Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Mine just went black yesterday, 2 weeks into ownership. Got it in to the dealer this morning. They are acting like a day or two and it will be done, even with ordering the part. I think they are high, or not well informed. I will keep updating, as I get them myself.
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!
Who wants to play customer service telephone tag??? Tis the season!

TheeBullhead

First Edition
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Crossfire
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Climate controls still work from the buttons and knobs on the climate control unit, but you cannot access some functions that are only available on the screen (e.g., A/C floor vents to the back seats). But A/C (and presumably heater) from the front vents work well, despite the APIM being out.
Is there a way to change vents without access to the screen? Mine is on defrost and I’d really like to at least get some heat to my feet. Minnesota winters can get a little chilly!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a way to change vents without access to the screen? Mine is on defrost and I’d really like to at least get some heat to my feet. Minnesota winters can get a little chilly!
Not that I have been able to figure out, including referring to the owner’s manual. 🤷‍♂️

lilfergy

Wildtrak
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford C-Max energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well on Friday while I was driving my 12in screen went out. Still drives fine. Just no radio.
took it to the dealer today they first said come in we will look at it write Paperwork to get replacement parts orderedWell 3 hrs later dash all apart and it is 5pm?!?!
I got a loaner car for a day or however long this is going to take.
we shall see what the problem is.

Sponsored

JBrew

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3, 2021 Area 51 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got bit by the black screen last Friday. It went out once back in April, but came back after I had parked it for a couple of hours. This time, no such luck. Reset and battery disconnect didn't do anything. Fuses look good as far as I can tell.

I have an appointment for Friday, so we'll see what we see, but there's no way I'm leaving it at the dealership for more than a couple of days.

I want to thank everyone who updated this thread with good information so I have some suggestions to pass along to the techs when I get there.

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine was fixed about 8 days after taking it in, definitely the fastest I have seen on this forum, but also the newest. Seems like they have started have a backstock by the time mine had the issue. I would make sure your dealer immediately knows it an APIM module issue and will just request the new module be replaced.

My first dealer (one I bought it from), the tech was like, I don't know, need to get a Ford tech assigned to this, test, buy testing cable, etc. Took the entire dash apart, sat on it for 3.5 weeks doing nothing, other than waiting on a $21 amazon cable (literally what the Ford bulletin says to do) that would have been there in 2 days. They ordered Fords cable that is apparently on backorder and never got anything other than order received, so that's when I moved it to my very small dealer 5 minutes from my house and fixed start to finish in 8 days flat.

Good luck. Hopefully, you know of a great dealer with a great service department.

JBrew

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3, 2021 Area 51 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, mine ended up being a loose connector behind the dash. Once they re-seated the connector, everything came back. They went ahead and did several software updates while they had it. Mainly for the APIM 4L/Camera recall.

In the end, I was a week without SYNC and 6 hours in the shop. Didn't even have to re-pair my phone. Everything works and I even have a slick new UI.

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice, that's what the first dealer assumed it might be too.

I knew it wasn't. It came on for 30 seconds and then go black. That happened days apart and was black the whole time in between. Leaving for the first service appt, it came on (as my luck would have it), but then went black again. I sure it would have continuously came back on every now and then, but when it's only 2 weeks old with 500 miles on it, I'm not dealing with those problems.

Naiknomu

Wildtrak
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's frustrating when tech doesn't work how it's supposed to, especially when it's a new purchase. It's good that you got it into the dealer, and I hope they can resolve the issue quickly for you. On the topic of software testing, have you heard of Agile Software Testing? One benefit of Agile Testing is that it allows for more efficient and effective Testing, ultimately leading to higher-quality software. One tool that can aid in Agile Testing is ZAPTEST, which provides automated testing capabilities for various applications. Of course, Testing is just one piece of the software development puzzle, but it's an important one.
Sponsored

Last edited: