Road Armor Stealth Rear Bumper Review

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 WildTrak; '06 Whippl'd Mustang (sold4upgrades)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I still havent decided between the two… Leaning toward the AR since it’s a little simpler design. The LOD has a lot of capability, which I really don’t think I need,. It needs lots of adjustments during install since you can unlatch from the gate…so lots that could loosen and need to maintain. I also prefer the looks of the RA better and smaller light openings as the bigger openings makes the LOD look too busy. LOD did say their light mounts had a little adjustability…

A few lingering concerns for RA is no QD for the lp/camera/brake light relocate to spare as their CS said it reuses the factory connectors… I don’t see that holding up to disconnects/reconnects. They are supposed to be updating the install guide as they left out several pics/instructions on this part of the install. RA CS said the spare mount is their only option with the setup… So I’ve been looking at how I can remount my lp to the gate, which I like the LOBO lp relocate, and I think I can reuse the factory camera mount with some ingenuity, and I’m sure I can figure out something for the 3rd brake light or use their rotopak mount And put on top…

Also, how high the tire sits. From the pics/vids I’ve seen on the demo Bronco, the tire mount was installed on the lowest settings and the bottom of the tire is at the top of the bumper vs sitting down in the notched tire area of the bumper…

So kinda waiting until @broncorik gets his installed for more details.
Sponsored

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still havent decided between the two… Leaning toward the AR since it’s a little simpler design. The LOD has a lot of capability, which I really don’t think I need,. It needs lots of adjustments during install since you can unlatch from the gate…so lots that could loosen and need to maintain. I also prefer the looks of the RA better and smaller light openings as the bigger openings makes the LOD look too busy. LOD did say their light mounts had a little adjustability…

A few lingering concerns for RA is no QD for the lp/camera/brake light relocate to spare as their CS said it reuses the factory connectors… I don’t see that holding up to disconnects/reconnects. They are supposed to be updating the install guide as they left out several pics/instructions on this part of the install. RA CS said the spare mount is their only option with the setup… So I’ve been looking at how I can remount my lp to the gate, which I like the LOBO lp relocate, and I think I can reuse the factory camera mount with some ingenuity, and I’m sure I can figure out something for the 3rd brake light or use their rotopak mount And put on top…

Also, how high the tire sits. From the pics/vids I’ve seen on the demo Bronco, the tire mount was installed on the lowest settings and the bottom of the tire is at the top of the bumper vs sitting down in the notched tire area of the bumper…

So kinda waiting until @broncorik gets his installed for more details.
For some reason I think most of the bumper manufacturers missed the boat when it comes to the swing out...because even with the road armor that I'm going with, the tire sits out far enough from the bumper that whether the indent was there or not makes no difference. I would prefer the tire down as far as it can possibly go because I'd like to not lose visibility from the rear window, however. I imagine that the reason the bumper manufacturers have the tire pushed out so far is because some people will go with 33 some people will go with 37s or 40s and so if they were going to make the indent fit everybody's needs it would be huge. What I did for my wiring was run it from the passenger side panel through the same harness that the wiring for the camera goes to then I branched it off and then I added quick connectors with rubber seals and used shrink tubing on those so I can disconnect the license plate assembly from my spare on my current setup from Hammer Built...and because I already have that wiring run there, it'll be super easy for me to include the third brake wire as well and then I'll just get a three-way connector with rubber seals. When I called Road Armor they claimed that in the photographs that the tire was not on its lowest setting, and if that is the case that will be a pleasant surprise. When I check the diagrams for the assembly it appears as though I wouldn't be able to add another setting lower than what's already there and less I did some modifications. Even so, with the tire sitting a little bit higher than I'd like, it still seems the other bells and whistles that the road armor has makes it worth it for me. I believe mine is supposed to ship the first week in March. To me, the most important factor is the way that the spindle mounts to the bumper assembly... And because the way the spindle for the road armor amounts to the frame of the Bronco I believe that would be best for longevity especially with the weight of the swing out in the tire combined. Even if the other bumper was better in every other way, it wouldn't matter if several months down the road that the assembly ended up breaking...

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For some reason I think most of the bumper manufacturers missed the boat when it comes to the swing out...because even with the road armor that I'm going with, the tire sits out far enough from the bumper that whether the indent was there or not makes no difference. I would prefer the tire down as far as it can possibly go because I'd like to not lose visibility from the rear window, however. I imagine that the reason the bumper manufacturers have the tire pushed out so far is because some people will go with 33 some people will go with 37s or 40s and so if they were going to make the indent fit everybody's needs it would be huge. What I did for my wiring was run it from the passenger side panel through the same harness that the wiring for the camera goes to then I branched it off and then I added quick connectors with rubber seals and used shrink tubing on those so I can disconnect the license plate assembly from my spare on my current setup from Hammer Built...and because I already have that wiring run there, it'll be super easy for me to include the third brake wire as well and then I'll just get a three-way connector with rubber seals. When I called Road Armor they claimed that in the photographs that the tire was not on its lowest setting, and if that is the case that will be a pleasant surprise. When I check the diagrams for the assembly it appears as though I wouldn't be able to add another setting lower than what's already there and less I did some modifications. Even so, with the tire sitting a little bit higher than I'd like, it still seems the other bells and whistles that the road armor has makes it worth it for me. I believe mine is supposed to ship the first week in March. To me, the most important factor is the way that the spindle mounts to the bumper assembly... And because the way the spindle for the road armor amounts to the frame of the Bronco I believe that would be best for longevity especially with the weight of the swing out in the tire combined. Even if the other bumper was better in every other way, it wouldn't matter if several months down the road that the assembly ended up breaking...
Thanks for the info/tip. Yeah I agree with what your saying on designing it to be more versatile. LOD does seem to sit lower in the notch from the pics, but there are some unknown variables for sure. Good to know CS said the RA wasn’t on the lowest setting Though. Yeah, agree it didn’t look like you could easily mod in a lower setting on the RA.

I also did some research on the Jeep forums for the LOD Destroyer, same design. I saw some issues with the powder coating/rusting, adjustment/noise issues, and sensor issues. However, they didn’t appear to be widespread, but their sensor issues they basically said you have to play with/ rotate them little by little and hopefully they’ll work… Noise issues could be adjusted out for the most part. I don’t know how many, if any of these issues would translate to the Bronco setup.

I can’t find hardly anything on the RA stealth setup for Jeep. So I’m leaning toward that being good thing since most people only post up negative things..

Last edited:

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup! Got it on yesterday actually.
78F92DEA-30A3-4ECD-A874-6FB6E36645ED.jpeg
I called Baja Designs and the guy I spoke with said the mounting bracket doesn't fit aftermarket lugs and confirmed with someone else there as well. I am running Method wheels so I suppose I'm hoping I can order the bracket kit and then drill out the plate to fit my lugs but I assume Baja Designs includes some sort of lug extension to mount the plate. Can you let me know how you approached yours running aftermarket wheels and lugs. Thanks so much.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called Baja Designs and the guy I spoke with said the mounting bracket doesn't fit aftermarket lugs and confirmed with someone else there as well. I am running Method wheels so I suppose I'm hoping I can order the bracket kit and then drill out the plate to fit my lugs but I assume Baja Designs includes some sort of lug extension to mount the plate. Can you let me know how you approached yours running aftermarket wheels and lugs. Thanks so much.
Do you need lights on yours or do you just want to run the plate only?

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you need lights on yours or do you just want to run the plate only?
When I was running the Baja designs set up without the lights Baja design sent me the lugs that I needed...they are just M12 * 1.5 to fit the Bronco studs, and they are drilled and tapped all the way through and the Baja design plate is meant to sit on top of them and then another bolt goes in from the outside into the threads. They sold me just the bracket and the other accessories I needed without the lights, but then I went to a reaper plate that is made for just the license plate and the license plate light and no pods.

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info. I can go either way I have some Baja Designs S1s I could add to the plate but was going to throw them in my roof rack. My biggest concern was the lugs they offer working. Based on I'm still using the Bronco spare studs with my Method Wheels and the Method lugs are 12x1.5 lugs I assume the lugs they send in the kit would work fine even though they said they wouldn't. I'm guessing the rep didn't understand what I was asking. Appreciate your info. How is the Reaper plate working out?

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my opinion the reaper plate worked out better for me, because it was much lighter... and it didn't have tabs for lights, which I didn't need. The downside is that the reaper plate is made for Jeeps...so I had to drill two holes that were spaced for Bronco bolt patterns. The reaper design also has a cool feature with a little plate that unbolts from the rear and you can put whatever color on that plate you want that shows through where the Reaper logo is cut out. The Baja Designs plate is definitely overbuilt, intentionally I imagine for supporting a couple of pod lights bouncing around. I can't imagine what they mean by lug nuts not working unless what the referring to is that you have to have their lug nuts or some other form of lug nut that's drilled all the way through that matches your particular thread pitch and has a flat spot for the back of the plate to sit on...if they don't send them to you you can buy them all day long somewhere else. For my particular needs I just went with an entirely different direction but that's another story...if you PM me I can share.

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my opinion the reaper plate worked out better for me, because it was much lighter... and it didn't have tabs for lights, which I didn't need. The downside is that the reaper plate is made for Jeeps...so I had to drill two holes that were spaced for Bronco bolt patterns. The reaper design also has a cool feature with a little plate that unbolts from the rear and you can put whatever color on that plate you want that shows through where the Reaper logo is cut out. The Baja Designs plate is definitely overbuilt, intentionally I imagine for supporting a couple of pod lights bouncing around. I can't imagine what they mean by lug nuts not working unless what the referring to is that you have to have their lug nuts or some other form of lug nut that's drilled all the way through that matches your particular thread pitch and has a flat spot for the back of the plate to sit on...if they don't send them to you you can buy them all day long somewhere else. For my particular needs I just went with an entirely different direction but that's another story...if you PM me I can share.
Thanks for all the info! I ordered the Baja Kit and will mount my S1s on there instead of my roof rack.

Sponsored

Chritaka

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@broncorik Happen to get that RA tire carrier in yet? Curious if it was on track per the lead time and how it's working out. Would appreciate any new pics on the setup! Thanks.

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got it...and I have a lot of observations. Overall, I like it...but the adjustments I felt it needed were:

1. A slightly longer adjustment rod (I found one online for 10 bucks). The supplied one works but it is a little too short for my taste because only a couple of threads on each side are engaged.

2. I needed to buy some lock washers... It came with just about all the hardware except for the lock washers on certain areas.

3. I needed to buy a slightly larger piece of delrin that is used as the bumper that the tire carrier rests against when it's closed. As it was, when the tailgate was parallel to the carrier there was a slight gap that could have been adjusted at full travel but I would feel better with a slightly larger block of delrin which I found on eBay for about 5 bucks.

4. The main thing that I wasn't a huge fan of was the fact that like many other tire carriers the tire sits higher than I would like (and it comes with the wrong lug nut threads size for the Bronco lugs). That may not be a deal breaker for many people, but I prefer to keep the tire as low as possible without impacting departure angle. As is, even at the lowest adjustment, the tire is a little too high for me...so I am nearing completion of a different bracket that allows me to locate my tire almost 4" lower. While on the topic of the actual bracket for the spare tire, it's important to note that the maximum extension of the road armor swing out carrier tire to carrier bracket is about 5.75" . The problem with that is that a Bronco SAS wheel combination needs about 7.25" of length from the outermost bulge of the tire to the flat section of the back of the wheel. While measuring before I was going to throw the tire in place that was a huge buzzkill...but then I quickly snagged a 2-in wheel spacer from eBay, and that solved that problem (and the lug nut different thread issue). I think the carrier may have been designed for the Jeep crowd that likes to have a crazy amount of poke and giant tires...but if you're running factory backspacing which is right around 30 mm on a 35-in tire, and you go with this carrier, you'll need a wheel spacer (now I have two so if anybody wants to pick one up in the Ventura area let me know). The good news is that the bracket I'm in the middle of making will solve not only the issue of lowering the tire but also providing the exact amount of length I need for my backspacing. The other thing to mention is that I decided to reroute my wiring in a slightly different manner than was shown in the (limited) instructions. Instead of running the camera wire through the factory grommet, I pulled all the wires through that grommet and then ran my license plate light from the right side cargo panel location and tied that in with the existing third brake light wire. The company also provided what I thought was kind of a odd looking metal shield in which you're supposed to use your factory third brake light, but I didn't like the way that that mounted. I instead sawed off the upper third of the license plate relocation bracket, where that shield was supposed to mount, and then I purchased a combination third brake light license plate light from a company called Maxbilt. It uses the existing license plate bolts on the top of the plate and it's a simple and clean install.

There were definitely some additional steps needed to make it work to my liking, but overall I think the build quality and the strength of the unit outweighs the adjustments I had to make. The big pro for me is that it's articulated with the tailgate, so that when you swing the tailgate open you don't have extra latches to fumble with. The primary reason I got it is because I already had the bumper, and it just took drilling a 2 and 9/16" hole In my existing bumper... Something somebody won't have to do if they buy the bumper and carrier combination. In retrospect it would have been easier to buy something like the JCR setup, but the downside of that is that the tire sits high on the passenger side and there are two sets of latches to deal with. I also like the way that the road armor bumper flows with the body lines...more so than most of the other options out there. The additional pro of this setup is that the spindle for the swing out mounts very securely to the frame rail itself instead of on the bumper only like some units do. I'll post more pics when it's all together, but for now here are a couple of shots. The second pick is the bracket I'm making, and note that the lower round holes on the carrier were ones that I had made testing to figure out if an inch and a quarter lower with the factory bracket was going to do it (for me, it didn't):

20230317_171321.jpg
20230317_171041.jpg
20230317_171031.jpg
20230317_171011.jpg
20230317_171005.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got it...and I have a lot of observations. Overall, I like it...but the adjustments I felt it needed were:

1. A slightly longer adjustment rod (I found one online for 10 bucks). The supplied one works but it is a little too short for my taste because only a couple of threads on each side are engaged.

2. I needed to buy some lock washers... It came with just about all the hardware except for the lock washers on certain areas.

3. I needed to buy a slightly larger piece of delrin that is used as the bumper that the tire carrier rests against when it's closed. As it was, when the tailgate was parallel to the carrier there was a slight gap that could have been adjusted at full travel but I would feel better with a slightly larger block of delrin which I found on eBay for about 5 bucks.

4. The main thing that I wasn't a huge fan of was the fact that like many other tire carriers the tire sits higher than I would like. That may not be a deal breaker for many people, but I prefer to keep the tire as low as possible without impacting departure angle. As is, even at the lowest adjustment, the tire is a little too high for me...so I am nearing completion of another bracket that allows me to locate my tire almost 5" lower. While on the topic of the actual bracket for the spare tire, it's important to note that the maximum extension of the road armor swing out carrier is about 5.75" . The problem with that, is that a Bronco SAS wheel combination needs about 7 in of length from the outermost bulge of the tire to the flat section of the back of the wheel. While measuring before I was going to throw the tire in place that was a buzzkill...but then I quickly snagged a 2-in wheel spacer from eBay, and that solved that problem. I think the carrier may have been designed for the Jeep crowd that likes to have a crazy amount of poke and giant tires...but if you're running factory backspacing which is right around 30 mm on a 35-in tire, and you go with this carrier, you'll need a wheel spacer. Now I have two so if anybody wants to pick one up and the Ventura area let me know. The good news is that the bracket I'm in the middle of making will solve not only the issue of lowering the tire but also providing the exact amount of length I need for my backspacing. Some in progress pics below. The other thing to mention is that although they didn't show it in the limited instructions that were provided, I decided to reroute my wiring in a slightly different manner. Instead of running the camera wire through the factory grommet, I pulled all the wires through that grommet and then ran my license plate light from the right side cargo panel location and tied that in with the existing third brake light wire. The company also provided what I thought was kind of a odd looking metal shield in which you're supposed to use your factory third brake light, but I didn't like the way that that mounted. I instead sawed off the upper third of the license plate relocation bracket, where that shield was supposed to mount, and then I purchased a combination third brake light license plate light from a company called Maxbilt. It uses the existing license plate bolts on the top of the plate and it's a simple and clean install.

There were definitely some additional steps needed to make it work to my liking, but overall I think the build quality and the strength of the unit outweighs the adjustments I had to make. The big pro for me is that it's articulated with the tailgate, so that when you swing the tailgate open you don't have extra latches to fumble with. The primary reason I got it is because I already had the bumper, and it just took drilling a 2 and 9/16" hole In my existing bumper... Something somebody won't have to do if they buy the bumper and carrier combination. In retrospect it would have been easier to buy something like the JCR setup, but the downside of that is that the tire sits high on the passenger side and there are two sets of latches to deal with. I also like the way that the road armor bumper flows with the body lines...more so than most of the other options out there. The additional pro of this setup is that the spindle for the swing out mounts very securely to the frame rail itself instead of on the bumper only like some units do. I'll post more pics when it's all together, but for now here are a couple of shots. The second pick is the bracket I'm making, and note that the lower round holes on the carrier were ones that I had made testing to figure out if an inch and a quarter lower with the factory bracket was going to do it (for me, it didn't):

20230317_171321.jpg
20230317_171041.jpg
20230317_171031.jpg
20230317_171011.jpg
20230317_171005.jpg
Bracket in progress...

20230317_172252.jpg

I will get the 8 inch 1/4" A36 circle Monday and add the lug bolts then it will be welded on and then powdercoated (and yes it is overbuilt...I am a little OCD).

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The finished product...with the (modified) Rotopax carrier:

20230326_163530.jpg
20230326_163522.jpg
20230326_163548.jpg
20230326_163535.jpg

Blksunshine06

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 FX4 Screw 3.5 , 2000 TJ 4 cyl. 5 speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you very much for the input given in this thread! I ordered a RA bumper with tire carrier and can't wait to get it!
Sponsored