Sponsored

Servicing my badlands, and nervousness with that.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last vehicle I bought came with three free oil changes at the dealer. I may or may not need a forth, it's being traded in...
Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay so these things when they start rolling in are going to be unicorns for awhile, and high dollar ones at that. The badlands I have specced out is ~54k which is twice as much as Iā€™ve spent on a car till now. Iā€™m buying Granger, but it doesnā€™t make sense for me to drive back for service (4 hours one way) once bought as much as Iā€™d love to. The two dealers I have in town arenā€™t the most respectable but theyā€™re what Iā€™ll have. Whatā€™s the best way to go about ensuring that when I take it in for service that itā€™s done properly and not taken for any joyrides? I am gonna baby the crap outta this thing and may even end up doing my own meticulously documented oil changes, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll have to take it in at some point. Iā€™m all ears for ideas and thoughts on this!
Don't you have a mechanic you can trust?

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do my own oil changes...but itā€™s a tough truck. Not a Rolls Royce. Drive it hard and enjoy it...do what you can yourself, but donā€™t sweat the other stuff. Donā€™t baby the thing.

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do my own oil changes...but itā€™s a tough truck. Or a Rolls Royce. Drive it hard and enjoy it...do what you can yourself, but donā€™t sweat the other stuff. Donā€™t baby the thing.
But I wanna baby it ?

in all seriousness my current vehicle went into a dealer I thought I could trust when it was a year old with 20k miles. 30 miles down the road the drain plug dropped out and it dumped oil at 75mph. Likely caused enough engine damage that the engine failed completely at 80k miles and then had a bad replacement at a different shop of that engine causing another engine failure and replacement at a third shop at 84k miles. All told it was in the shop for 9 and a half months. Never again will I trust a dealer for service completely.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But I wanna baby it ?

in all seriousness my current vehicle went into a dealer I thought I could trust when it was a year old with 20k miles. 30 miles down the road the drain plug dropped out and it dumped oil at 75mph. Likely caused enough engine damage that the engine failed completely at 80k miles and then had a bad replacement at a different shop of that engine causing another engine failure and replacement at a third shop at 84k miles. All told it was in the shop for 9 and a half months. Never again will I trust a dealer for service completely.
Wow, I see your concern there after that. Do whatever you can yourself.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear you on the nervous. Have seen a couple stalls from the oil change kid not adept on a manual on my Subaru bringing it in or out and the occasional whiff of burned clutch when getting in it to leave at various dealers across the Country(guarantee the service manager will never be able to smell it), normally travel about 250-300 days a year for work, it is rare that I hit the same dealer twice for service, just move on an try the next one down the road if you have problems. Not a satisfying answer, but it is realistic.

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah i feel great when I look at the service bill, and box 1 is checked "non skilled technician" oil lube service. Very re assuring, they should start that with part 91 and 35 ops.?
Part 91 ops.... Iā€™m dying ? fellow av head over here I see.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. Learn to do it yourself
2. Most quick lube shops are small enough where you can always be in sight of your Bronco
3. Or if you are super paranoid, find a drive through quick lube where you don't even have to get out of your ride

OP
OP
midwestpilot

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He's in Louisville flying brown airplanes now 75 capt.
Thatā€™s awesome! Probably met him at some point. 1900 is a great airplane, I love flying this thing. D models got great power and some cool stuff but I love the C cause no wacko looking forehead haha.

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Come to think of it, I would definitely do it yourself, you don't need a lift or a jack. Couple basic hand tools oil filter wrench. And a nice comfy carpet runner. Plenty of room under a bronco or jeep. Send it out for analysis, you will know what's trending or going on in that engine more than any "non skilled technician at the dealership will.
Is there any specific reason you keep quoting yourself? You do know there is an edit button, right?

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did know about the edit button, didn't really know how to add more information after I made a post, but I think you just answered that for me. Thank you? it was looking kind of odd when it said I quoted myself.
Anytime! Was just curious is all.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did know about the edit button, didn't really know how to add more information after I made a post, but I think you just answered that for me. Thank you? it was looking kind of odd when it said I quoted myself. I'm going to use it right now. This is the first forum I have been on since aol launched in late 90's i never joined jk or jl wrangler forum. I just read all the info like it was a magazine. Excited for the new bronco though!
Cute

I had a hunch that due to the allure of the Bronco,, an iconic vehicle with decades of legacy,, we probably had a lot of guys new to forums or some who probably don't use computers much

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well you could always just change your oil in your driveway
Sponsored