LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did some checking earlier on 7MT availability at the off rodeos and it's the primary reason I'm not interested in going, don't want to drive an auto.

Interesting that they put the soft top on that one.
that's ridiculous!! You are doing a serious disservice to yourself by letting that stand in your way. Off-Rodeo Highly Recommended, Had an incredible time, met great people and believe it or not, learned a few things!!!!!!
Sponsored

LeBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Expedition Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
im not knocking anyone here but i just cant imagine any application where manual would be preferable off road over the auto!!!!!!! especially steep bouldering/crawling. what a pain in the ass! the auto works so well shifts better than any other ford 10 speed application i have driven. the one pedal feature is sick also.

OP
OP
KGRoberts

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've punched people in the face for doing stuff less stupid.
Yeah, not a good idea.

Ford Bronco Smokin' 7MT's at the Off-Roadeo. 1644091653107

Regarding hand throttle, I'm trying to visualize. Would the lever be mounted on the dash-side of the shift-knob so you could control it with ring&little finger, as you described earlier?

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here is a picture from farther out, from the passenger side of the jeep.
The lever is installed on the passenger side of the shifter rod, pointing towards the rear of the jeep. Lifting it up, gives gas. It is primarily used in first gear. The way I grab the shift knob in first gear is why this works for me. To shift to first, third and fifth, you push the shift knob forward the thumb on the left side of the shift knob the other 4 fingers on the passenger side. The knob will be in the V created by your thumb and forefinger. That lines up the ring and pinky finger and allows you to pull the lever up.

Sounds a little odd, but it's very comfortable and works for me. I ran it just like this when I was competing in my last jeep

Ford Bronco Smokin' 7MT's at the Off-Roadeo. 1644100162025

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those times when you need 3 feet while Rock Crawling

1642389885079.png
Yep had one in my XJ. Best mod ever. Aren't Broncos drive by wire though?

You are if you burn up the clutch plates. I would much rather start it in gear than mash it into gear. Using the starter motor to climb over rocks use be be an old trail trick because of the greater gear reduction. Yes I've shifted plenty without the slave to disengage the clutch. YMMV :cool:

Last edited:

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have I missed something? Every clutch I've ever owned, when 'blown,' disconnects the engine from the driveline. Running the starter rotates a 'free' engine, but unless the clutch plate(s) make contact and hold to the flywheel and pressure plate, the transmission is not able to transmit rotational force to the transfer case and driveshafts.

Now, if the motor will not start due to defect or lack of fuel, in crawl/4low, the starter can move the vehicle a limited distance, but it still needs clutch material present to do so, this is where jumpering or bypassing the clutch switch would be handy as a selectable option.

Nope, you've got it right. If the clutch is blown, you aren't going anywhere as there is nothing to transfer power from the flywheel to the transmission.

Clutch bypass is certainly a useful item, but it's not going to help if the clutch is toast as it doesn't actually bypass the clutch but rather the disengagement of the clutch.

Last edited:

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

im not knocking anyone here but i just cant imagine any application where manual would be preferable off road over the auto!!!!!!! especially steep bouldering/crawling. what a pain in the ass! the auto works so well shifts better than any other ford 10 speed application i have driven. the one pedal feature is sick also.
I kinda like the challenge of doing it with a manual transmission.
Sponsored