Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
TLDR;

I had the most fun I've had in the past 3 years on Tuesday 7/19/2022 at the Bronco Off-Rodeo at Gunstock Mountain. I learned a lot about the bronco, its capabilities, and my capabilities with it. I also learned must faster than I expected, how close to things I can get with the bronco, how tight it can turn, and overall feel much more confident afterward about the edges of the vehicle, and what "close to something" really means.

If you ordered a Bronco, or have a Bronco already, I can confidently say a Bronco Off-Rodeo is a worthwhile investment in your time and money, particularly the one I visited in New Hampshire.

The Story

I invited my father along for the event in New Hampshire, choosing that location because this will most closely match what I have in my state of Minnesota or if I go to Wisconsin.
We flew in on Monday into the rain that was covering Boston and into New Hampshire all day long. I felt bad for anyone who was doing the event on that Monday and hoped we didn't have rain on Tuesday.

Now a word on where we stayed which was Steele Hill Resort. The best I can say is that I have to imagine there is a better value out there from somewhere else. I personally wouldn't ever consider returning. If someone wants more details I can share them. But I had an overall negative experience considering the price charged. I was very disappointed.

Tuesday started as a sunny day as we drove out to Gunstock mountain for the event. It was a little challenging to find basecamp, but we eventually found the sign pointing us to the location, parked, and headed in. We checked in and started seeing who else would be on this adventure with us.

There were 4 drivers (including myself) with 2 guests and one interpreter for one of the drivers.

My dad didn't want to drive the whole time. I'm not sure if other guests drove.
The one person without a second person had our guide ride with her. Our guide today was Ed.

I'm terrible with names, and while we went through introductions I only remember:
  • Hannah - (Green Bronco with the winch with our Guide) because she pronounces her name with a broad "a" sound rather than the typical American pronunciation.
  • Mike - (Race Red Bronco) because his name is the same as mine
  • Todd and his wife From Near Cleveland, OH (Cyber Orange), drove their badlands to the event.
  • Me, Mike - (Hot Pepper red)
Overall we all had a most excellent time, no damage occurred on the trail, but for a disconnected wheel flare when it tapped a tree once, but it fit right back in place after that. The undersides picked up a few scrapes though. One time stuck with me when I was driving and following Ed's instructions and we moved between two tight trees while driving over rocks when a rock loosened up by the previous day's rain came too loose and smacked the underside of my rig hard enough that Ed winced. (a later check didn't show any issue)
Yesterday's rain became a common thread through the day with mud making things slightly slippery for the first bronco across an obstacle, but downright super slippery for the last one in the group. Generally, we were using lockers a little more than we otherwise would due to the mud and not wanting to tear up the trails.

Observations
  • It's amazing how different angles can feel when you are in the Bronco vs when you look at them with a protractor. My dad watched my dash and going up the highest angle I achieved was 23 degrees. And going down the highest angle was 28 degrees. They both felt way more than that.
  • We had the steering wheel going from lock to lock, often over rocks or another obstacle, and not once did we have a tie rod arm fail. I think the key was we were going slow and easy.
  • Being able to disconnect the stabilizer bar allowed forward progress in some circumstances, without a locker being engaged. I don't have the electronic stabar disconnection system but I'll be adding manual ones after what I experience in this event.
  • The front locker was used sparingly, and really mostly due to muddy conditions. In the heavy rocks that we experienced in the afternoon, the front locker was needed to keep us moving through some rocks that were uphill.
  • Just a rear locker can take you far. Outside the field of rocks we had to cross, I think just a rear locker would do enough
What were the biggest benefits of this for me:
  • Far and beyond anything else is that I now have a very good sense of where the edges are in a 2 door bronco. Having a guide like Ed taking me right up to the tree, then having me turn. guiding me between two trees. Feeling when the rear will come off a rock. All those things dramatically increased my confidence in where the sides and front of my bronco are.
  • I really got a chance to see what a Bronco can really do. The auto trans plus low range was just killer. I knew the bronco was good, but this was off the hook. My dad was extremely impressed. And more importantly, it didn't need all that much power to do what it did. Modulated with the brake, the auto's Manual 1 gear in low range was the gorilla that conquered the rocks. I imagine with the 7-speed, the crawl gears greater crawl ratio will mean it is modulated more with the throttle, than the autos use of the brake.
Errata
  • The morning session was Ed teaching us to fly. After lunch, Ed pushed us out of the Nest and it was both exhilarating, as well as challenging.
  • If you want to have more time on the trail, and less time waiting, reserve any day other than Saturday for the event.
  • Did you know Ford doesn't own the Bronco Off-Rodeo? The vehicles we drove this weekend will be put up for sale eventually? Some of the things you learn at the event.
  • We spent about 7-8 hours of the day in the Bronco. I went just over 10 miles during that time using a 1/2 tank of gas. A lot of driving for very little distance.

Photos

Ed talking about approach angle and the interpreter
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH 1RXlLiUl

Ed starting to show us the ropes.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH 2Qm9jBel

Todd (that Bronco looked so nice in the woods)
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH l7TSMrfl

The other Mike navigating the rocks
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH cZh4Sxll

So Pretty
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH GBXVGkjl

Just a little closer
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH DBrK4u5l

Over the rocks, we go
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH ekRkC2Kl

The area is so beautiful, here Hanna negotiating some rocks, Ed teaching us to choose a path.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH HcRgmXhl

Photos really flatten the inclines out. This one was about 18 degrees.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH U7pRpSAl

Here you can see the mud as I'm slightly uphill waiting for everyone to get through the obstacle.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH iiWAxegl

The views!
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH 8RjTJNfl

Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH wvHxfUml

Many of the trails we were on are nordic skiing trails in the winter. Here you can see the various trails in the winter.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH JeVdojHl

We stopped to get some recovery tips from Ed, the Forest Green rig not pictured.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH 81QDYddl

I didn't tilt the camera here, that's the actual angle of the rock slab obstacle. they are moving over. the hard part was earlier as you see Ed coming back to lead.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH UqIqfMol

Guiding Todd through a particularly challenging section.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH lowe48tl

Warned about damaging the sidewalls, here you see the interpreter spotting for Mike as he squeezes between two rocks. I think I chose to drive over the ones on the passenger side.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH sdNWm41l

Here was me getting tippy at the beginning.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH hkUjWZWl

Here I was taking a line across the top of two rocks on the passenger side.
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH HIYbybHl
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great writeup! the gunstock off-roadeo was an excellent event to get introduced to the potential of the bronco off-road!

J.O.

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great follow-up! Looks to be a rewarding trip. I may have to sign up just to see an actual HPR Bronco in person!

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TLDR;

I had the most fun I've had in the past 3 years on Tuesday 7/19/2022 at the Bronco Off-Rodeo at Gunstock Mountain. I learned a lot about the bronco, its capabilities, and my capabilities with it. I also learned must faster than I expected, how close to things I can get with the bronco, how tight it can turn, and overall feel much more confident afterward about the edges of the vehicle, and what "close to something" really means.

If you ordered a Bronco, or have a Bronco already, I can confidently say a Bronco Off-Rodeo is a worthwhile investment in your time and money, particularly the one I visited in New Hampshire.

The Story

I invited my father along for the event in New Hampshire, choosing that location because this will most closely match what I have in my state of Minnesota or if I go to Wisconsin.
We flew in on Monday into the rain that was covering Boston and into New Hampshire all day long. I felt bad for anyone who was doing the event on that Monday and hoped we didn't have rain on Tuesday.

Now a word on where we stayed which was Steele Hill Resort. The best I can say is that I have to imagine there is a better value out there from somewhere else. I personally wouldn't ever consider returning. If someone wants more details I can share them. But I had an overall negative experience considering the price charged. I was very disappointed.

Tuesday started as a sunny day as we drove out to Gunstock mountain for the event. It was a little challenging to find basecamp, but we eventually found the sign pointing us to the location, parked, and headed in. We checked in and started seeing who else would be on this adventure with us.

There were 4 drivers (including myself) with 2 guests and one interpreter for one of the drivers.

My dad didn't want to drive the whole time. I'm not sure if other guests drove.
The one person without a second person had our guide ride with her. Our guide today was Ed.

I'm terrible with names, and while we went through introductions I only remember:
  • Hannah - (Green Bronco with the winch with our Guide) because she pronounces her name with a broad "a" sound rather than the typical American pronunciation.
  • Mike - (Race Red Bronco) because his name is the same as mine
  • Todd and his wife From Near Cleveland, OH (Cyber Orange), drove their badlands to the event.
  • Me, Mike - (Hot Pepper red)
Overall we all had a most excellent time, no damage occurred on the trail, but for a disconnected wheel flare when it tapped a tree once, but it fit right back in place after that. The undersides picked up a few scrapes though. One time stuck with me when I was driving and following Ed's instructions and we moved between two tight trees while driving over rocks when a rock loosened up by the previous day's rain came too loose and smacked the underside of my rig hard enough that Ed winced. (a later check didn't show any issue)
Yesterday's rain became a common thread through the day with mud making things slightly slippery for the first bronco across an obstacle, but downright super slippery for the last one in the group. Generally, we were using lockers a little more than we otherwise would due to the mud and not wanting to tear up the trails.

Observations
  • It's amazing how different angles can feel when you are in the Bronco vs when you look at them with a protractor. My dad watched my dash and going up the highest angle I achieved was 23 degrees. And going down the highest angle was 28 degrees. They both felt way more than that.
  • We had the steering wheel going from lock to lock, often over rocks or another obstacle, and not once did we have a tie rod arm fail. I think the key was we were going slow and easy.
  • Being able to disconnect the stabilizer bar allowed forward progress in some circumstances, without a locker being engaged. I don't have the electronic stabar disconnection system but I'll be adding manual ones after what I experience in this event.
  • The front locker was used sparingly, and really mostly due to muddy conditions. In the heavy rocks that we experienced in the afternoon, the front locker was needed to keep us moving through some rocks that were uphill.
  • Just a rear locker can take you far. Outside the field of rocks we had to cross, I think just a rear locker would do enough
What were the biggest benefits of this for me:
  • Far and beyond anything else is that I now have a very good sense of where the edges are in a 2 door bronco. Having a guide like Ed taking me right up to the tree, then having me turn. guiding me between two trees. Feeling when the rear will come off a rock. All those things dramatically increased my confidence in where the sides and front of my bronco are.
  • I really got a chance to see what a Bronco can really do. The auto trans plus low range was just killer. I knew the bronco was good, but this was off the hook. My dad was extremely impressed. And more importantly, it didn't need all that much power to do what it did. Modulated with the brake, the auto's Manual 1 gear in low range was the gorilla that conquered the rocks. I imagine with the 7-speed, the crawl gears greater crawl ratio will mean it is modulated more with the throttle, than the autos use of the brake.
Errata
  • The morning session was Ed teaching us to fly. After lunch, Ed pushed us out of the Nest and it was both exhilarating, as well as challenging.
  • If you want to have more time on the trail, and less time waiting, reserve any day other than Saturday for the event.
  • Did you know Ford doesn't own the Bronco Off-Rodeo? The vehicles we drove this weekend will be put up for sale eventually? Some of the things you learn at the event.
  • We spent about 7-8 hours of the day in the Bronco. I went just over 10 miles during that time using a 1/2 tank of gas. A lot of driving for very little distance.

Photos

Ed talking about approach angle and the interpreter
Ford Bronco Recap - July 19 Bronco Off-Rodeo in at Gunstock Mountain, NH HIYbybHl

Ed starting to show us the ropes.

Todd (that Bronco looked so nice in the woods)

The other Mike navigating the rocks

So Pretty

Just a little closer

Over the rocks, we go

The area is so beautiful, here Hanna negotiating some rocks, Ed teaching us to choose a path.

Photos really flatten the inclines out. This one was about 18 degrees.

Here you can see the mud as I'm slightly uphill waiting for everyone to get through the obstacle.

The views!

Many of the trails we were on are nordic skiing trails in the winter. Here you can see the various trails in the winter.

We stopped to get some recovery tips from Ed, the Forest Green rig not pictured.

I didn't tilt the camera here, that's the actual angle of the rock slab obstacle. they are moving over. the hard part was earlier as you see Ed coming back to lead.

Guiding Todd through a particularly challenging section.

Warned about damaging the sidewalls, here you see the interpreter spotting for Mike as he squeezes between two rocks. I think I chose to drive over the ones on the passenger side.

Here was me getting tippy at the beginning.

Here I was taking a line across the top of two rocks on the passenger side.
Where can I buy these shits? Lol who owns them?

DEbroncos

First Edition
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just finished the off rodeo at Gunstock NH today and it was better than I and some other people were expecting. If you ever get the chance to attend one of these things, don't miss it. I was really impressed with how these Broncos took everything with relative ease on some pretty tough trails.
The guides and staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would love to do it again.

mgraced

Outer Banks
First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I actually drove up on Sun to buy some swag. They were closed, no training. Was completely bummed. But then again I saved myself a boatload of đź’°
Sponsored