Sponsored

Replacing a plastic bumper with a steel capable one? Bolt on?

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am selling my steel capable bumper and keep getting questions if it's just bolt on installation or not? Could someone take off the OEM plastic bumper and put the capable one instead?
Sponsored

TheBroncolorian

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can confirm steel (aka capable) bumpers swap over to builds with standard bumpers.

TheBroncolorian

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought you had to either cut off the tow hooks, or buy the replacement brackets?
I installed mine without cutting the front tow hooks, but admittedly there’s a tight fit/access point for each one now between the plastic skid plate and how the steel bumper is shaped to hang over the space where the tow hooks sit.

OP
OP
evgenyvasenev

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed mine without cutting the front tow hooks, but admittedly there’s a tight fit/access point for each one now between the plastic skid plate and how the steel bumper is shaped to hang over the space where the tow hooks sit.
So if someone wants to use the steel bumper D shape hooks, what should be done?

Sponsored

TheBroncolorian

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So if someone wants to use the steel bumper D shape hooks, what should be done?
You’re referring to these right?
Ford Bronco Replacing a plastic bumper with a steel capable one? Bolt on? 9400502D-923F-419E-B486-E7C5B859582F

If so, nothing has to be done. These sit on their own brackets on the caps covering the mounting holes that don’t affect the mounting of the bumper itself.

OP
OP
evgenyvasenev

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re referring to these right?
Ford Bronco Replacing a plastic bumper with a steel capable one? Bolt on? 9400502D-923F-419E-B486-E7C5B859582F

If so, nothing has to be done. These sit on their own brackets on the caps covering the mounting holes that don’t affect the mounting of the bumper itself.
Yes, these. So removing existing recovery points would make it ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker, correct?

TheBroncolorian

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, these. So removing existing recovery points would make it ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker, correct?
I personally wouldn’t take the recovery/tow hooks off at all, simply because that’s what the plastic skid plate connects to and sits on (unless you have a plan to upgrade that part also). It’s a bit more finagling with a second person to line up the bolt holes with them still in place, but it’s certainly possible.

Function_7

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I personally wouldn’t take the recovery/tow hooks off at all, simply because that’s what the plastic skid plate connects to and sits on (unless you have a plan to upgrade that part also). It’s a bit more finagling with a second person to line up the bolt holes with them still in place, but it’s certainly possible.
other than a little finagling, is it basically plug & play; remove bolts, pull old bumper off, put new bumper on, screw in bolts? Or are there any other necessary parts to make it work?

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

other than a little finagling, is it basically plug & play; remove bolts, pull old bumper off, put new bumper on, screw in bolts? Or are there any other necessary parts to make it work?
If you have parking sensors you might need new mounts.

Otherwise swaps right over. I ended up cutting off my friends tow hooks because there wasn't enough room.

The annoying part for me was routing the existing harness back through, my OCD kicked in.

Sponsored

TheBroncolorian

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Otherwise swaps right over. I ended up cutting off my friends tow hooks because there wasn't enough room.

The annoying part for me was routing the existing harness back through, my OCD kicked in.
Finding those parking sensor retainers was quite the chore, and boy did they take their sweet time getting to me.

Routing the harness isn’t too terrible, but I have a factory barcode tag that’s now visible in the pocket around the Capable Bumper’s left fog light that makes my OCD spin a bit 😅

Function_7

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

sorry to be a pain, but do you mind elaborating on the harness routing? What are you routing it through?
TIA

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

sorry to be a pain, but do you mind elaborating on the harness routing? What are you routing it through?
TIA
It's only a pain if you try run it like it was oem or reuse some of the clips. Otherwise couple zipties and you can zip it up however you want to.

You have to remove the extra innards to get it the way it was oem.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I removed a capable bumper and installed an aftermarket Havoc bumper. The Capable bumper was only held on with 3 bolts from each D-ring to a removable plate around each frame rail. That removable plate was where the threads were located. If the plastic bumpers do not mount the same way, I would say the capable bumper needs to be sold with the bolts and that removable plate. Hopefully your aftermarket bumper came with sturdier replacement frame mount brackets like the Havoc did.
Sponsored