First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is what I’d be concerned about. I’ve only driven manual transmission vehicles since 2005, and I can’t tell you the last time I didn’t leave it in gear
In gear is definitely good practice. But I am for sure installing remote start, whether 3rd party or forscan. I intend to only use it when parked on flat ground, and feel confident I am as safe as anyone doing so.

Having a thawed windshield when you walk out is a priceless luxury in these northern states.
Sponsored

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As do I, but my point is especially on the new Bronco there's already a gear position indicator and likely a clutch switch. How hard is it to add a couple lines of code to the remote start to verify the gearshift is in neutral and the parking brake is on?
The technical change isn’t the issue or the challenge. When a neutral switch goes bad on a bike, or on a car with ASS, there’s a human on top of a brake lever/pedal to react to a mechanical failure mode. Not so much with remote start.

Mike_D

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4D Bronco BD, '23 2D Bronco Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Following. My Bronco is still on Ice Mountain.

OP
OP
Buck Your Bronco

Buck Your Bronco

Badlands
First Name
charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The technical change isn’t the issue or the challenge. When a neutral switch goes bad on a bike, or on a car with ASS, there’s a human on top of a brake lever/pedal to react to a mechanical failure mode. Not so much with remote start.
If the NSS failed, it would fail open, meaning there would not be a confirmation of neutral, so it just wouldn’t start.

And I disagree that ASS is any safer if there was a circuit failure; in those cases you’re on the road with either a car in front or cross traffic, and if you’ve ever started in gear you know it is a very sudden jolt, and likely a driver not at all prepared to react that quickly. if there was a failure in the ASS, you would most certainly have a collision. My point is not that ASS is unsafe, just that I expect Ford has already engineered safe operation into the neutral start circuit, including fail-safe.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m in for even just a slight possibility this works 👍. No clue how to mess with forscan, but definitely worth it if it does work.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Would be cool to get this working. I planned on installing a block heater, but it’s still in the box. Didn’t get a chance before temps dropped.

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If the NSS failed, it would fail open, meaning there would not be a confirmation of neutral, so it just wouldn’t start.

And I disagree that ASS is any safer if there was a circuit failure; in those cases you’re on the road with either a car in front or cross traffic, and if you’ve ever started in gear you know it is a very sudden jolt, and likely a driver not at all prepared to react that quickly. if there was a failure in the ASS, you would most certainly have a collision. My point is not that ASS is unsafe, just that I expect Ford has already engineered safe operation into the neutral start circuit, including fail-safe.
That's an interesting position - and like zombie said, very little technical hurdle to implement. Care to speculate then why Ford would completely ignore remote start on manual transmissions?

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's an interesting position - and like zombie said, very little technical hurdle to implement. Care to speculate then why Ford would completely ignore remote start on manual transmissions?
its a liability they do not want to handle.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same reason they try to ignore manual transmission for all kinds of things, at least in part. It pushes more people to automatics, which increase the cost of the vehicle. Same reason you can’t get a mid package on a manual bronco in a black diamond or big bend trim, but you can on a badlands(only technical difference there is the cost). For every feature they keep off the manual trans, that’s a few more people that will go automatic to get that feature. And if enough people give up on the manual they can just get rid of it entirely, simplify their manufacturing process with one less option.

That might not be specific to remote start or the only reason, but I’m sure it’s a consideration. Another reason is perception. Remote start on a manual used to be a liability for sure, and there were plenty of instances of aftermarket units malfunctioning or starting in gear or whatever creating dangerous situations, even totaling vehicles. But with how advanced things have gotten, even the aftermarket ones have very little actual liability left if they aren’t super cheap(and are installed correctly), a factory installed one from the manufacturer could easily be almost foolproof at this point. But everyone still has the perceived danger with them, so no manufacturer wants to step up and change that perception. It’s an additional cost for something that no manufacturer has done yet and the longer they all go without doing it the more it reinforces people’s perception that it’s dangerous.

OP
OP
Buck Your Bronco

Buck Your Bronco

Badlands
First Name
charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same reason they try to ignore manual transmission for all kinds of things, at least in part. It pushes more people to automatics, which increase the cost of the vehicle. Same reason you can’t get a mid package on a manual bronco in a black diamond or big bend trim, but you can on a badlands(only technical difference there is the cost). For every feature they keep off the manual trans, that’s a few more people that will go automatic to get that feature. And if enough people give up on the manual they can just get rid of it entirely, simplify their manufacturing process with one less option.

That might not be specific to remote start or the only reason, but I’m sure it’s a consideration. Another reason is perception. Remote start on a manual used to be a liability for sure, and there were plenty of instances of aftermarket units malfunctioning or starting in gear or whatever creating dangerous situations, even totaling vehicles. But with how advanced things have gotten, even the aftermarket ones have very little actual liability left if they aren’t super cheap(and are installed correctly), a factory installed one from the manufacturer could easily be almost foolproof at this point. But everyone still has the perceived danger with them, so no manufacturer wants to step up and change that perception. It’s an additional cost for something that no manufacturer has done yet and the longer they all go without doing it the more it reinforces people’s perception that it’s dangerous.
yes, 100% agree. There is no excuse, just another game their playing with manual trans people. I think they really didn't want to do a manual, but being a bronco they felt they had to, so are trying to cherry pick things to keep the numbers down. I for one would not of even ordered a bronco (or a new vehicle for that matter, my 2016 Ram 2500 6spd was doing me just fine) if it was not for the manual. All comes down to money, and frankly people just don't buy manuals for one reason or another.

I think it was stupid to not offer a 2.7/manual, but at least there is a reasonable excuse there with the separate engine and whatever mounting or new clutch parts, or whatever else might be different. Things like remote start, TTA, package limitations, or the 1 pedal drive are just decisions they made to dumb down the manuals.

And yes I understand many manual drivers don't care about these, and say they won't use em anyway, but let's be real...if "people" don't buy manuals, they will stop producing them. And if some "people" don't buy manuals because they can't get remote start, TTA, etc, then yea, it affects us. It's not a deal breaker, but geez, the tech is already in place, just get out of the way!

Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having driven a stick for 30 something years and half million miles. I have never ever left it in gear on a flat surface. That is what a parking brake is for. Never had one roll.
With that said the Bronco can be started in gear, says so in the description of the manual in the Owners Manual There is obviously an interlock keeping it from engaging any gears.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False

2050Broncoorsomething

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Confirmed - ASS will start with no brake or clutch pedal pressed, so the computer definitely knows it’s in neutral and is totally cool starting without the clutch.

I found a few things in the f150 spreadsheet that look promising, the one in the BCM references above, which I think has to do with the key. but also I found one in the SYNC computer (forget what that’s called) that seems to be linked to the FordPass app. It had the remote start disabled for mine, but I found a base and a badlands with autos and both had remote start enabled on that location.

Once I get a few minutes to actually hook up the computer I’ll test them out
Im not saying this would work, but if you found the clutch interlock on forscan, couldnt you turn that off. Then buy the normal start stop module install it? Im in the south so I am not going to install it but in theory I think it would work.

OP
OP
Buck Your Bronco

Buck Your Bronco

Badlands
First Name
charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I was able to get the BCM modules configured, but it was clear it needs to be done in a certain order, because it only allowed the change when I did the 726-30-01 first. After that I was able to change the other BCMs

Remote start enableBCM726-30-01xxxxxxx1xx--
Remote Start Lighting EnableBCM726-63-02xxxxxxx1xx--
Two-way Remote keyless entry enableBCM726-66-01xxxxxxx1xx--

I also suspect I need to change it in the IPC for the key to work, but so far I haven't gotten it to allow the change. I suspect there are other modules that need changing which I haven't found yet.

Remote Start via keyfobIPC0720-02-02xxxxFxxxxx--

I just get error "the vehicle conditions are incorrect" and "service procedure has been interrupted", and it reverts back to as-built conditions.

I picked up an extra key (OEM with Bronco logo) off eBay, which I was able to program, but it seems this one has the 903Mhz, where my key is 315Mhz. I suspect the remote start uses the 903Mhz, can anyone with auto/remote start confirm what Mhz their key is? it's on the sticker that came with your key, or if you pull the battery it will be printed on the circuit board 903 or 315. There seem to be slim pickins in the way of keys available and I'm not ready to drop $200+ on new OEM key yet.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having driven a stick for 30 something years and half million miles. I have never ever left it in gear on a flat surface. That is what a parking brake is for. Never had one roll.
With that said the Bronco can be started in gear, says so in the description of the manual in the Owners Manual There is obviously an interlock keeping it from engaging any gears.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False
I always park my manuals in gear, I can count the times I ever used the hand brake on one hand.

It will start in gear and start moving, if gear is too high it will just stall

OP
OP
Buck Your Bronco

Buck Your Bronco

Badlands
First Name
charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm at a roadblock, can't get it to write the IPC. I tried some other door chime IPC mod and that didn't work so I'm hoping it's just a problem with forscan comms. Searched their forums and seems common on new models, so hoping a new release will fix that. Does anybody else have issues writing to IPC, on anything?

If anybody else with a manual or lower trim automatic is reading this, here is my list so far of what needs changing, please let me know if you get any results. I suspect the lower trims can get a remote start key fob to work with these changes, as that was confirmed on the forscan forum for other cars with these settings (ish...lol).

Remote Start via keyfobIPC0720-02-02xxxxFxxxxx--
Remote start enableBCM726-30-01xxxxxxx1xx--
Remote Start Lighting EnableBCM726-63-02xxxxxxx1xx--
Two-way Remote keyless entry enableBCM726-66-01xxxxxxx1xx--
Remote start feature enableAPIM7D0-09-01xxxxxxxxFx--
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.