First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you mean EL or Max? With the ecoboost they are great cars, I wouldn't want one with the 3V. lol
2007 with the 5.4 Triton 3-valve.

3-valve motor is solid. I think I had 168,000 miles on it when I sold it.

I did pay my mechanic to change the spark plugs at 120k, because I was chicken to do it myself. ;-)
Sponsored

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I did pay my mechanic to change the spark plugs at 120k, because I was chicken to do it myself. ;-)
Glad you had good luck with it. I would be scared of the cam phasers. lol

I happily paid to have the plugs changed in my old 2v 5.4 as I did not want to deal with a stretched plug or 8.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think our MSRP was $82k, not cheap by any means, but we love it. We lease it and get a new one every 3 years. It works for us.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base

Glad you had good luck with it. I would be scared of the cam phasers. lol

I happily paid to have the plugs changed in my old 2v 5.4 as I did not want to deal with a stretched plug or 8.
Was talking with our fleet mechanic at work yesterday and he brought up the 3 valves. We have a bunch of them in the fleet. He's of the opinion that the reason people have trouble with them is solely from letting the oil go too long. Has had no trouble out of them with 3k changes and keeping oil topped off.
Not trying to start an oil thread. Just thought it was an interesting take on the subject.
Ymmv.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was talking with our fleet mechanic at work yesterday and he brought up the 3 valves. We have a bunch of them in the fleet. He's of the opinion that the reason people have trouble with them is solely from letting the oil go too long.
Never had an issue with the 4.6 version of the 3-valve in the Mustang either. Had the transmission grenade doing 90 on I-10 (that was "fun") but the motors were solid.

Sold those when the tops started failing because new soft tops costs more than it the cars were worth at that point.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think our MSRP was $82k, not cheap by any means, but we love it. We lease it and get a new one every 3 years. It works for us.
I just went into Ford's website and built one like I would want, you're right it was almost to the number at $82g. Still too rich for my blood and I tend to like to keep certain cars for a long time.

Was talking with our fleet mechanic at work yesterday and he brought up the 3 valves. We have a bunch of them in the fleet. He's of the opinion that the reason people have trouble with them is solely from letting the oil go too long. Has had no trouble out of them with 3k changes and keeping oil topped off.
Not trying to start an oil thread. Just thought it was an interesting take on the subject.
Ymmv.
I absolutely don't doubt that. I've never had a 3V 5.4L. I'm just going by what I've heard. They are just kinda like NorthStar's ya just never know. (my mom had a NorthStar and it was great right up to where the wattenty was going to end. lol

Never had an issue with the 4.6 version of the 3-valve in the Mustang either. Had the transmission grenade doing 90 on I-10 (that was "fun") but the motors were solid.

Sold those when the tops started failing because new soft tops costs more than it the cars were worth at that point.
I've owned and own a 3V 4.6L, I haven't heard the same concerns with them as I did with the 5.4's. But it could be like Dingbat said... an oiling issue. Where maintainance was differed too much.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah my Expedition EL was awesome. I miss it, especially because I think USAA totaling was a waste. But I did not want to go through the hassle of the rebuild and branded title. Such is life. It did everything I asked of it and needed it to do. I really liked it.

My 4-door Bronco is great, but it isn't big enough for moving everyone. Doing it once was enough, the kids packed three across in the backseat was a hard sell. We were going to use my big silly truck but it has less internal cab room and I may be weird but I didn't want to put my dog in the capped bed with the bitter cold temps.

Do you mean EL or Max? With the ecoboost they are great cars, I wouldn't want one with the 3V. lol

Agreed, just struck me as odd the Bronco has come up as an alternative as it seems they are still rather hard to come by. The prices on them seemed a bit high but I don't think they were big mark ups on them. I guess it seems Broncos may be hard to move now? I'm not sure but it seems that mark up and scarcity is still the norm. Hence my surprise.

As others said, I agree the Expedition was a great car, I need the space for my kiddos and will happily buy another. Once I find the one I want. I am taking it very slow as I just have a feeling the used car market prices are going to drop.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
Did you try to buff it out?