First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just ordered mine this past week from 4wp and it came in yesterday. Going to try and install it this weekend and will report back.

I had an annoying sound coming from the tailgate every time I hit a bump from my heavier wheel and tire package. I have read through all the forums checked everything and can't figure it out. I had the rough country bracket and raquet balls on the rear bump stops and it helped some but didn't go away entirely. Hoping that replacing the hinges will fix it but we will see.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One thing that seems odd is that the carrier only supports half the tire mount? The other half is still bolted into the normal tailgate.

Any reason this support doesn't support all the way across?

vanlab

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrek, Ford transit, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hmm, nice....I have the hammerbuilt plate and still am weary of the flex I get with a rotopax and spare :|

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would pass, you want a full plate behind the mount for that kind of money. Also you want to transfer as much force to the hinge as possible. The full plate also helps spread the force so you have less chance of wrinkling the sheet metal. It's looks good just not as good as few other options.

Side note I backed my spare into a tree last outing try to get a better line. I zero damage with my hammerbuilt, but I definitely want a hinge upgrade down the line. I think these plates definitely have a use but they are not the 100% long term fix.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bstottlemyer85

bstottlemyer85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - NonSas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would pass, you want a full plate behind the mount for that kind of money. Also you want to transfer as much force to the hinge as possible. The full plate also helps spread the force so you have less chance of wrinkling the sheet metal. It's looks good just not as good as few other options.

Side note I backed my spare into a tree last outing try to get a better line. I zero damage with my hammerbuilt, but I definitely want a hinge upgrade down the line. I think these plates definitely have a use but they are not the 100% long term fix.
This one replaces the hinges, and the plate is built into the hinges.
Ford Bronco Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier - 6143 Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 12.22.49 PM

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like the hinge upgrade but agree with the others, that needs to be a full plate across the tire carrier mount.

Seems silly that they have the spacer on the other side when they could have just gone all the way across and really helped spread the load.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking the Turn off road will be my solution. The RTR is very nice well, but just a bit $$$$ for what it is.

vanlab

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrek, Ford transit, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Yeah, Since the plate is there I'm not gunna buy another....I saw that they were testing some new hinges....for now i'm running what I got till an issue crops.

Stu10

Outer Banks
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Finally got around to installing the Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier and the awful tailgate noise/rattle is completely gone! That in itself makes every penny worth it! Took me about 2 hours and had someone help me hold the bracket to the tailgate while I hand screwed everything in.

The whole piece is heavier than I thought it would be, it feels incredibly strong. I am very happy with the look of it as well!

If any one has any questions I am happy to answer them. I have attached a few pictures (I still need to extend my stock bump stops).

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
bstottlemyer85

bstottlemyer85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - NonSas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally got around to installing the Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier and the awful tailgate noise/rattle is completely gone! That in itself makes every penny worth it! Took me about 2 hours and had someone help me hold the bracket to the tailgate while I hand screwed everything in.

The whole piece is heavier than I thought it would be, it feels incredibly strong. I am very happy with the look of it as well!

If any one has any questions I am happy to answer them. I have attached a few pictures (I still need to extend my stock bump stops).

Ford Bronco Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier - 6143 Pic 3

Looks good, have you had any experiences with the others that you could compare too?

Stu10

Outer Banks
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks good, have you had any experiences with the others that you could compare too?
Yes, I was using the rough country tailgate bracket and it did not fix the annoying noise that came every time I hit a bump. It really didn’t even make a difference from stock with the noise. So my issue was with the hinges and the Smittybilt replaces the entire hinge setup and requires that you remove the rear taillight and replace those two additional support pieces that attach to the frame.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the SB bring a different tire carrier piece? or does it use the stock piece?

B_Dominant

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FORD BRONCO SASQUATCH
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can you remove that SB logo? Kinda an eye sore
Sponsored