Sponsored

Seek expert opinions on an idea for an order...Hopefully the feb date to open the banks is true!

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I apologize for the lengthy post...I have gone over the edge from enthusiast to scarily obsessive binge reader of this site in the last month or so. Even after all my searching and reading I still would like specific thoughts on a few things I can't make up my mind about. All this is in response to my dealer saying they do believe the Feb date for reopening the order banks is true....fingers crossed (oh and FWIW...I know I totally overthought all of this so go easy on me!!)

I am going Big Bend for the cloth and option to get at least mid package. Here the items I am stuck on....

#1 - 2 door or 4 door. yes, the worn out question asked 5 billion times here....I am thinking mostly I want a 2 door (cheaper and better mpg...maybe?), I had an FJ40 and a TJ so I got used to the space issues but I think a 2 dr bronco is way bigger than both those vehicles.... but...the 4 dr space would be cool ...

Space - the difference between like packaged 2 dr and 4 dr BB is around 2k so not that big a deal when all said and done. I understand the space limitations in the 2 dr. Kid is grown so its just me, my xtra toasty Cheez-Its and a fishing pole in the truck. Bronco will not be a daily driver, I have a CX5 for that. But the 4 dr has a lot more room. I am sure the 2 dr feels a lot more nimble, I know my TJ would turn on a dime with a nickles change. The 4 dr feels really nimble for being so long...its kind of like driving a sporty Sherman tank so that is totally fun too.​
1-for moderate dirt roads with some minor washouts and such, no mudding or tight bushwhacking or rock crawling....is a 4 door really out classed compared to a 2 dr? It seems like the places a 2 dr shines is not where I would ever be driving anyway, tight twisty crazy stuff. Anyone out there with a 4 door who regrets getting it based on the 4 dr not making the grade in some moderate off road situation, or even in general just wish for a 4 dr? I suppose city parking sucks in a 4dr but it does with my xtra cab toyota now but I deal with it.​
2-front door pillar location. I have read the location of the pillar in the 4 dr (shorter doors) makes the cockpit cramped. I have driven a 4dr several times and not until I read that did I even notice it! Now I try to notice it. To be honest....every time I get to drive one I forget to notice anything else but the steering wheel and the grin. I have never sat in a 2 dr to compare it though, maybe the difference is huge. I am 6'4" and normal proportions so maybe its no big deal between the 2? any thoughts?​
MPG - I don't drive fast or crazy, I go a bit above the speed limit but I don't have lead in my foot. With skinnier lighter tires (#3 below) on either a 2 or 4 dr, would there be that much difference between the 2 as far as MPG? I am not adding winches or mods that weigh a ton, it will stay Ford SAS stock for the most part. I have read where 4 doors get in the 20+MPG range...is that possible with the SAS package (minus the big tires)? It seems the 2dr gets up to 24 mpg with a stock setup but not sure about the SAS 2 dr. I don't hold much stock in the sticker MPGs. Yes, I know a bronco is a brick on wheels, I owned 2 similar bricks on wheels and one of them got a whopping 10 mpg so I get the reality of it all and am not expecting miracles!​
Soft Top - The ONE giant thing that has me really leaning towards the 4 dr is the soft top options on the 2 door. I want one to fold all the way back like a jeep, like a 4 door bronco...like a VW beetle....like every other damn rag top out there. I, for the life of me, can not understand why Ford decided not to mimic the wrangler in that respect, its the huge part of the whole "jeep life" draw. I am not a fan of the fast back style or the sun rider thing. I truly believe the 2 dr bronco will get the same love as a 2 dr wrangler when it comes to aftermarket parts...the volume will be in the 4 dr market so the Bestop that is out there now is probably all there will be. I am not sure I want to roll the dice on there being another brand soft top offered down the road. I have spent time in a 4 dr BD softie and it is such a breeze to put the top all the way back....the fiasco that is the rear hatch thing is a joke though (put in a damn zipper ford!) but at least you can fold it back.​
#2 - In all I have read, a SAS Big Bend is the exact same running gear as a SAS Black Diamond and If I add the same options between the 2 (auto trans, upfitter, Mid pkg, tow and mod bumper) I have basically the exact same trucks minus the MGV and washout floors of the BD...differen't grille too I suppose...but Is that correct in my thinking. BB and BD SAS with same options = only major difference is the MGV and floors on the BD, the seats and floors is where the extra cost for the BD comes in?

#3 - This one I am not clear on...it seems this will work but it seems it might not too, depending on what post I read. If I take a SAS Big Bend and swap wheels and tires for a set of BD steelies or BB wheels ( i really like the BB wheels!!) with tires something around a 35 x 10.50 or 11.50 pizza cutter...will they fit with out rubbing and without spacers? It seems like they would be close because of the difference in offset would be made up by the difference in width but tire size stuff always makes me scratch my head.

If the link below works, this is what I am thinking. 4 dr would be exact same build but with a soft top if I go that route. Torn between the Cactus Grey and Oxford White....I really like the green too, both shades of red are pretty sweet as well....uuugh....

https://shop.ford.com/configure/bro...1.|222A...PNE...765.66C.53Q.2DR.55G.BBD.44T.]

If you made it this far I appreciate that and any advice you may have!!
Sponsored