Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Mine flickered off the on my way home from the dealership on day one. It came back, but this thread is a good study for those that think their Bronco will be worth something in 25 years. I have a 21 year old Jeep with about 10% of the computer chips (if that), and little connections all under the dash are absolute HELL to deal with when troubleshooting ANYTHING, and the Bronco has 10 times as many. That diagram above scares the bejeezus out of me.
Sponsored

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hi all,

After 9600 flawless miles, I've run into my first serious issue. After a full day of running errands in my 2021 Badlands Sasquatch, we went to an evening movie - on the drive we used the 12 inch touchscreen for nav, Apple Carplay, front/rear cameras, etc. On coming out of the theater a few hours later, the Bronco started just fine, but the 12 inch touchscreen stayed black. I turned the car off fully, locked and unlocked, restarted - still nothing. There's no response at all from the screen, the knobs do nothing, the camera button does nothing, there's no radio, navigation, etc. The USB ports below the screen don't appear to be providing power to our phones. The car otherwise runs fine - AC still works, auto start/stop is fine, headlights etc. all working, aux LEDs working.

Interestingly, I opened the Ford Pass app and noticed that Ford Power-Up 2.1.1 update ran yesterday. I don't know the exact time, but it would seem suspicious to me that this issue would rear its head on the exact same day as an update to the software. Is it possible that the update failed in some way or nuked the screen? The Ford Pass app shows the update as "successful".

I let the car sit overnight, tried starting up again at home this morning, and the issue remains. I've tried the volume button/fast forward restart and nothing happens. I disconnected the negative connection of the battery and reconnected after 20 minutes - still nothing.

Any ideas, tips, advice? My concern it's a chip issue, and I can't begin to imagine how long the wait for a replacement chip would be. Welcome any thoughts or things to look at or try. Thanks in advance!
Thanks. I’ll contact @flip in the morning. Do you mean this?
D3567A15-165A-43FF-A39D-856170A6AB34.jpeg
Hi blank Radio/Nav screen people...... I will take the next seat in line to everyone. I too had my display go dark right around the time of that late June update. Up until then everything with my FE Bronco was working perfectly. Took it on a week long drive out to Death Valley. Drove up some of the OR and WA coast, was loving it until late June early July....right around when the June over the air update came out. After that update my Bronco was mostly sitting in hibernation as its not my daily driver. About 10 days later I drove to pick up a buddy at the airport in early July and the screen wouldn't turn on. It's been essentially BRICKED since (early July). The second week in July is when I had enough time to take it into the dealership and I've been waiting for parts since. I've gotten no clear indication how long this is all expected to take.

Reading through previous posts, have tried all the usual home remedies like fuses, disconnecting the battery for an extended amount of time, holding the power and FF button.......all no luck. I'm driving around listening to a small bluetooth speaker to prevent public singing and or talking to myself. :LOL: Just curious how long others have been waiting.

Last edited:
OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi blank Radio/Nav screen people...... I will take the next seat in line to everyone. I too had my display go dark right around the time of that late June update. Up until then everything with my FE Bronco was working perfectly. Took it on a week long drive out to Death Valley. Drove up some of the OR and WA coast, was loving it until take June early July....right around when the June over the air update came out. Durning and after t hat update my Bronco was mostly sitting a week or so but when I drove to pick up a buddy at the airport in early July the screen wouldn't turn on. It's been essentially BRICKED since early July. The second week in July is when I had enough time to take it into the dealership and I've been waiting for parts since. I've gotten no clear indication how long this is all expected to take.

Reading through previous posts, have tried all the usual home remedies like fuses, disconnecting the battery for an extended amount of time, holding the power and FF button.......all no luck. I'm driving around listening to a small bluetooth speaker to prevent public singing and or talking to myself. :LOL: Just curious how long others have been waiting.
So sorry to hear - it's apparently a growing group. Mine died on June 14 and I've been waiting ever since. The dealership has no guidance whatsoever on when these things may be back in stock - their perception is that it could be a shockingly long time - and Ford offers absolutely zero clarity or real assistance. Miserable situation all around.

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So sorry to hear - it's apparently a growing group. Mine died on June 14 and I've been waiting ever since. The dealership has no guidance whatsoever on when these things may be back in stock - their perception is that it could be a shockingly long time - and Ford offers absolutely zero clarity or real assistance. Miserable situation all around.
Thats about the same impression I'm getting too. I actually wonder if there is some kinda venerability in the whole system? All these connected devices seems like open does for hackers. Not saying everyones a baddy but my system was working just great until that big software update in late June. Hmmmm.......just makes you wonder, not into conspiracy theories.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My dealer called and said the APIM part from the manufacturer is available. But Ford has not supplied the software for the part. She’s calling someone (no clue who) to try to find something out.

Sponsored

phishphood

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

theres another thread here somwhere with the same info, but my APIM died at the end of march and i dropped my bronco off at the dealer on April 1st. it has been there ever since. dealership has provided a loaner for the duration but this week will be five months without my vehicle. dealership cant do anything, customer service cant do anything, ford credit WONT do anything. new machines keep rolling off the line with working APIMs, though.

the last communication with customer service said that the part is direct shipped to the dealer and that ford is "working diligently on getting the programming fixed".

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

theres another thread here somwhere with the same info, but my APIM died at the end of march and i dropped my bronco off at the dealer on April 1st. it has been there ever since. dealership has provided a loaner for the duration but this week will be five months without my vehicle. dealership cant do anything, customer service cant do anything, ford credit WONT do anything. new machines keep rolling off the line with working APIMs, though.

the last communication with customer service said that the part is direct shipped to the dealer and that ford is "working diligently on getting the programming fixed".
It certainly sounds like Ford did in fact have a latent bug in the APIM software code that causes the units to brick themselves when some unplanned event happens. The proof is in the fact Ford is not releasing the new APIM modules until they get the programming fixed.

This is not unheard of, I've seen it in other industries in their electronic modules. It points to the software being rushed and then it was not adequately tested by experienced software test engineers. Hopefully try 2.0 will be better.

phishphood

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It certainly sounds like Ford did in fact have a latent bug in the APIM software code that causes the units to brick themselves when some unplanned event happens. The proof is in the fact Ford is not releasing the new APIM modules until they get the programming fixed.

This is not unheard of, I've seen it in other industries in their electronic modules. It points to the software being rushed and then it was not adequately tested by experienced software test engineers. Hopefully try 2.0 will be better.
at month 3, i talked to the service manager about getting all the trim put back on and driving it around without the infotainment center. he said some of the functions for climate control might be affected by the bad APIM and AC could be unreliable, so i decided to just leave it with them. no way am i rolling through central TX without AC in July/August/Sept. may just change my mind in October after the first cool front lands.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

at month 3, i talked to the service manager about getting all the trim put back on and driving it around without the infotainment center. he said some of the functions for climate control might be affected by the bad APIM and AC could be unreliable, so i decided to just leave it with them. no way am i rolling through central TX without AC in July/August/Sept. may just change my mind in October after the first cool front lands.
Texas Lemon!

No way I'd be okay with making loan payments on a vehicle that's been in the shop for 5 months, F that.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Climate controls still work from the buttons and knobs on the climate control unit, but you cannot access some functions that are only available on the screen (e.g., A/C floor vents to the back seats). But A/C (and presumably heater) from the front vents work well, despite the APIM being out.

Sponsored

phishphood

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Texas Lemon!

No way I'd be okay with making loan payments on a vehicle that's been in the shop for 5 months, F that.
believe me, i looked into it. doesn't pass the "four times" or "safety hazard" tests, and since the dealership has provided a loaner for the entire time, it doesn't pass the "30-day" test.

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Climate controls still work from the buttons and knobs on the climate control unit, but you cannot access some functions that are only available on the screen (e.g., A/C floor vents to the back seats). But A/C (and presumably heater) from the front vents work well, despite the APIM being out.
wait…..there’s a button that allows floor vents to the back? I thought that was automatic.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wait…..there’s a button that allows floor vents to the back? I thought that was automatic.
Not a button. I think there is a control on the screen that allows you to split the A/C air flow between the dash vents and the floor, but I cannot verify that right now, sooooo…. 🤷‍♂️

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs