Sponsored

Road Trippin' It - For the First and Last Time?

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The write-up made it sound that you were selling off the Bronco to have more room for kids on trips? Is that not the case?

My reply back was to get a big rental for the trips unless the Bronco doesn't meet the in town needs too, in that case get whatever the hell you want, was just trying to help.
It is not just trips, trips are the worst but so are just having the family in one car even just going to life stuff like basketball practice or school and stuff.

If this one trip is a major deciding factor, then a rental, maybe a camper or RV, could be the solution (finances permitting). It would encourage you to get off the interstate and see more, and camp out more (weather and family agreeing). But no way do you want to squeeze three kids into a Bronco back seat for that mileage. Remember: these are their childhood memories, and you want to give them good ones. Life is full of compromises and difficult choices.

Consider the Daniel Boone Historic Byway in Kentucky. Much of it, I understand, is sedan-friendly, and an Expedition with good rubber should handle it. I don't know the road, but if you started at the west end, and drove east, you might access the easier parts, and then leave it as you got into the trickier Appalachian Mountain sections. But do your research: This, from an off-road website:
The Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (DBBB) is a high clearance 4wd route comprised of improved and unimproved county and public roads over 100 miles long centered around the scenic Red River Gorge and Daniel Boone National Forest in eastern Kentucky.
The DBBB is of moderate difficulty and open to licensed vehicles only. It is designed for entry level off-roading and providing a safe and rewarding driving experience.

Incidentally, it was an Expedition which hauled my Badlands Sas out of mud at Wilson Hot Springs, just off the Pony Express Historic Byway in Utah.
I'm not sure what an RV has to do with it? I just sold mine, I liked it but it was like having to take care of both a house and a car all wrapped into one. lol

Thanks for the trip advice!

If you want to stay on theme with launches, there is always Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. Not sure how that fits your trip because you would be hitting bottom south of the US and then would either be zigging back and forth around or just following the gulf coast to your destination in Florida.
If you want to change things up to an Amusement Park crawl, you could hit up Six Flags outside of Dallas, TX then make your way to Fiesta TX and Sea World in San Antonio on your way to Houston. If you like waterparks, stop at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, TX on the way to San Antonio (I think it still holds the title for largest water park but not sure). Feel free to stop at the "Big Texan" in Amarillo if you want to try the 72oz steak challenge or just to experience what I believe every non-Texan views of Texas. Make sure to gas up at one of the Buc-ees locations while in Texas as well.
Not a bad idea, I haven't been to Houston in a while and maybe I could head down to Starbase.
I just want to end up at a beach with palm trees.

I'm biased, but if you can swing it on your way down or back then driving or stopping along the beach road(s) in the Emerald Coast part of FL is a winner. you can't see the beach the whole drive but if you dive off the interstate to Panama City Beach or Destin or Pensacola Beach-Navarre Beach it's scenic and there are stops that should give you some good final Bronco moment photo ops. bonus if you can take the top off for it.

i'll also second the recommendation for driving/hiking in the Smokies, and making a stop at the Georgia Aquarium. There's a giant tank with a whale shark there and i could have stayed in that room for hours.

beach life photo tax:
image0 (1).jpeg

image4.jpeg
I dig, i dig. I might have to do that.

Prep Vet I was just in your neighborhood or back in mine depending on how you look at it lol. You could always stop in windrock ORV park I heard it has really nice trails. Sorry to hear about possibly getting rid of the Bronco
Ha, it is where I live now, for sure not where I am from.
Sponsored