Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious - Where did you find amperage specs for the aux switches?
I don’t think the Bronco switch details have been released, but it is likely to be the same as the Gen 2 Raptors and current Super Duty trucks.
Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious - Where did you find amperage specs for the aux switches?
I'd have to look for where I saw it, but I believe they are the same as the Raptor. 2x 15A, 2x 10A, 2x 5A

Husker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How would the Ford Off-Road Underbody Lighting Kit hold-up in states that use deicers and snowmelt on their roads?

Are the lights really that useful or more for showing off?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for this. I'd been thinking of getting the Rigid Rock Lights as part of my build, but looking at this I may just get the KC's and do it myself.

I have zero experience with this, but I'm check out some videos on aftermarket lighting with Jeeps and Raptors. Am I correct that one of the 5A Aux switches should be able to handle the Cyclone 6-Light Kit? (Trying to reserve the higher amp switches for other things.)
I've wired up lights on several Jeeps. Once you do a set or two you'll know how easy it really is. The biggest thing is making sure you run the wire out of the way and not too close to things like the exhaust or moving parts like driveshafts. Also, zip ties are your friend. They help keep things neat and organized.

As far as lights, I always run them through a relay. Even when they're LED. In part because I use inexpensive aftermarket switches and the quality may not always be as good as it could be. But also because then I only have to run at most a couple of amps through several switches inside the cabin. So I can get away with running small wires (16-18 gauge) through the firewall. All of those wires run to a bank of relays I put under the hood. I have a bulk wire with a big fuse at the battery run over to the relays. It connects to a small fuse block with one fuse per relay, sized according to what's hooked up to it.

I don't know about the Ford built in switches. It may be that those switches control a pod with relays for the same reason. If so, then the 5A switch is more than enough for several LED lights.

Edit: I'm actively looking at rock lights for my other Jeep build so I looked up the KC lights. They draw 0.42A each. 6 of them would draw 2.52A total. So the 5A switch is enough to handle them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How would the Ford Off-Road Underbody Lighting Kit hold-up in states that use deicers and snowmelt on their roads?

Are the lights really that useful or more for showing off?
Ford uses Rigid lights for their kit and they have a powder coated aluminum housing. Yes, aluminum can corrode, but it isn't the same as rusting steel and shouldn't be an issue for the functionality of the lights. However, if you drill into sheet metal (I am unsure if Bronco floor pans are steel or aluminum) or any other steel parts, make sure that you shoot them with some paint to prevent corrosion. This would be where you run into a real problem with the salt or deicer and some people even seal the holes they drill with silicone to be extra safe.

As far as usefulness goes, it will all depend on what you want to do with your Bronco. Check local laws, but I believe underglow/rock lights are not legal in most states for highway use. If it is legal, certain colors, like red or blue, are usually not. I think rock lights would be great if you're on the trail at night and need to see where your tires are, or perhaps need to change a flat or do a quick trail repair. Of course you can use a headlamp for some of this and you don't HAVE to use these, but they do serve a purpose. Some people even use them to help setup camp or link them to their factory puddle lights.

Sponsored

Husker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford uses Rigid lights for their kit and they have a powder coated aluminum housing. Yes, aluminum can corrode, but it isn't the same as rusting steel and shouldn't be an issue for the functionality of the lights. However, if you drill into sheet metal (I am unsure if Bronco floor pans are steel or aluminum) or any other steel parts, make sure that you shoot them with some paint to prevent corrosion. This would be where you run into a real problem with the salt or deicer and some people even seal the holes they drill with silicone to be extra safe.

As far as usefulness goes, it will all depend on what you want to do with your Bronco. Check local laws, but I believe underglow/rock lights are not legal in most states for highway use. If it is legal, certain colors, like red or blue, are usually not. I think rock lights would be great if you're on the trail at night and need to see where your tires are, or perhaps need to change a flat or do a quick trail repair. Of course you can use a headlamp for some of this and you don't HAVE to use these, but they do serve a purpose. Some people even use them to help setup camp or link them to their factory puddle lights.
thanks for the insight. I think I’ll go ahead and order them even if I don’t plan on using them all that much but I bet I can impress my grandkids with them when I visit them up in Colorado… LOL! I think I’ll try the amber version!

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've wired up lights on several Jeeps. Once you do a set or two you'll know how easy it really is. The biggest thing is making sure you run the wire out of the way and not too close to things like the exhaust or moving parts like driveshafts. Also, zip ties are your friend. They help keep things neat and organized.

As far as lights, I always run them through a relay. Even when they're LED. In part because I use inexpensive aftermarket switches and the quality may not always be as good as it could be. But also because then I only have to run at most a couple of amps through several switches inside the cabin. So I can get away with running small wires (16-18 gauge) through the firewall. All of those wires run to a bank of relays I put under the hood. I have a bulk wire with a big fuse at the battery run over to the relays. It connects to a small fuse block with one fuse per relay, sized according to what's hooked up to it.

I don't know about the Ford built in switches. It may be that those switches control a pod with relays for the same reason. If so, then the 5A switch is more than enough for several LED lights.

Edit: I'm actively looking at rock lights for my other Jeep build so I looked up the KC lights. They draw 0.42A each. 6 of them would draw 2.52A total. So the 5A switch is enough to handle them.
On another thread someone posted the wiring diagrams for the Bronco aux switches and their load ratings. The switches control relays like you describe. So unless you're hooking up something that's too close to the rating of the existing relays/fuses, you shouldn't need to add your own relay.

I'm also liking that the KC HiLites connect to their own fuse box. That way if one gets damaged and shorts, you shouldn't lose your other rock lights.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to get some cheap ones off Ebay and see how they do. I can get 50 or 100 sets of those lights for the same price as one set of the big brands. I'll just put a KC sticker on the side of the rig and no one will know the difference. :unsure:

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to get some cheap ones off Ebay and see how they do. I can get 50 or 100 sets of those lights for the same price as one set of the big brands. I'll just put a KC sticker on the side of the rig and no one will know the difference. :unsure:
That always works! It was what I probably would have done with my Jeep, but never got around to it. With the Bronco, I am taking the approach of, “buy once, cry once.” I am going to buy the best I can reasonably afford for each mod and am willing to wait and save for the more costly ones. I don’t think the KC’s are too badly priced compared to the other big name competition.

I also do not enjoy redoing projects to replace faulty or cheap parts. I do see the benefit of going the Amazon route, though. If you’re wiring is solid, it is the most difficult part. After that’s down, you can just swap new lights in whenever they stop working without much work, and if they’re in a spot they could get crushed by a rock or debris, it’s no big deal.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That always works! It was what I probably would have done with my Jeep, but never got around to it. With the Bronco, I am taking the approach of, “buy once, cry once.” I am going to buy the best I can reasonably afford for each mod and am willing to wait and save for the more costly ones. I don’t think the KC’s are too badly priced compared to the other big name competition.

I also do not enjoy redoing projects to replace faulty or cheap parts. I do see the benefit of going the Amazon route, though. If you’re wiring is solid, it is the most difficult part. After that’s down, you can just swap new lights in whenever they stop working without much work, and if they’re in a spot they could get crushed by a rock or debris, it’s no big deal.
I can even put waterproof plugs down by the lights if I want to make them even more swappable if I find them failing more than once.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking KC or Rigid.
I have the KC on my Jeep now and they’re amazing. Super easy to install and throw a great amount of light.

Highly recommend. This is after they were covered in mud. Still enough light to help me find the valve stems to air my tires up after the sun completely set.

Ford Bronco Rock Light Comparison 1677093101865
Sponsored