Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Funny how you pick and choose... My Bronco won't even do OTA updates and I hear crickets from you on the forum... I have called in 3 times with no explanation, no suitable answers, and short of chanting while swinging a chicken over my head have done everything possible to get the system to update... I can't wait until it fails and bricks my Bronco like this poor guy (how many months did he have to wait?!?).
Sponsored

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For what it’s worth for anyone in the future that has Non -CEL issues you could most likely diagnose yourself IF you have Forscan. It will read DTCs in all modules not just CEL. Outside of some cool programming it’s one of the best diagnostic tools this side of Ford IDIS. Sorry if anyone else posted this, I didn’t read through the entire thread.

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure if this is the right forum but I also got the black screen of death recently. Started intermittent at first. Then bricked completely. Waiting a month to get into dealership to have them look at it.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not sure if this is the right forum but I also got the black screen of death recently. Started intermittent at first. Then bricked completely. Waiting a month to get into dealership to have them look at it.
Waiting a month to have it looked at?

Sponsored

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Waiting a month to have it looked at?
Unfortunately, yes. My dealership says it's a very busy time of year with tire changes and such for winter 😂 Which I get..but still lol. I am an existing customer paying for a vehicle that's missing key features. You really notice the road noise in the Bronco with no music 😭

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unfortunately, yes. My dealership says it's a very busy time of year with tire changes and such for winter 😂 Which I get..but still lol. I am an existing customer paying for a vehicle that's missing key features. You really notice the road noise in the Bronco with no music 😭
Go to a different dealer. You’ll be waiting a few months for the APIM so it’s not that funny that your dealer is slow. It needs to be ordered.

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In a totally bizarre series of events, after nearly two months of not working, in the middle of a short drive to pick up dinner last night, the screen illuminated with the Bronco logo and worked as if nothing had ever been wrong - USBs functioning, presets and Bluetooth phone settings all still there - for the entire drive to the restaurant and home. In total disbelief, I shut the truck off and turned it back on a couple times, and it still worked.
The bad news (of course): By this morning the screen is black again, and no resets of the car will bring it back.
Just completely strange - I’m not sure I should be, but I’m very surprised that all our stored phones and radio settings were still there given the amount of disconnects and everything else performed on this. Not sure what this all means also - is it not a chip issue, if the screen can randomly fire up in the middle of a drive as if nothing was ever wrong?
I can pinpoint not a single thing that would have made the screen suddenly function again in the middle of a short drive, but maybe someone here has ideas. Thanks as always.
Exact same thing happened to me. Was intermittent at first. Then completely blacked out. Then one day after driving 20 minutes or so, screen fired up just like you said. Shut it off, got back in, still good. Drove it later that day, still good. Next day, black screen again and has been since lol

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go to a different dealer. You’ll be waiting a few months for the APIM so it’s not that funny that your dealer is slow. It needs to be ordered.
Thanks, I'm going to call one today to see if they can get me in faster. Did you have an APIM issue as well? I've never seen any updates from people on the forums other than the part has never come in :cry:

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here’s my update one page back.

Got my APIM today!
Tons of APIM issues and results. Just search the forum.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...h-bbb-here-is-the-outcome.56514/#post-1638592

Sponsored

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s my update one page back.

Tons of APIM issues and results. Just search the forum.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...h-bbb-here-is-the-outcome.56514/#post-1638592
Thanks. I have been searching- some of the forums people go quiet and never update if resolved or not- except for that one individual who spent their own money and labor installing a '21 F150 APIM... I did actually remember seeing your post but wasn't sure if, "picked up Sept 25 driving Bronco since," meant that you recieved your part or not. Well that's some hope- I will try to get it resolved through dealer/warranty. In the meantime, I am vehicle shopping. I am a gigging musician and I simply cannot go months without car music when I drive. It's the most primitive of features.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So how's it been confirmed that a software update is what bricks it? I actually have on my pickup list the disable updates so that I can control when and where any updates are applied.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So how's it been confirmed that a software update is what bricks it? I actually have on my pickup list the disable updates so that I can control when and where any updates are applied.
i'm not sure that has been confirmed.

Bronco_43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 91 Beretta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got an appointment 2 weeks sooner with a closer dealership to me. Thanks

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine just went black yesterday, 2 weeks into ownership. Got it in to the dealer this morning. They are acting like a day or two and it will be done, even with ordering the part. I think they are high, or not well informed. I will keep updating, as I get them myself.
Sponsored