considerations 1642045342964
Sponsored

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi Everyone:

I'd like to add a 2" Hitch receiver and have it hanging below the spare tire so that I can use an off the shelf bike rack and have the bike rack rear door and spare tire all swing out at once without the need to have a bike rack on the standard hitch receiver below the spare tire where a swing out mechanism would need to be added to allow for the rear cargo door to open.

The main question I have is where can I find information about weight limits on how much weight the rear door can accommodate (if any) when swung out, I'd like to get at least 2 bikes on there maybe even 4 ?

Any insight info or links to what I am trying to accomplish either with an off the shelf product or just weight limits so I can design myself greatly appreciate ! I'm not looking for bike rack suggestions I'm looking for suggestions or off the shelf products that would put a hitch receiver where I can use any hitch mounted bike rack on the rear door.

Ford Bronco Rear Swing out Door Bike Carrier Idea and Weight Considerations 1642045342964
That’s cool. This doesn’t answer your question but I fit 2 road bikes in the back taking the front tires off and using fork clamps mounted on a board. Works great

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's not too bad of a capacity for the Bronco. I wonder how it compares to the Wrangler capacity.

Wranglers have had issues over the years with larger heavier spares warping/tearing the rear door mountings. In fact there are some aftermarket braces available. Or bumper mounted swinging tire carries like I installed on my Wrangler.

I'd like to see how well the 35" spares hold up on the Bronco over time and a lot of off-road jostling.

bb163

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Promaster
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi Everyone:

If you’re still in the market here is what I make to work with the 1up bike racks.

IMG_2852.jpeg

IMG_2851.jpeg

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_2854.jpeg

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As noted in the other thread on this adapter plate system, it looks very stout. Love the design @bb163 . You advise Raptor hinges and stronger aftermarket spare mounting plate, correct?

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

133lbs INCLUDING the spare
…but NOT including Mr. Newton’s 2nd law of motion. ;)

Remember that hitting bumps offroad and/or at speed increases the force on your gate beyond the static weight.

Food for thought

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember that hitting bumps offroad and/or at speed increases the force on your gate beyond the static weight.

Food for thought

Would that not be part of Ford's testing?

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Would that not be part of Ford's testing?
Could be. But even so…it seems like it would be subjective. Did they test the equivalent of hitting a speed bump at 40mph? Or launching all 4 tires in the air at the dunes? :ROFLMAO:

Of course, I couldn’t say. But I am learning that Ford tends to (how to put this gently) “exaggerate” the toughness of the Bronco in their marketing. There‘s a certain image they put out there pre-sales. Generates a lot of excitement and opens a few checkbooks.

But the service managers don’t always agree with this image when it comes time for a warranty claim.

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you’re still in the market here is what I make to work with the 1up bike racks.

Ford Bronco Rear Swing out Door Bike Carrier Idea and Weight Considerations IMG_2854

Ford Bronco Rear Swing out Door Bike Carrier Idea and Weight Considerations IMG_2854

This looks kind of sketchy. What is the combined weight of the bikes and rack, and how far back are they hanging from the tailgate?

Sponsored

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This looks kind of sketchy. What is the combined weight of the bikes and rack, and how far back are they hanging from the tailgate?
That rack weighs next to nothing. I ordered a fancier version and the solo bike part weighs 28lbs. The add-on is another 22lbs. My bikes are around 25lbs each. So solo trip is 53lbs or less. This guy's design nailed it.

I'm still considering ordering it and going with the evil 1Up to have an extra option.

My only concern would be weight coupled with the leverage. But it is negligible.

As a comparison I just got rid of a Kuat Piston Pro that weighed 70+ lbs and I could watch the back of the Bronco sag when hooking it up. That was just the hitch on an extension.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Food for thought
The weight rating takes this into account.

It's obvious because the Wildrak beadlock tire and wheel (35") are about 90 lb and the truck can easily generate 2g on whoops/similar. That exceeds the rating given.

Last edited:

bb163

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Promaster
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As noted in the other thread on this adapter plate system, it looks very stout. Love the design @bb163 . You advise Raptor hinges and stronger aftermarket spare mounting plate, correct?
Yes I would encourage adding a tailgate support when adding any additional weight to the tailgate.