Sponsored

Rock Crawling and External Cameras

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So those that have used them in harder core rock crawling. Do they really help.
Particularly interested in if you can guage depth of field, on large rocks (vs the ground)
and/or front tire placement without spotting.

Also, how often are the cameras covered up with "nature", as even the main trails where I go are
at best, muddy water hole after muddy water hole for miles sometimes.
Sponsored

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of your concerns are valid, and true. I still find them helpful, and would certainly order them again, but you do lose that depth of vision, and every so often you might need to give them a wipe (although the front camera does get rinsed when you rinse/wipe the windshield)

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have often turned my camera on to see my spotter better, like cresting a hill and the hood would block the spotter.

I also use them for lining up my tires to obstacles to make sure I'm good etc. Yeah, I use my cameras a lot.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As pointed out, the front camera is great for cresting a hill. The front wheel split view is also helpful to see exactly where your wheels are on rocks and other obstacles. As far as the cameras getting dirty and covered with mud, I don't have that problem as I hate mud and avoid it when possible.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're taking a risk replacing spotters with cameras on a rock crawler trail. I have them, use them, but don't rely on them.

They do flatten the terrain. I was two trucks behind a Braptor that flipped onto it's top because the driver was using the camera and couldn't see that the terrain wasn't flat. That wasn't even rock crawling, that was cresting a hill.

They are nice to have, but they work best backing into parking spots. On the trail, they provide additional information to augment what you can see with your eyes, inspect with your feet, and understand your spotter a little better. They don't replace any of them without increasing risk.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the replies. I actually tried the camera thing with a cheap backup camera (pointed forward) 15 or so years ago. And it flattened everything out to be almost useless, even on bigger rocks.

But some of the more recent views I've seen almost look like they are impossible to get, like taken from some imaginary spot in space, that the camera is not really at. So figured I'd ask about the latest and greatest setups.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TBH, originally I didn't think the cameras added much value but after using them in multiple situations (not just wheeling) I now see and appreciate the value. With that being said, I don't solely rely on them.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It reduces, but does not eliminate the need for a spotter in the rocks. I find it most useful when the view out the windshield is just hood and sky.

As others have said, it flattens things out, so only useful if you get a good look at what your going over before hand. The 'tire' view is great for placing your tires especially the passenger one as it's too hard to stick your head out that window and look (unless you're a giraffe!)
Sponsored