Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi fine folks,

I need some advice. I took my 7MT Bronco in for service, TSB and a recall repair. Service was an oil change and tire rotation. The TSB was an adjustment of the soft top and some felt and clear material as a barrier for rubbing. The soft top somehow wore away the paint into the metal, so that needed painted too. The recall was the removal and reinstallation of the windshield, which required paint work too.

Dropped it off on a Monday. Got it back the next Tuesday. I was already a little annoyed.

The lot attendant brings the bronco around from the back freshly cleaned. From about 20 feet away I could smell the clutch. An extreme smell of clutch; much like the clutches I ruined back in the day being an idiot teenager. I asked the attendant why my I can smell my clutch. He says, "I don't know but I can tell you I drive a manual Focus RS and I just pulled it around front" implying he was not the cause. I pulled out of the dealership a little peeved, thinking it was just some minor riding of the clutch. The entire cabin is full of burning clutch smell. At the gas station a few miles down the road it still smelled terrible.

I decided to do a very soft hill slip test and nothing was slipping. Got home and the damn thing still stunk.

One key piece of information is that the body shop is 30 minutes away from the dealership. It was driven about an hour to and from.

The next day I called the customer satisfaction manager and explained the whole story. She needed to get back to me after consulting with the service manager. It's been 7 days and I can still faintly smell the clutch outside and inside, even after sitting cold for awhile. I am taking the vehicle in later this week and meeting with the service manager.

I know well enough a big chunk of a clutches life can vanish quickly with some very bad driving. Driving that would produce week long burning clutch odor. I don't believe there is any easy way to prove anything. I'm expecting they will give me some BS excuse and do nothing for me.

What should I be asking for?

I believe dropping the tranny is the only way to inspect the clutch correct?

I have an extended warranty, but I do not think the clutch is covered by any warranty.

I'm likely going to get belligerent if they tell me they didn't do it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sounds like they were burning it up. Call your insurance? have them go after the service center

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That suck man. This is one of my biggest fears bringing any MT to the dealer...someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick. I make it a point to make sure the service people know that it is a MT and my expectations that only someone qualified drive it.

Have you contacted the body shop for their story?

OP
OP
fuesting

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sounds like they were burning it up. Call your insurance? have them go after the service center
How would my car insurance help me with this type of thing? I've never thought of this or heard of this. Please educate me.

OP
OP
fuesting

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That suck man. This is one of my biggest fears bringing any MT to the dealer...someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick. I make it a point to make sure the service people know that it is a MT and my expectations that only someone qualified drive it.

Have you contacted the body shop for their story?
They specifically assign a person that knows how to drive a manual, at least at the main dealership. To and from the dealer, I have no idea. Can't trust anyone these days. The body shop and dealer are under the same umbrella.
Sponsored