Sponsored

So, what does "Several roof options" really mean?

Sub_Sonarman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus SE, 2018 F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NHTSA rules are different for "convertibles" because there are so few deaths related to rollovers. The bigger problem is liability. I suppose it would be possible for the Bronco to incorporate some form of automated roll protection system so that the roll bar can come out. As far as I know, even Jeep's don't call them roll bars or roll cages. I think they still call them sport bars due to liability.
Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

how do you think the noise on the tops will compare the jeeps?

I understand that road noise is just part of the package when you have a removable roof. But maybe Ford has something that will help a little bit.
I'm hoping Ford will put some sort of sound deadening into the top as well.

Wrong, my 6g Mustang doesn't have shit but a windshield if I rollover. All it has is extra bracing underneath
I said MOST. I didn't say ALL. I have a Mustang convertible too and I'm well aware it doesn't have a ROPS system. However, occupants are also sitting lower in them than other convertibles.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

I said MOST. I didn't say ALL. I have a Mustang convertible too and I'm well aware it doesn't have a ROPS system. However, occupants are also sitting lower in them than other convertibles.
the main reason why sports cars don’t have roll bars is their LOW center of gravity. Very hard to roll over.

a Bronco is much much much more top heavy. Hell the wrangler rolled over on the front overlap test.

Sub_Sonarman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus SE, 2018 F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sound dampening soft top under the hardtop would be great.

The ROPS is just a numbers game. Somewhere around 100 people die in convertibles every year due to lack of ROPS, so it's just not cost effective to include it all vehicles, especially lower end units. The cost would be beared by the customer and it's the customers that don't want to pay for it. It's like seatbelts in school busses.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe for convertibles there is something from an engineering standpoint around the windshield strength/angle/hight to carry the weight of the overturned vehicle to create a triangle with the passenger compartment. Also as already mentioned center of gravity plays a huge part in possible roll over.

That said, if the bronco does not have a lay down windshield and is strong enough and tall enough the cage requirement to have one might mean they can be swapped out for different styles and remain legal. I imagine the factory one will be stamped and bulky from a cost/manufacturing standpoint but making a legal aftermarket one that is "less" visible or sleeker...even just something like a b pillar between the 4 doors or c after the door of a 2door as a simple hoop might be legal.

Sponsored

Mcfly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been quite about this. This is the 20th time I've seen people talking that they hope the roll cage is removable... To be clear. They did an end to that in the mid 70s as far as trucks go. This why bronco and k5 blazer moved to half solid roof trucks for safety reasons come mid 70s. Have you seen how many people roll Jeep's over? There will never be a modern off roader from the factory that allows you to drive around with just a windshield.
I guess what the 20+ comments that came before come down to is...... what is the point of the below patent, if it is “patently” illegal?

Ford Bronco So, what does "Several roof options" really mean? 1593991564463

OP
OP
ExJPR

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess what the 20+ comments that came before come down to is...... what is the point of the below patent, if it is “patently” illegal?

Ford Bronco So, what does "Several roof options" really mean? 1593991564463
Yep, I would not have even brought it up had this patent not been shown to us moons ago.

Covfefe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Your Bronco Model
Base
It already has frame-less doors which is EXCELLENT for when the top is down, because there won't be any stupid pillars obstructing your freedom, BUT if it's also cageless... THAT WAS BE SO AMAZING! LITERALLY MY DREAM CAR!
Ford Bronco So, what does "Several roof options" really mean? Hyundai-Cabriolet-29

Dream Car Requirements: Convertible, Ground Clearance, AWD, 4 Doors, NO CAGES, NO WINDOW FRAMES!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It already has frame-less doors which is EXCELLENT for when the top is down, because there won't be any stupid pillars obstructing your freedom, BUT if it's also cageless... THAT WAS BE SO AMAZING! LITERALLY MY DREAM CAR!
Ford Bronco So, what does "Several roof options" really mean? Hyundai-Cabriolet-29

Dream Car Requirements: Convertible, Ground Clearance, AWD, 4 Doors, NO CAGES, NO WINDOW FRAMES!
Tell me thats a bronco sport xl test mule!

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What fresh hell is this?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What fresh hell is this?
A 3 row convertible Elantra?

But can you imagine it as a bronco sport? Wouldnt seem so bad then.