Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys would be surprised how well some plastics (abs) holds paint. My side thing is working with Abs making aero parts for Mustangs and subi's, and I've done quite a few finishes on them, from high gloss paint, to wrapping with vinyl (will stick well as long as there is some sort of paint on them), to hydrodipping. Now I'm not saying the MIC tops are ABS... I'm not sure. But seems like they are sandable.... Pretty sure the mod tops would be made with the same material just no texture... Also... Bumper trim paint as long as the plastic is cleaned right bonds really well... Thus black top... Pretty sure it won't be a huge deal. I may wind up doing my own match on the mic top to the plastic fender flares.... And to the post comparing the mic top to 1980's Volvo bumper.... Lol.. come on Karen!!

Ford Bronco Si who wants the MIC top? WT and FE? omg-wt
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fat dog

Black Diamond
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You guys would be surprised how well some plastics (abs) holds paint. My side thing is working with Abs making aero parts for Mustangs and subi's, and I've done quite a few finishes on them, from high gloss paint, to wrapping with vinyl (will stick well as long as there is some sort of paint on them), to hydrodipping. Now I'm not saying the MIC tops are ABS... I'm not sure. But seems like they are sandable.... Pretty sure the mod tops would be made with the same material just no texture... Also... Bumper trim paint as long as the plastic is cleaned right bonds really... Thus black top... Pretty sure it won't be a huge deal. I may wind up doing my own match on the mic top to the plastic fender flares.... And to the post comparing the mic top to 1980's Volvo bumper.... Lol.. come on Karen!!

I get this. Been modifying vehicles my whole life, since 16. Done a lot of crazy stuff. Some works, some not so much. When I drop 50k on a vehicle, I donā€™t want to have to spray paint it to get it how I want. There are a lot of great options out there for under 50k or just over. I think Ford is bleeding buyers by the day.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get this. Been modifying vehicles my whole life, since 16. Done a lot of crazy stuff. Some works, some not so much. When I drop 50k on a vehicle, I donā€™t want to have to spray paint it to get it how I want. There are a lot of great options out there for under 50k or just over. I think Ford is bleeding buyers by the day.
Yeah man, I feel that too. I actually like the latest versions of the mic top that look to be a much closer match to the flares... And mine will be outdoors doing outdoorsy shit... Just saying in a few years, if it doesn't age well.. which we don't know yet... It is fixable. Doing it yourself. Piece by piece. haha.
I also had a shadow black mustang for 2 years. Fuck that color. Scratches without even seemingly touching it... Chips everywhere... Drying marks that are a mother effer to get off... Just an absolute pain in the ass to keep looking half decent. That on a top that'll be coming on and off over and over... And in the woods? Ummm nope.

Fat dog

Black Diamond
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah man, I feel that too. I actually like the latest versions of the mic top that look to be a much closer match to the flares... And mine will be outdoors doing outdoorsy shit... Just saying in a few years, if it doesn't age well.. which we don't know yet... It is fixable. Doing it yourself. Piece by piece. haha
Props to you. Seriously. My bronco will see Galveston beaches regularly. And thatā€™s about it. She wonā€™t see a hard life. Just need a passenger seat cover for my dog. Iā€™m trying to make up for the 82 bronco I used to own. Loved that truck. So big. Lol

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This topic is getting beat to death on almost every public forum. It is what it is. Webasto built a $47 million plant to build the tops for Ford, they broke ground in 2019 and then got smacked with Covid-19.
At this time Iā€™m happy to get my FE and the MIC top actually coordinates better with the bumpers and flares. Hereā€™s a good picture in the sunlight from today in Scottsdale; I think it looks ok.
Yep, it looks great! And while I also preferred the painted top, the MIC has itā€™s own advantages... it weighs less, itā€™s less expensive, it wonā€™t get scratched as easily, and it doesnā€™t need polishing.

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh no. Life happened. I mean... thereā€™s a lot of circumstances that have made this entire launch a giant PITA.

you can have a bronco in 2021 or you can get the bronco exactly how you want sometime in the future. Not both.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Props to you. Seriously. My bronco will see Galveston beaches regularly. And thatā€™s about it. She wonā€™t see a hard life. Just need a passenger seat cover for my dog. Iā€™m trying to make up for the 82 bronco I used to own. Loved that truck. So big. Lol
If the borders ever open mine will see some west coast beaches in Washington and Oregon... Love it down there.šŸ˜

Fat dog

Black Diamond
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the borders ever open mine will see some west coast beaches in Washington and Oregon... Love it down there.šŸ˜
Seeing as how the Canada has an f1 driver and America doesnā€™t, you guys are up on us

Fat dog

Black Diamond
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Come down close to texas. Itā€™s great all around our state. Just donā€™t come here. Too many outsiders coming in currently.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone else worried that all the plastics/MIC top are going to fade like crazy?!?!
Not any more so than on my Jeeps, which haven't had a particular issue with fading.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

[
F030EAF5-2017-4F29-B5C3-09793ED7FB71.jpeg

Anyone else worried that all the plastics/MIC top are going to fade like crazy?!?!
People are worried about the mic top fading but keep in mind every piece of plastic on our Broncos is going to fade if you donā€™t apply a UV protectant! I was butt hurt for about five minutes when I rdad I couldnā€™t get the modular top for my first edition but itā€™s no big deal because as soon as BESTOP comes out with the two door convertible top Iā€™ll be putting that on my Bronco šŸ˜‰.

DB827C7D-7565-4E95-A71F-12EFAA18391A.jpeg
Sponsored