Parker0076

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Still can’t figure out why they only put 3 lug nuts on the spare. I think it looks cheap. That being said, I now have all 6 on mine. I originally was going to add 3 studs (or 12x1.50 bolts) to the tire holder by drilling holes in it, but at the last minute decided to TRY “Hot gluing “ the lug nuts on. I cleaned the wheel and lug nut with degreaser prior to gluing. I purposely broke one free a few times to see how good it will hold, and in my opinion I believe they will hold just fine. Time will tell and I will update as time goes on and I go through the Carwash a few times. Before anyone jumps on me about the “locking Nut”, I know they are easily defeated, but might slow some of the amateurs up, either way….it’s cheap piece of mind.

F393AABD-B38B-4914-96A7-2407F34EB1FD.jpeg
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait.. so it’s not even functional. You just glued some lug nuts onto your wheel?

Also, why are you posting this in the raptor section?

Last edited:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of us have our aesthetic sensitivities. I get that.

I have a functional problem related to this. I was wrestling my flat (Badlands Sasquatch LT315/70R17/C) onto the rear rack after a tire change, and was having trouble hefting it onto the rear gate tire mount (getting old here, alas). I managed to scrape or gouge the threading on the right-top stud, and now won't accept the nut, leaving me with two holding the spare on. 😟 They've been sufficient--so far--but I can't rely on that indefinitely.
I showed it to my dealer's service manager, and he wants to sell me the complete rack assembly at about $1100! (Fink!). The lug is not bolted on, but is somehow affixed like a welded-in carriage bolt, hard to "feel" how it's joined.
My first approach will be to have a machinist re-thread the lug. If that doesn't work, does anybody have any ideas or experience on removing and replacing a spare-tire rack's stud?

Bike007b

Black Diamond
First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I have a functional problem related to this. I was wrestling my flat (Badlands Sasquatch LT315/70R17/C) onto the rear rack after a tire change, and was having trouble hefting it onto the rear gate tire mount (getting old here, alas). I managed to scrape or gouge the threading on the right-top stud, and now won't accept the nut, leaving me with two holding the spare on. 😟 They've been sufficient--so far--but I can't rely on that indefinitely.
I showed it to my dealer's service manager, and he wants to sell me the complete rack assembly at about $1100! (Fink!). The lug is not bolted on, but is somehow affixed like a welded-in carriage bolt, hard to "feel" how it's joined.
My first approach will be to have a machinist re-thread the lug. If that doesn't work, does anybody have any ideas or experience on removing and replacing a spare-tire rack's stud?
That is too bad, that could happen to any of us.

a) usually you can run a die over the threads.
b) a little bit of a high price to pay for the fix from the dealer.
c) I’m sure the dealer could fix that without a whole new part.
d) good luck.

OP
OP
Parker0076

Parker0076

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You could get a THREAD FILE and clean the threads up yourself. I used to work in the machine tool industry assembling machines and i have thread file. Very easy to do. They’re made in metric and American.

D0DEDCEE-3E17-46FA-8588-32CD3B01A3DF.jpeg

24EC5BD3-D3B8-464F-A96B-AD9600F9A9A1.jpeg

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I would see if Harbor Freight has a tap and die set with the proper thread pitch and try it yourself first.

Sponsored

UniBroncorn

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Still can’t figure out why they only put 3 lug nuts on the spare. I think it looks cheap. That being said, I now have all 6 on mine. I originally was going to add 3 studs (or 12x1.50 bolts) to the tire holder by drilling holes in it, but at the last minute decided to TRY “Hot gluing “ the lug nuts on. I cleaned the wheel and lug nut with degreaser prior to gluing. I purposely broke one free a few times to see how good it will hold, and in my opinion I believe they will hold just fine. Time will tell and I will update as time goes on and I go through the Carwash a few times. Before anyone jumps on me about the “locking Nut”, I know they are easily defeated, but might slow some of the amateurs up, either way….it’s cheap piece of mind.

F393AABD-B38B-4914-96A7-2407F34EB1FD.jpeg
In my opinion, I would not trust your opinion "they will hold just fine". All fun and games until one flys off and hits a vehicle, cyclist or pedestrian.

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I have a functional problem related to this. I was wrestling my flat (Badlands Sasquatch LT315/70R17/C) onto the rear rack after a tire change, and was having trouble hefting it onto the rear gate tire mount (getting old here, alas). I managed to scrape or gouge the threading on the right-top stud, and now won't accept the nut, leaving me with two holding the spare on.  They've been sufficient--so far--but I can't rely on that indefinitely.

I have a set similar to this, they're great, put them on the stud where the threads are still good and then thread them off. Never have to worry about being crooked when making a repair.

Steelman M12-1.50 Metric Split Die Thread Chaser, Indexing Pins, Steel, Repairs Threads on Wheel Studs and Bolts https://a.co/d/4Fpfo5c

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Strongly suggest epoxy over hot glue. Probably 100x stronger...

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base

Tap and die set, cheap and easy.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford saves 3 lug nuts for every bronco and the labor to install 3 more lug nuts. That’s why there are 3 vs 6.

As several have said get a die and fix the threads yourself.
Sponsored