Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After toying around with different scenarios and losing my sanity I need some outside advice. I currently drive a Dodge Ram 1500 lease for 36,000 miles with lease end in October. I just crossed 33,000 miles today. Trying to be conservative as possible but I know by the time October rolls around Iā€™ll be pushing 40,000+ miles.
So my dilemma: Iā€™m a late reservation holder. Reserved 2/9 but my dealer had allocations still by some luck of the draw (still think they have some actually last time I talked to the sales manager) and placed an in store order 2/19. So obviously I know Iā€™ll still likely be a MY22. Iā€™m ā€œhopingā€ to maybe take delivery in say Idk around December just for an example. If Dodge lets me go month to month and extend the lease to December, letā€™s just say Iā€™m at 43,000 miles. At 0.25 milage penalty ill be looking at $1750 in milage penalties plus whatever they decide to try and ding me for (already know Iā€™ll be charged for new tires) since Iā€™m not going with another dodge/jeep.

Would you ride out the lease as long as possible, or, would you think it would be worth taking advantage of say getting into a used jeep for like 18-20k and trade in when the bronco arrives. That way can build up at least a little bit of equity in something over the next year while waiting for the Bronco. Assuming the jeep doesnā€™t depreciate that fast.

I figured build up some equity into something for the next year while I wait and a lower payment so I can put even more aside for down payment. Was going to buy a junker but having a hard time finding something thatā€™s not going to cost me an arm and leg to constantly repair over the next year.

Sorry for the long post but I GREATLY appreciate yā€™allā€™s feedback.
Sponsored

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wouldn't do either of those things honestly. Short term car game is a lose-lose situation. If you're not too particular about what you need, turn your car in and get something on SwapLease for 6 mos. If Bronco still not here, do another one. That, in my experience, is the most cost-effective way to get a car for a short period.

OP
OP

Telliott0033

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't do either of those things honestly. Short term car game is a lose-lose situation. If you're not too particular about what you need, turn your car in and get something on SwapLease for 6 mos. If Bronco still not here, do another one. That, in my experience, is the most cost-effective way to get a car for a short period.
Never heard of swaplease thatā€™s a good idea actually Iā€™ll have to look into that. Thatā€™s whatā€™s been giving me a headache I know no matter which way was going to be lose lose haha

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sometimes if you are staying within the same brand / same dealer and there's a month or two gap from your old lease to new order arriving they'll help you out and give you a demo or loaner, but that's not a medium term solution like you need.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you really need a car, and nothing more, then a used Toyota Corolla is in your future. Bare minimum running costs, dependable, and you'll barely be out any money because Toyota resale values are ridiculous.

You'll hate it, but if done right it can be a very affordable option. Hell, you might decide to keep it as a cheap rainy-day car.

Sponsored

Jarvis

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another option to consider is seeing what Carmax will give you at the end of your lease. Depending on your residual value number and with how hot the used truck market is right now, you may walk away with Carmax writing you a check to take your Ram.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless you can get a steal via private sale, I'd just get a low cost reliable solution like Thed said above. Your margin of loss on reselling a $3000 vehicle will be much smaller than a high dollar, newer vehicle. Equity and cars are two terms that never go together.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A 2/9 reservation, like as in a few weeks ago?? Who knows when you get that Bronco. May not be until 2023. I would give back your lease in October and get into a new 24 month lease and have the dealer buy you out of that next lease when the Bronco shows up....or...extend your current lease 6 mos, wait until you have more guidance on when your bronco will be built, then use swap-a-lease to find the right term to bridge the rest of the gap.

FYI, some dealers offer 12 mo extensions. In any regard they are typically M-T-M, and they give you the same monthly mileage allocation. Although technically you are overpaying some, because your car is in a flatter depreciation curve compared to the initial lease term.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Honestly, you could almost Uber anywhere you need to go for a month and possibly come in less than a single month car payment in many cases. Or just rent one for a couple of months. As mentioned, work with your dealer to work something out, they may have something for you.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
....to add to the above, if you do go for a new 24 month lease, make sure you roll EVERYTHING into the monthly including tax, since youll be bought out before the end of the term.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As somebody in the same boat with a lease ending before Bronco shows up (September 2021 for me, but i'm at ~15K miles out of 36K, thanks Covid!), i'm also in that camp of debating a lease extension.

I haven't talked to Mazda yet about extension, but there is a lot of wiggle room for vehicles they know won't sell too quickly (aka: any lease-trade-in Mazda), not sure on your truck. Negotiating mileage is always a possibility for you and you can pre-purchase some additional mileage if you extend the lease for a specific period of time (I would suggest 3 or 6 months). That *might* get you under your ending mileage if you keep an eye on the odometer. Another alternative is to simply purchase the vehicle with the money factor baked into the lease (which avoids all mileage overages) then private-party sale the vehicle once Bronco shows up. Your money factor and residual will highly impact weather or not that is a viable strategy.

Ultimately I decided on buying an obscure JDM Kei car to drive for a while until Bronco arrives. I can import the vehicle and have it running for about the same price as i'll sell it for in 6-12 months. Completely impractical and I wouldn't want to own it long term, so it's a perfectly fun and zany short term plan!

Feel free to think outside the box, especially as used vehicle prices are going crazy right now.

imnewtothis

Badlands
First Name
Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With a 2/9/21 reservation there is a really good chance youā€™ll get a MY22....closer to December 2022 and nowhere nearly December 2021.

I have a 8/7/20 reservation and I think Iā€™ll probably get my Bronco Spring of 2022.

Seeing as though your lease ends in October 21...I wouldnā€™t plan on going month to month or paying any extra mile penalties with the assumption that youā€™re getting the Bronco in December 2021.

Hopefully by May of this year weā€™ll all have an estimate of when weā€™ll receive our Broncos.

That should give you a much better idea of what your ā€œbridge-to-Broncoā€ plan should be. And well before your October lease-end deadline.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What's the lease buy-out? Used market is pretty high on Trucks right now, you may be able to buy the truck for under market and avoid some depreciation? I am on an extended F150 lease and the residual is tracking at just about market and I am good on miles, so decided to extend until June and ride my motorcycle until the Bronco comes in (I am a day 1, reservation 1, at my dealer, but who knows when I will actually get mine).

38Special

Black Diamond
First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A 2/9 reservation, like as in a few weeks ago?? Who knows when you get that Bronco. May not be until 2023. I would give back your lease in October and get into a new 24 month lease and have the dealer buy you out of that next lease when the Bronco shows up....or...extend your current lease 6 mos, wait until you have more guidance on when your bronco will be built, then use swap-a-lease to find the right term to bridge the rest of the gap.

FYI, some dealers offer 12 mo extensions. In any regard they are typically M-T-M, and they give you the same monthly mileage allocation. Although technically you are overpaying some, because your car is in a flatter depreciation curve compared to the initial lease term.

How many Orders does Ford expect by end of March ? The Mustang debuted in April of 1964 and by the end of the ā€˜65 model year Ford had produced and delivered 700,000 Mustangs. Arenā€™t we talking about a whole less number of vehicles than that ? Why are do we have to look so far out ? Has auto industry been so diminished since then?

OP
OP

Telliott0033

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for the late response guys I got tied up with some family things and havent been back to the forums. But appreciate everyoneā€™s ideas I have some good ideas on what to do now. Iā€™m gonna wait to see what info Ford comes out with over the next couple months on what production is going to look like to better gauge my game plan. Appreciate it!
Sponsored