Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJ, '23 2dr BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love the front bumper and thinking about pulling the trigger on it, but the rear bumper I'm on the fence on. Almost think it would be better with the hitch cutout extended as far out as possible.

@StinkBug I live about 15-20min from your shop, maybe I could pick up a front and get a look at the rear?
Sponsored

OP
OP
StinkBug

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I love the front bumper and thinking about pulling the trigger on it, but the rear bumper I'm on the fence on. Almost think it would be better with the hitch cutout extended as far out as possible.

@StinkBug I live about 15-20min from your shop, maybe I could pick up a front and get a look at the rear?
They are bare steel, so it would be pretty easy to modify one before paint/powdercoat. We're not really set up for in-person sales, but shoot me a DM and maybe we can work something out. I should have at least one installed on my Bronco in the next couple weeks if you wanna see it all in place. It's at the powdercoater right now.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco SFR - StinkyFab Racing begins Bronco Product Production 1701923378011

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@StinkBug just discovered your skid plate kit.... you're the answer to the question I always ask myself - 'why is everyone's skid plate design SO LOW'. Absolutely LOVE how tight up and tucked your skids are. I think you have the best design I've seen as fas as providing real, serious protection without immediately chopping off 2" of clearance everywhere.

Do you have a weight for your complete setup? Any chance you'll ever be doing a similar design in aluminum?

OP
OP
StinkBug

StinkBug

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not in the shop at the moment so I don't have the exact numbers, but off the top of my head I know the front skid set is around 60lbs, the trans skid is around 30ish. As for Aluminum, probably not in the immediate future, but I won't say not at all. To build skids from Aluminum with the same level of strength and durability you have to add both thickness, and support structure. In the end you don't end up saving much weight, but you do add a lot of expense. Also aluminum is more "sticky" than steel, and doesn't slide over rocks as well. I'm a big fan of putting the right material in the right place. We've been building 7075 suspension and steering links for years now because the spring like qualities of that material make it a perfect choice for the application, and compared to heavy wall steel there's a substantial weight savings. In a skid plate the advantages are a bit less clear.

Sponsored

ar1

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I like that weight is a selling point. 45lb is quite a light bumper as compared to the 80lb factory modular.

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not in the shop at the moment............In a skid plate the advantages are a bit less clear.
Fair enough. I'm a little concerned about weight with some of the stuff I'm doing, But I think the protection is worth it.

Love your high, tight to the frame design. I'll be ordering a set soon here.
Sponsored