First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is there any reason why a downward firing sub mounted to the top rear corner of the roll structure wouldn't work, or would be a bad idea? You could fit a larger enclosure than the factory location and it wouldn't really take up cargo volume. I've already deleted the rear seat in that area, so that wouldn't be an issue.

It seems like a weird enough placement, I couldn't really find anything about the acoustics of a setup like this. I've seen downfiring subs on the floor and the rare setup mounted about halfway up, but nothing up this high.

I was thinking I could attach a steel plate to the top of the rail and hang the sub from it here while keeping everything pretty rigid.
Ford Bronco Roll Bar Mounted Subwoofer? sub picture
Sponsored

Offroadalliance

Base
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
downfiring subs usually require the floor or structure its firing against to create some of the pattern and sound its making. A standard or pancake sub mounted to a cage structure on the roll bar would work, but I think for that effect youd be almost better off buying essentially a UTV or marine application, roll bar mounted, sub/speaker combo.

https://www.klipsch.com/blog/down-firing-vs-front-firing-subwoofer-comparison-guide

OP
OP

Machinations

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yea, it looks like I would want to avoid anything designed as a normal "downfiring" speaker.

Looking at the marine stuff, these tubular style enclosures are an interesting option, and the mirrored side firing maybe mitigate any odd effect of firing down into the vehicle? The 8" version could even fit behind the roll bar of the 2dr.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646TB102/Kicker-46CWTB102.html?tp=96475

Could also use some traditional "front firing" car sub boxes. My gut says the angled ones facing forward would be slightly better, something like this.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136110TGW3/JL-Audio-CS110TG-TW3.html?tp=112

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Watch this video on sub direction:

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I came across the following and thought it may work for that.

Bazooka makes marine market subs. Also, Kicker makes a couple compact subs that are sealed against water.

In addition to bolts, I would strap the sub to the roll bar.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Using a Bazooka tube as an enclosure for a better sub only makes sense if you are repurposing a used one.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP

Machinations

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like the idea of testing the sub at different locations and orientations. With the amount of time/money I'll be dropping into this, a bit more for a mic and optimization makes sense.

I just put in an order for a molle panel that will mount to the top of the roll bars that'll give me plenty of space for experimentation with the sub.
Sponsored