Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Bronco is being built. I forgot to order roof rails and a locking rear diff. So, can an OEM rail be added (by me or the dealer) after the build and can the open diff be wired to be a locker?
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Roof rails are for sale on the accessories site, I believe they are around $800 and don't know how available they are.

The rear differential is different, you can't just wire it because there is no locker in the rear end. Ford performance sells a complete rear axle with locker for about $2000 and once installed you would have to figure out how to wire it up. It's possible this could be done using the factory wiring (if it is already there), then you would have to add the switch and figure out how to configure the vehicle software to know it's there. It would probably be simpler to just run a wire with a switch to turn the locker on/off (would have to verify it's as simple as supplying 12 volts to the solenoid on the locker or if it is more complicated than that)

The cheaper/easier way would be just to add a limited slip carrier to the existing rear axle. You would need the differential (~$500) and a new ring and pinion because the existing ring gear is welded to the open carrier. Depending on who you get to install it, it could cost anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand to install it (I would head for the nearest door if anyone wanted to charge $1000 to install it). I think you could get one installed (parts and labor included for right around $1000)

Another option is an air locker but by the time you have that installed you will likely be close to or over $2000 in parts by the time you buy the compressor, differential, and ring gear.

I personally will most likely wait until a Bronco shows up in the junkyard and buy the rearend out of it.

OP
OP
the paws

the paws

Outer Banks
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for all the info. Maybe I ought to order a 2023 with those options. Darn.
Sponsored